"Heatblur Forge" - Dynamic cockpits

flybull

When the F-14B launched with this trailer:

There were comments made in the video about a process called "Heatblur Forge". This process was going to lead to dynamic cockpits, specific to airframes including wear and tear - even the type of seat cushions on the ejection seat.

Is this still a feature we are expecting - The main reason im asking is that im hoping for fresher F-14 cockpits - (also easier to read)

Any response from HB would be very appreciated, thanks in advance,

When the F-14B launched with this trailer:

Is this still a feature we are expecting - The main reason im asking is that im hoping for fresher F-14 cockpits - (also easier to read)

Yes for a fresher and cleaner cockpit

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I may not be HB, but i belive that means the A and the B will have different pits. I don't know how accurate this is tho, so don't take my word for it.

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

We're now focusing on finishing all important features first and then we'll be able to see in what extension this will be possible.

Forge however is the entire process we used for the F-14, including the new technologies that we developed in order to make it work. Dynamic cockpits are just one possible result from it. Another is Jester for example, the FM, the model and graphics/textures, the RWR, the INS, the raycasting radar... in short, a workflow that aims at innovation and a new level or dimension of fidelity or features.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Will they be, as part of a patch, adding more Jester lines so that he stays fresh and new?

v6,

boNes

In another thread IronMike indicated that DCS has a hard limit on sound files, and the F-14 has run up against it due to Jester, which is impacting aircraft engine and system sounds.

So, I ask you, which you prefer --- more Jester banter or more General Electric F110?

In another thread IronMike indicated that DCS has a hard limit on sound files, and the F-14 has run up against it due to Jester, which is impacting aircraft engine and system sounds.

So, I ask you, which you prefer --- more Jester banter or more General Electric F110?

We do intend on adding more (reasonably more) Jester lines, we just need to be careful with how we handle sounds in general, due to the cap.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

@IronMike - thanks for your replies.

I could “live” without dynamic cockpit features, as I’m sure most of us could, but we NEED a newer, fresher, easier to read cockpit option. A near new F-14A would do rather nicely!

My dream solution would be 2 cockpits for each subtype. A well used version (current model) and a fresh one. Make this user selectable in menu, no need for dynamic cockpit features with all its complexity.

The Tomcat is a work of art. Stunning - it just very hard to read in VR and many of your fans want to fly her as she might have looked in the 70s-80s.

Best regards and thanks for such a masterpiece.

• Like 1

I could “live” without dynamic cockpit features, as I’m sure most of us could, but we NEED a newer, fresher, easier to read cockpit option. A near new F-14A would do rather nicely!

My dream solution would be 2 cockpits for each subtype. A well used version (current model) and a fresh one. Make this user selectable in menu, no need for dynamic cockpit features with all its complexity.

The Tomcat is a work of art. Stunning - it just very hard to read in VR and many of your fans want to fly her as she might have looked in the 70s-80s.

I actually prefer the more worn out style. You don't need to "read" the labels if you know what each switch does in what position. Just something to get used to. But having a slight variation for the -A cockpit (different seats and weathering pattern/level would be cool indeed.

A less worn cockpit is unfortunately not an option. Reworking its entire textures to make it look to our standards would cost us probably 2 years (dont forget there is a front and a back pit). A dynamic cockpit would more work on the level of some panels being changed, different cushions, slightly different wear and tear, stuff like that. A completely different cockpit would just blow all limits. Please don't expect that to come.

Heatblur Simulations

Did they Forget to add it? :D

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

A less worn cockpit is unfortunately not an option. Reworking its entire textures to make it look to our standards would cost us probably 2 years (dont forget there is a front and a back pit). A dynamic cockpit would more work on the level of some panels being changed, different cushions, slightly different wear and tear, stuff like that. A completely different cockpit would just blow all limits. Please don't expect that to come.

Thanks for sharing that. Interesting to learn how time consuming these cosmetic aspects of module development are alone.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear this; I just don't want to fly VR in something looking like the Republican Guard made a mess of.

I can only say this decision makes the shabby cat a non-purchase.

Sorry to hear this; I just don't want to fly VR in something looking like the Republican Guard made a mess of.

Very sorry to hear that, but we stand by our cockpit, many cockpits in service looked very similar to ours, we've seen in service pictures from the early 80s showing partially even worse paint coming off and similar.

Unfortunately we won't be able to please everyone.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

This should not doubt your ability to fly her and prevent you from buying the module. I only fly in VR with a PIMAX8K. The Tomcat is one of my favorites. I can read everything fine with the exception of a few switches low and to the right of me, which you should have memorized anyways. The only one that is very difficult is the Pilot TACAN, and Jester handles that, so no need to stress. Give her a shot again in VR, pilot needs to be looking ahead anyways, all analog gauges you should be able to read in VR with no problem. She is one of the sweetest to fly in VR!

And Iron is exactly right. These cockpits are worn, they never look brand new, unless you are hoping in an F-35, which also get worn. I know, I work with them. HB, you did an amazing job, you just cant please everyone.

Edited by robert.clark251

There's always this. It will still look worn but much easier to read. Although, it won't work online.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303911/

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

The plane is fine the way it is...the weathering just makes the plane feel more authentic and like it has seen its fair share of use. A clean F-14 just means Heatblur didn't give a shit about making the plane feel authentic.

And so what if some of the labels are hard to read in VR - if you're reaching down near your hips, it means you're either starting the plane or flying when it's pretty damn slow outside anyways. I'm never reaching down there when it's hot around you.

• Like 1

If the HB F-14B is a museum aircraft then the A will be unreadable. I mean, it will literally wont have any labels :megalol:

If the HB F-14B is a museum aircraft then the A will be unreadable. I mean, it will literally wont have any labels :megalol:

We actually already released it. It is so weathered that it's even transparent in the mission editor, module list, instant action missions and online client slot. But: you get 320 FPS 100% of the time. :D

[this is obviously a joke.]

Heatblur Simulations

We actually already released it. It is so weathered that it's even transparent in the mission editor, module list, instant action missions and online client slot. But: you get 320 FPS 100% of the time. :D

[this is obviously a joke.]

LMAO

i7 - 9700k | EVGA 1080Ti | 32 DDR4 RAM | 750w PS | TM Warthog HOTAS/X-55 | Track IR 5 |

I would always choose cleaner fresher cockpit over worn.

You can't beat that new car smell......

That's the thing about poetry - we all remember different smells with loving memory. The sailors might still feel the salt on their skin, while others have a fond feeling when they smell the clean lenor our mom's used for the fresh sheets, the smell of a fresh printed book being broken open for the first time, or that new car smell that lingers over a new dashboard - it's like Marcel Proust's madeleine (muffin) being dipped into his grandmother's tea all over again. Associations live within us, and sometimes we hit the right cords, and unearth memories, and sometimes we miss. Usually both at the same time. Gottfried Benn said that every good poet writes at best 6 perfect poems in his life. But which they are, only the reader can decide for himself.

But even in the frame of a sim that strives for maximum realism, and especially in the dark void that shrouds "near perfection": art will always be a damnation of reality as well - just like our memories. For some more, for some less. :)

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

For those who say it's perfect as is. I'm sure it is for many but just as many will like it a little newer. I like it the way it s but I also like to be able to read it until I know it becomes muscle memory.

Would a newer cockpit still be realistic? Sure it would. They took a museum plane as a model. That plane was used and worn out. Only the real pilots saw the plane like that who were flying it at the end of the Tomcats life. More pilots saw it in better condition.

So, no matter how new you make it look, it will be realistic to some of the real pilots.

Buzz