Flight model and other early impressions - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #41
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroGimp View Post
Due to the moment arm from sitting about 6 feet behind you, a GIB (guy in back) makes a substantial impact on cg and is most noticeable in the resulting pitch sensitivity. With a light pilot and heavy GIB you can get to the edge of the envelope Aft, especially with the old Russian avionics gear still behind the back seat.
Nice info and exactly the reason why I opened a new thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217450
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #42
Sn8ke_iis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
All good AcroGimp, these aircraft are living breathing pieces of algorithm art. Testing, tuning and adjusting is always necessary at this level of sim modeling.
Change one thing and many other things can get worse, it will take a little time.
THIS, the module's been in the wild less than 24 hours, LOL Awesome feedback from the OP but coding and debugging takes time. I just went through the entire early access period for the Spitfire and the flight model is like night and day from the first week. She now behaves as described in the historical manuals and by real world pilots but it took over a year.

My flight experience consists of a couple hours in a Cessna and glider but I sure had fun flying the Yak. It is nice to know she is being developed to a standard that will be useful for real world training. A Yak-52 and Christen Eagle are a much more realistic possibility for myself and most people to actually be able to fly IRL. There's a guy a couple hours from where I live who rents out a tandem Spitfire for rides but it will set you back several thousand dollars. A Yak or Eagle are actually "affordable".

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K|TrackIR 5|Sennheiser PC 363D headphones|HP Reverb Pro|Realsim FSSB|TM Warthog HOTAS w/Rainman curved extension, MFDs|Vipergear IPC|Buddyfox UFC| Saitek Throttle Quad, Trim Wheel|MFG Pedals|Playseat Flightseat| Monstertech HOTAS mount|Gametrix Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #43
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8ke_iis View Post
THIS, the module's been in the wild less than 24 hours, LOL Awesome feedback from the OP but coding and debugging takes time. I just went through the entire early access period for the Spitfire and the flight model is like night and day from the first week. She now behaves as described in the historical manuals and by real world pilots but it took over a year.
I love your experience, but I have to say that the FM was not changed from July 16 when it was approved by Nick Grey in Duxford. Some minor tweaks was of course made but all of them were before the early access release.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #44
vali_grad

be patient guys, its early access ... if you bring emotional facts to the table, understand that you're talking to a programmer, he needs numbers, not feelings ))
Old 08-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #45
Sn8ke_iis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
I love your experience, but I have to say that the FM was not changed from July 16 when it was approved by Nick Grey in Duxford. Some minor tweaks was of course made but all of them were before the early access release.
Really? I changed up my controller curves a bit on Chuck's suggestion and got better at trimming her out, but maybe it was just placebo effect. She seemed to have gotten more stable over time especially take off and landing. I fly every version of the Spittie on PC, Mark I-IX on different sims. It starts to become a blur.

Loving the Yak so far I read so many silly comments on why DCS was doing another trainer that it almost became comical.

The developer that publishes DCS: Cessna 172 is going to laugh all the way to the bank.

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K|TrackIR 5|Sennheiser PC 363D headphones|HP Reverb Pro|Realsim FSSB|TM Warthog HOTAS w/Rainman curved extension, MFDs|Vipergear IPC|Buddyfox UFC| Saitek Throttle Quad, Trim Wheel|MFG Pedals|Playseat Flightseat| Monstertech HOTAS mount|Gametrix Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #46
vali_grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8ke_iis View Post

The developer that publishes DCS: Cessna 172 is going to laugh all the way to the bank.
I saw what you did there ....
Old 08-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #47
Hoffster

When rudder trim works as intended will it be possible to dial in a speed where she flies with no slip, "ball centered"?
Hoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #48
DartzIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
I don't believe that. Even if the second pilot eats all the burgers while extending the flaps, the CG shouldn't noticeable move.

Seriously. I definitely don't need full forward stick to correct the pitch up. Doing that, even at 170km/h results in a -0.9G push over.

Trimmed clean for level flight with 170km/h I need ~ 50% of the available nose up trim, and level flight at 150km/h with gear and flaps down requires a bit less than 50% of the available nose down trim.

Figured out why...

Full forward on the controller wasn't giving me full forward for some reason. ;/

Still a bastard of a snatch up leading to some surprising stalls on landing.
DartzIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #49
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartzIRL View Post
, exactly!
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #50
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartzIRL View Post
Figured out why...

Full forward on the controller wasn't giving me full forward for some reason. ;/

How so? you mean the stick? I have the same bug with the trim: I set it to a slider, and the slider only moves it 50% towards each extremity.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote