DCS World, Starforce, VM

Krebs20

Is there any type of DRM with DCS world? With a free game? If starforce is gone, does that mean we can start hosting DCS on a dedicated server VM? Or are there more barriers to hosting on a VM I am not aware of?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If it does have star-force I'm sure it will be the friendly version of starforce, not the awful drivers that screw your system over...

DCS, in general, uses Starforce. However, the version they use is a completely different animal from the old version that you are thinking about.

The issue is whether the free product "DCS World" uses it, since it does not require a key to function.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The main menu does not prompt for a license key, only when you start the actual game engine you will get prompted.

There is no key for DCS World so you presumably will not be prompted if you start a mission with the Su-25T.

I would try it but I don't feel like installing it on a third machine.:D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Do you have A-10 or BS2 already?

Nate

Yes, on another hardrive. Or does that not matter? I noticed that the dcs world had a config file for A10, BS, and the Su25t. But nothing for P51.

All of ED products made a directory in my "save games" files on my C drive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, on another hardrive. Or does that not matter? I noticed that the dcs world had a config file for A10, BS, and the Su25t. But nothing for P51.

All of ED products made a directory in my "save games" files on my C drive.

Your serials for those, in the windows registry, are valid and I believe will allow for MP in DCS:-World.

Nate

Ok, I was under the impression you needed an aircraft installed into DCS world for it to work.

This puts a twist into the test I want to do. If I want to use Dcs world as a server host for the other dcs titles, I have to install a dcs title on the machine. I can't install a dcs title on a VM because of starforce. Dcs world cannot go muiltplayer without a dcs title installed.

Ed. Your already giving the Su25t away for free in single player. Why not just allow is in multiplayer and give the public a real taste of what dcs is about? I can get 5 people I know to play the 25t right now if it was online. But they don't want to learn to play offline. It doesn't appeal to them as a single player game. I know a taste will get them hooked.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, I was under the impression you needed an aircraft installed into DCS world for it to work.

This puts a twist into the test I want to do. If I want to use Dcs world as a server host for the other dcs titles, I have to install a dcs title on the machine. I can't install a dcs title on a VM because of starforce. Dcs world cannot go muiltplayer without a dcs title installed.

Ed. Your already giving the Su25t away for free in single player. Why not just allow is in multiplayer and give the public a real taste of what dcs is about? I can get 5 people I know to play the 25t right now if it was online. But they don't want to learn to play offline. It doesn't appeal to them as a single player game. I know a taste will get them hooked.

I believe in general with DCS all you need is a DCS product activated and registered to DCS-Net account - this binds that serial to a MP account - since DCS:- World does not have a serial 2 things happen.

1) DCS:- World alone cannot create a DCS-Net account as it has no serial - so no MP

2) You can sign in to a current DCS-Net account with the base DCS:-World and use it.

I am open to correction on this however.

Nate

Not that I'm aware of - The Point of DCS-Net is to bind serials and accounts for security - remember what happened recently in FC2? Also MP is being used as a Major selling point for the other modules.

I understand your frustration in hosting with DCS - I hope they figure something out.

Nate