Pitch UP when Carrier Launch with Auto Flap

backspace340

It seems to me the only person making assumptions is you. You are in no greater position of knowledge than anyone else in this thread.

And no-one in this thread (that I can see) is saying "this is definitely a bug". Someone made an observation about something that they couldn't recreate in the DCS module. Thankfully the guys at ED are more open minded that you, so it's now being looked into.

Apologies the above sounds personal, and I tried not to be; I just don't understand why you're so sure no bug exists.

I never said "I know it should be like this or that" on the contrary I always made clear I am speculating. Others on the other hand requested to fix the "wrong" behaviour, as the FM did not meet their expectations when switching the flaps switch to auto.

That was where I asked if we have anything more than assumptions, on what behaviour is correct.

I only pointed out it is unlikely just switching flaps to auto and ignoring the warning tones and indications is the real life procedure.

As I said before: we (including me) don't know for sure and make assumptions. We even can't say for sure which of the different behaviours is correct and which is wrong, unless a subject matter expert explains the details and correct procedure, or we get an official checklist for flaps in auto mode take offs.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I am sure that ED needs to look into the different behaviour (I guess that is why they marked the Thread in the bug section as reported), but the major vibe in this thread was the hot start behaviour is the "wrong" one, which we don't know.

According to Skwintys last input it seems it is more related to doing it with the right procedure/settings and the cold start behaviour could be wrong?

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I’ve contacted the display pilot who was flying in a lot of the videos featuring flap Auto takeoffs. If I get a reply from him I shall let you guys know what he says.

According to Skwintys last input it seems it is more related to doing it with the right procedure/settings and the cold start behaviour could be wrong?

Possibly! Although it makes no sense to me that the aircraft would be airborne, with the gear up, flaps in auto and not just automatically revert to the normal flap auto 1G Trim state. But that’s just me <shrug>

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I’ve contacted the display pilot who was flying in a lot of the videos featuring flap Auto takeoffs. If I get a reply from him I shall let you guys know what he says.

Possibly! Although it makes no sense to me that the aircraft would be airborne, with the gear up, flaps in auto and not just automatically revert to the normal flap auto 1G Trim state. But that’s just me

That input would be great and may help a lot to compare the expected to the actual results. Thanks!

Shagrat

Have to say , tho , unsure how either relates to this thread . In any case , thanks for the latter .

I think the issue is about understanding the flight control system and flight dynamics in general.

something as simple as applying flaps when chucked off the end of carrier and experiencing uncontrolled flight because well stuff procedure.

i thought the articles showed the inherent instability of the earlier F18's. they are after all relics from the 70's and following procedure means increased survivability

anyway i have been socializing and will elaborate further when i am in the right frame of mind. if thats okay.

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

Because FCS GAIN OVERIDE Is selected and more control is passed to the pilot.

Possibly! Although it makes no sense to me that the aircraft would be airborne, with the gear up, flaps in auto and not just automatically revert to the normal flap auto 1G Trim state. But that’s just me <shrug>

Sent from my SM-P585 using Tapatalk

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

• 1 month later...

Just skimmed this thread so sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said. In a similar situation, I feel something's off.

I was trying to do touch and goes on the runway. I touch down, set flap to half, full military power, if I don't hold the stick far forward the f18 will pitch up into the vertical. It feels very wrong. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Just skimmed this thread so sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said. In a similar situation, I feel something's off.

I was trying to do touch and goes on the runway. I touch down, set flap to half, full military power, if I don't hold the stick far forward the f18 will pitch up into the vertical. It feels very wrong. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Nope, nothing wrong,

just dont do that.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Nope, nothing wrong,

just dont do that.

Don't do what?

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Don't do what?

" I touch down, set flap to half, full military power "

You're outside coded protocol, F18 is in beta.

I suggest, either you're heavy and land full flaps and power up full flaps,

or you're light and land half flaps and power up half flaps,

or when power up when pitching up,

you either power down quick till proper ascend pitch, keep it there (FCS will be stuck on certain number), and proceed, then asap gear up flap up when gained safe height,

or always as soon you notice uncontrollable pitching (rather anticipate) gear up flaps up.

The problem lies in the FCS. Ascend zero pitch is managed by FCS that needs gear up and flaps up,

or, when changing to half flaps during a touch and go you need your UFC page on the display and adjust manual pitch [sTAB] ~12-16 for FCS take off.

You shouldnt change flaps in a controlled touch and go with the present FCS for the FCS seems not to know it your landing or do a go around (and perhaps that's RL, dont know).

2cts

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

" I touch down, set flap to half, full military power "

You're outside coded protocol, F18 is in beta.

I suggest, either you're heavy and land full flaps and power up full flaps,

or you're light and land half flaps and power up half flaps,

or when power up when pitching up,

you either power down quick till proper ascend pitch, keep it there (FCS will be stuck on certain number), and proceed, then asap gear up flap up when gained safe height,

or always as soon you notice uncontrollable pitching (rather anticipate) gear up flaps up.

The problem lies in the FCS. Ascend zero pitch is managed by FCS that needs gear up and flaps up,

or, when changing to half flaps during a touch and go you need your UFC page on the display and adjust manual pitch [sTAB] ~12-16 for FCS take off.

You shouldnt change flaps in a controlled touch and go with the present FCS for the FCS seems not to know it your landing or do a go around (and perhaps that's RL, dont know).

2cts

I've noticed strange behavior with trim and abnormal exaggerated pitch in nonstandard conditions. This is a problem, because this is digital combat simulator, not digital combat scripting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seems like everyone expressed their opinion in this long thread... except any Hornet drivers?

I thought this issue was explained (more or less) in another thread somewhere. Once any of the 2 wheels hit the deck AOA trim becomes stab trim (similar to launch/takeoff)

Or... am I confusing it with some other jet? lol

I've noticed strange behavior with trim and abnormal exaggerated pitch in nonstandard conditions. This is a problem, because this is digital combat simulator, not digital combat scripting.

Well, ask you money back then.

Seems like everyone expressed their opinion in this long thread... except any Hornet drivers?

I thought this issue was explained (more or less) in another thread somewhere. Once any of the 2 wheels hit the deck AOA trim becomes stab trim (similar to launch/takeoff)

Or... am I confusing it with some other jet? lol

<HIPPO> changes flaps setting, prob a bad idea,

also prob, you can only spool up to 'on speed' for that trim,

when you reach that, your gear and flaps need to be raised, or attack the sun.

So you're fine with scripting things that should be simulated? :doh:

Why are you even asking?