Need Help with Mission Editor

Condor_USAF

Hi guys,

I've setup a Case 3 sortie in the mission editor, taking off from the carrier - cold and dark, waypointing to and landing at Sochi. Then taking off again and landing at Stennis in a thunderstorm at night.

Here are the issues I'm facing:

1. I have set Stennis' comm to 127500 FM in the mission editor. Yet when I set my aircraft's comm 1 (or even comm 2) to that frequency and request startup/takeoff, I get no response. I do however get response from the ground grew, and even from Sochi ATC when I switch my frequency to Sochi's 127000.

2. The HUD acts funky throughout the flight. The symbology will randomly drift way to the left or right, so that I have to move my pilot's neck laterally to read the data points at the far end such as the distance to next waypoint. The velocity vector meanwhile will drift to the other end so that it's barely in view, so its very difficult to align it with the horizon or pitch ladder.

3. I also have Stennis' TACAN enabled and set to 11x in mission editor, yet turning on tacan and overlaying it on my HSI doesn't show Stennis on the HSI. Same with the ICLS, it doesn't work.

4. Again, no response from Stennis when I request inbound. Deck lights don't turn on either. This happens regardless of whether I set comm frequency via preset, or whether I do it manually.

What am I doing wrong? All these thing (comms, TACAN, ICLS) work just fine on the Case 3 quick mission, but not when I setup my own mission. Please see attached screenshot for reference.

Any help is appreciated. :helpsmilie:

Screen_181106_204721.thumb.png.62cc1116909be3ead360abac7bf19d67.png

What am I doing wrong?

In the TACAN 'Advanced (Waypoint Action)' dialog where it says 'UNIT=NOTHING', you need to select the Stennis from the drop down list - in your case you'd select "Unit #001" (as that is the name of your Stennis).

The same will be true for the ICLS dialog.

Re: your other questions, I'd really need to see a video or track to see what you're doing or not doing during your startup.

Perhaps try a hot start or auto start to confirm it's not something in the mission.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I'm a beginner with the ME but a couple of things

As Ramsay stated you need to tie the instructions to the unit

Do you have the ICLS & TACAN set up for all the waypoints? IF you don't it may deactivate these when moving from WP 1 to 2 etc: So you need to repeat the TACAN & ICLS for all waypoints

I notice you have the radio set up to FM, normally it would be AM check to see that you don't have the radio in the jet on AM (& Sedlo beat me to it)

The HUD on the F-18 is pretty funky and not like other aircraft, it will move if you move your head this could be just due to TrackIR (or others) causing the problem or if you have winds or some sort of asymmetry in the jet the Flight Path Marker will move along with the pitch ladder to indicate the jet is crabbing (it's a feature not a bug). You can cage the HUD to stop this.

Those who know the ME better will no doubt chime in, but the ME can be a little temperamental if you don't set it up exactly as it's is meant to be. Sometimes I'll not do something like assign the function to the unit and it will work then others times it won't, so you need to go through all the steps if you want it to be reliable

In the TACAN 'Advanced (Waypoint Action)' dialog where it says 'UNIT=NOTHING', you need to select the Stennis from the drop down list - in your case you'd select "Unit #001" (as that is the name of your Stennis).

The same will be true for the ICLS dialog.

Re: your other questions, I'd really need to see a video or track to see what you're doing or not doing during your startup.

Perhaps try a hot start or auto start to confirm it's not something in the mission.

Thans man, the TACAN and ICLS are now working.

The HUD however, is still an issue (please see attached screenshot). I"ll take a track for you this weekend, but I'm doing a startup exactly as stated in training and Chuck's manual. The only HUD related control I touch is the brightness, and I do set the INS to CV (If that makes a difference).

I tried another mission with a hot start (the first waypoint in the air), and same result. :huh:

Also, set the radio frequency to AM mode.

Thanks. Weirdly still, Stennis will now talk to me when I request inbound/landing, but still ignores me when I request startup/takeoff. :(

Screen_181107_223322.thumb.png.b3fa2308e3eb7471400ce133fc88174d.png

The HUD acts as a yaw indicator so you are flying in a cross wind. You can cage the HUD to stop this.

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit