My new PC

Greetings to this wonderful community.

I am building a new PC and my question is, which operating system is the most suitable for the DCS?

Many recommend that the best is Windows 7 64 bit and others recommend Windows 10.

At this moment I have Windows 7 Utimate.

My question is worth buying Windows 10 or I can continue with the 7.

My new PC:

Motherboard: Asus Prime X299-Deluxe

Processor: Intel Core i7-7800X LGA 2066

Memory: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DRAM DDR4 3000MHz

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III

Graphic Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 (Unfortunately I still have my old video card because the GTX 1080 is expensive and I do not have the money to buy it right now)

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVAT

You can continue with Windows 7. DCS will not be switching to DirectX 12 (windows 10 only) and will rather go with Vulcan, which is platform independent and works on Windows 7 also.

Just note that companies may stop developing HW drivers eventually, so you will eventually (in some years) will have to switch as you will be upgrading.

Windows 7 support will end in 2020 which is probably the time when vendors will stop supporting it with driver releases.

Edited by Jumbik

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

You can continue with Windows 7. DCS will not be switching to DirectX 12 (windows 10 only) and will rather go with Vulcan, which is platform independent and works on Windows 7 also.

:thumbup:Thanks Jumbik.

I assumed it and I prefer Windows 7...

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVAT

It's a religious debate. If you want to use VR, you have to get Win10. Down the road, when Vulkan API goes live, you'll most likely need Win 10. I doubt Win7 will be supported, but I could be wrong.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's every OS except Vista, no? I didn't want to get off W2K. Then didn't want to get off XP, then didn't want to get off Win7, now I don't want to get off of Win10. Like I said, it's a religious debate. But do keep in mind that WannaCry malware got a foothold because 98% of the infected hosts were on Win7. Yes, MS is creating security patches for the time being, but it's something you have to consider. It's not a matter of if, but when you will *HAVE* to go on Win10. Since you're building out a new PC, were I you, I would just go with Win10.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

From an admin's point of view, dump 7 and grab 10.

my 2 cents

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X