P51 not fun due to so many problems.

Snapage

I can't imagine it was his first time in this spit. Maybe his first time presenting at a show with this one.

There is a report on the incident, but it's in French, and needs to be translated. It said that it was his first “flight” in that aircraft

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard vintage P-51s use something like 45"-50" MAP on takeoff because they're much lighter nowadays since they're not carrying any weaponry. Just what I've heard though.

That would actually make sense to an extent. Any guns, armor, etc would lighten it a bit, and yeah that would allow a more gentle takeoff. Still, there's a limit to how far I'd expect that to go.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

What i've seen to days p-51 takes off 50-61" yes some of them still use full power for take off i think 50 is most common power setting, And second yes modern p-51s are much lighter no guns no ammo no heavy ass radios from ww2 on board.

Second engines are filled with modern oils, burn modern fule, those are no longer contributing to create troubles at low power operation of the engine.

I can see that being a factor, too, potentially. I don't think poor fuel/oil quality was a real issue then, though, was it? Not for the US, anyway, since our refineries were never endangered

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yeah, it's hard to replicate reliably because it seems random. But one thing that seems consistant is that the engine will fail at some point after you use WEP no matter what.

I have tested twice recently. A few days ago it took about 10 minutes after using WEP for the engine to die. A month earlier I ran out of fuel before the engine stopped. Though I bet if I waited on the ground after the flight the engine would have died at some point. Even if it was shutdown.

The best part is this bang sound even when you are siting on airfield with engine shutdown, first time when this happen to me scared me a lot :P

Btw when you were testing it, for how long did you use WEP ?

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I can see that being a factor, too, potentially. I don't think poor fuel/oil quality was a real issue then, though, was it? Not for the US, anyway, since our refineries were never endangered

This engine burns 60-190 gallons of fuel per hour, and couple gallons of oil per hour, fuel and oil additives and composition will impact a lot. Modern fuel and oils are much much better then those from 1940s

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

T Not to mention Kermit weeks showing us on his excellent vids how he uses 46" and 55" in his -D and -C Mustangs respectively.

I just watched both kermit cams of p-51C and D in both cases he is using 55" for take off.Both are run by the same engine v-1650-7 so it is quite logical that same MP is used for t/o

I doubt that anyone uses 46" for take off, too dangerous

Edited by grafspee

That would actually make sense to an extent. Any guns, armor, etc would lighten it a bit, and yeah that would allow a more gentle takeoff. Still, there's a limit to how far I'd expect that to go.

I believe its also due to the lower quality of fuel. iirc the formulae for the octane of fuel being used in ww2 was lost somehow so they use lower engine settings to try and preserve the engine.

From the boss, you don't need more than 55.

Thanks for the clarification 9L. And please, do send our Season's Greetings to Nick from us the great unwashed complainers too, and all the best to you and yours as well mate! :)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

In DCS I never do full throttle for takeoff anyways. Runway lengths don't call for it. Only place I'd throw the engine balls to the wall would be on the short runways on Normandy.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

In DCS I never do full throttle for takeoff anyways. Runway lengths don't call for it. Only place I'd throw the engine balls to the wall would be on the short runways on Normandy.

Have you seen burning skies? if you're allied pilot you better get that trimmed and firewall the throttle to avoid a 190 bombing you :P

In DCS I never do full throttle for takeoff anyways.

Well, I usually do. No wear and tear to worry about, and one has to keep current with how the bugger behaves balls to the wall on takeoff anyway. Since you never know when you DO need it - and you don't want to be surprised when you do ;)

I believe its also due to the lower quality of fuel. iirc the formulae for the octane of fuel being used in ww2 was lost somehow so they use lower engine settings to try and preserve the engine.

Yes ancient Egyptians had better fuel then modern fuel. Bollocks.

Modern fuel is much better.

Modern p-51 can take off at 61" just fine.

Edited by grafspee

Well, I usually do. No wear and tear to worry about, and one has to keep current with how the bugger behaves balls to the wall on takeoff anyway. Since you never know when you DO need it - and you don't want to be surprised when you do ;)

Yes i do it too full power too. When i take rockets and bombs 61" better anything less and this bird don't want to lift off easy.

If manual say full throttle on take off this mean that this is not harming engine service time beyond designed service time.

Full power is only for heavy loads for me. I take off with 30% fuel anyways, I only get to 55", by then it's already coming off the ground lol

by then it's already coming off the ground lol

Ain't nothing wrong with that. Now I'm a groundpounder, usually don't see her lightly loaded, means more MAP. Ehm... so what was the point again, since I'm just gonna have another one by this point in time? And that's a Radeberger too, mindja :)

So, I get the impression that the damage model for use of WEP is that once WEP is used, a timer is triggered that will fail the engine in x random minutes. I don't think that is very realistic. If that's how it is modeled. Seems like you should be able to get away with using WEP, but sometimes you don't...depending on how long you use it, not that you've used it at all. If use of WEP means loss of aircraft, then what's the point? Then again, there might be ways you operate the engine where, yes, if you operated a real engine that way it would "blow" it every time.

Take a listen to a very experienced pilot who flew a racing P-51, with a damaged engine...Hoot Gibson...skip to 54:30 in the video. I know racing engines are highly modified and they push them well beyond WEP, but just the sense that pushing the engine a little too hard doesn't automatically mean ka-boom.

So, I get the impression that the damage model for use of WEP is that once WEP is used, a timer is triggered that will fail the engine in x random minutes. I don't think that is very realistic. If that's how it is modeled. Seems like you should be able to get away with using WEP, but sometimes you don't...depending on how long you use it, not that you've used it at all. If use of WEP means loss of aircraft, then what's the point? Then again, there might be ways you operate the engine where, yes, if you operated a real engine that way it would "blow" it every time.

Take a listen to a very experienced pilot who flew a racing P-51, with a damaged engine...Hoot Gibson...skip to 54:30 in the video. I know racing engines are highly modified and they push them well beyond WEP, but just the sense that pushing the engine a little too hard doesn't automatically mean ka-boom.

P-51 at 67" :)

Ka-boom.

Edited by grafspee

Full power is only for heavy loads for me. I take off with 30% fuel anyways, I only get to 55", by then it's already coming off the ground lol

Try short runways in Normandy map, after cuple close calls with trees i hit 61 every time :P

Try short runways in Normandy map, after cuple close calls with trees i hit 61 every time :P
Annnddd that’s why Vx and Vy exists :D .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Heh, heck. On the normal Caucasus runways I'd use full power only with heavy loads, but on Normandy I think I'd drop a bit of flap with 6 rockets and 2 bombs

Hopefully Burning Skies uses a Normandy map soon, and hopefully UGRA fixes the grass on the airfields soon. If that happens, then I'll REALLY be sold (even though I already bought it lol)

Edited by Magic Zach

Heh, heck. On the normal Caucasus runways I'd use full power only with heavy loads, but on Normandy I think I'd drop a bit of flap with 6 rockets and 2 bombs

Hopefully Burning Skies uses a Normandy map soon, and hopefully UGRA fixes the grass on the airfields soon. If that happens, then I'll REALLY be sold (even though I already bought it lol)

Think they're changing to Normandy in January from what I've seen on discord, not really to into it myself as whenever it's on normandy I see a max of 8 or so people compared to 26 on Caucasus.

Could just be my time zone though.