Caucuses Navigation and BK-90 Empolyment

Opalias

Recently I was flying multiplayer on the Caucuses and I was unable to get the radar altitude fixes to work. I started cold, waited for the ball to settle and align, did a normal data load (9099) and then programed waypoints to the target manually. I navigated to the target, which was designated and a "M" updated its position based on the radar, but for both salvos of the BK-90 the weapons naviagated to the same point, that was not near the target even though I overflew and ensure that my target waypoint was accurate.

Not sure if I'm employing this wrong, but I used to be able to do this without any trouble.

I did reload the BK90 after a RB75 attack if that makes a difference.

Further experiments in single player show similar results, pre programed waypoints work normally, as well as manually entered waypoints, but waypoints that are updated in flight using the radar do not update in the BK90 and the weapon will proceed to the next waypoint as it was entered prior to updating with the radar, this is true for both B and M waypoints.

My testing method was to plan a flight in the mission editor, with the target waypoint being offset to once side, fly the track, update the target position. Weapons hit as expected if the waypoint was accurate in the mission editor, if the target were to have moved, or if the waypoint was off, there appeared to be no way to update the point.

Also based on the fact that the waypoint was not updated for the weapon even if the weapon was being shot at a B waypoint, I wonder if INS drift is being taken into account when employing the weapon, or if the weapon would still be aiming at planned attack point regardless of INS error at time of fire.

Hmm maybe the new position isn’t transferred to the Bk90...? I’ll have to look into this.

EDIT: Just checked and the new position is transfered. Could you maybe provide a track? Thanks for looking into this.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

So I went back and did some more testing. I move the waypoint further off the target for this track, and noticed that the bk90s were closer to the tanks than the previous waypoint. I think that the radar return from some of the buildings near the airport was masking the return from the tanks.

I move the tanks off the air field as was able to get better accuracy, but still unable to achieve a hit. These misses could be operator error, but if that is the case the skill required to quickly target even a large group of tanks may be beyond me. Tracks attached.

I still need to go back and see if the manually entered waypoint behaves differently. When I was in the multiplayer server the misses seemed much larger and the impact points seemed more consistent even though I believe that I had targeted different units.

On a side note the axis for the radar stick takes a lot of curve tuning to get to work well, and small smooth motions are still a challenge, accurate enough for a RB 15 for sure, but i'm not good enough to use it for ground attack apparently.

bk90 test 2.trk

bk90 test.trk

Did you compare the fixed target point coordinates with the actual impact location coordinates? Just to verify if the bk90 is flying to the updated coordinates or not. Note that radar fixes are not very precise, due to radar resolution limitations and the fact that you are flying at high speed with radar updates every few seconds. So your radar fix is likely to be off a bit.

For what it is worth, the bk90 is flying to updated coordinates in my test mission. So that part seems to be working.

The BK90 navigation points are updating ME waypoints via radar fixes, the problem I was having before I think was that there were buildings masking the returns of the tanks near the initial location that I was targeting. I made probably 8 additional passes and was unable to achieve better than a glancing blow once I removed the interfering radar returns.

So likely these could be my fault, just an inability to get the targeting precise enough.

I do still think that the problems I saw on the multiplayer server were fundamantally different, but I need to go back and try to verify that based on what I am observing now. The only variables I think I had between these tests and the MP server was the MP and the fact that I had entered the waypoints manually instead of the ME.

I still am not sure why my radar altimeter fixes won't go above condition 3, but that is probably unrelated.