CAGE/UNCAGE Sidewinders

bonesvf103

So when I hit the cage/uncage button, does it uncage when I press it, but as soon as I release it, it will cage again? ie, when firing a 9X at a target, once you get him in his HMCS reticle, you want to hold down the button until you pull the trigger, or just hit the button once and that's enough?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Single press to designate/undesignate.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

OK, just double checking because in Wags' AIM-9X video, he says to hold it down. It's an older video though so I don't know if that had changed or not.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

I seem to have made an error. I just read the manual and it does say to hold down the cage/uncaged button until the seeker has locked on. My bad. I think it works differently in the Viper and I've been switching back and forth alot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Yeah, while you hold the uncage button the seeker is free and looking for something hot, once you get the lock tone you release it. It the lock tone keeps sounding once cage/uncage is no longer pressed, it means a valid lock, if not glinse and repeat.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

ok, thanks all. And that 16 bit sounding tone like Atari PacMan eating pellets is just saying the Sidewinder is active and looking?

v6,

boNes

ok, thanks all. And that 16 bit sounding tone like Atari PacMan eating pellets is just saying the Sidewinder is active and looking?

v6,

boNes

The initial "growl" is indicating that the seeker head is active.

The high pitch "tone" is indicating that the seeker head has a lock on a heat signature.

As another stated, you have do depress and hold the cage/uncage button when desiring to have the seeker head follow the JHMCS, then release the cage/uncage button when over the desired target.

Incidentally, you can actually just get the desired target within the boresight of the JHMCS, and then depress and hold the cage/uncage button momentarily to get the seeker head to lock on desired target - if you do not want to follow the process above.

I personally employ the first process.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Thanks but what is that repetitive beeping sound, the one that i described as Atari PacMan?

v6,

boNes

It sounds like you're describing the crescendo sound that is indicating whether you're JHMCS is looking at off bore site or high off boresite. I cant find the actual number of degrees in the manual for each but Wags video on JHMCS explains it pretty well. I think its low pitch for 30 degrees off bore and high pitch for 60 degrees off bore. I'm not 100% on that one.

Edit - ignore the above. The "pacman" sound is the seeker growl for the Aim-9x

Edited by Darcwaynard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It sounds like you're describing the crescendo sound that is indicating whether you're JHMCS is looking at off bore site or high off boresite. I cant find the actual number of degrees in the manual for each but Wags video on JHMCS explains it pretty well. I think its low pitch for 30 degrees off bore and high pitch for 60 degrees off bore. I'm not 100% on that one.

Edit - ignore the above. The "pacman" sound is the seeker growl for the Aim-9x

No, I believe you actually identified his PACMAN reference, which is when going off boresight with JHMCS... I struggled with identifying "PACMAN sound" as I cannot remember the last time I played that game, then your comment put 2 and 2 together.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria