Notices

Old 12-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
lee1hy

Default 7G turning rate

MIG15 AI continuously turning to 7G without black out and losing speed

good job Russia

Stalin's magic is still in 2020 PC SIM again

Come out PC pilot datamans

Last edited by lee1hy; 12-08-2019 at 12:32 PM.
lee1hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
zhukov032186

It's almost like the AI use a simplified flight model for the past twenty years... oh wait, they do. Nothing new here it applies to all aircraft.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:49 AM   #3
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

What I "love" about AI MIG-15s is how they can slow down like hitting a brick wall, then once you flew past them they accelerate in a vertical climb doing endless loops.

There is a workaround: Set their skill level to "average", with an occasional "good" or "high" here and there. They won't cheat as much, and dogfighting them becomes feasible again
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:48 AM   #4
MiG21bisFishbedL

Yeah, this applies to all aircraft.

Move MiG. For great justice. You know what you doing. Take off every MiG.
CH Combatstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals
MiG21bisFishbedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
bies

I think AI could be decisively upgraded only after DCS multi core support implementation.
There will be separate core calculating AI flight models, separate calculating advanced weather, another for improved grapic engine etc.
There are some AMA interviews with Matt Wagner mentioning that.

If AI would use advanced flight models right now there would be probably some big performance hit.
bies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
probad+
Posting Rights Suspended

last time i checked dragging mig-15 ai's into a power dive was a sure kill

at least they respect compressibility
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Aluminum Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1hy View Post
MIG15 AI continuously turning to 7G without black out and losing speed

good job Russia

Stalin's magic is still in 2020 PC SIM again
Dang, now you've got me thinking that the AI flight models aren't realistic!

(Hint: They never have been.)

For the best dogfighting experience in the sim, you MUST fly online. No other way to do it. The AI flight models fly like UFOs with the thrust to weight ratio higher than the bloody missiles in the sim.

AI flight models are greatly simplified, so that DCS World can have huge missions with an enormous number of aircraft, without bogging down your CPU.

When flying online against human opponents, each person's CPU is running their own (realistic) flight model. So, there's no bogging down of any one system, and all the planes fly with the high-fidelity flight model (and, of course, each human pilot's skill level.)

Of course, online WW2 flying kinda sucks because you can't just join a server whenever you feel like it and dogfight for fun. WW2 online servers tend to be very organized and you have to join a group, and plan your whole day around it. You can't just jump in and fly--you'll be flying around the map for hours, wasting your time, with nobody to dogfight.

There never seems to be anybody flying in the WW2 "jump in" servers, and that really sucks, because the WW2 fighters are one of the best parts of this sim! It just seems people are much more into the really complex modern jet modules.

AD
Asus Z170-P, i5-6600k at 4.5 GHz, 1.35V w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO, 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 single screen, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!
Aluminum Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
AeriaGloria

The FC3 AI flies alright. Probably because they were actually designed to be a flyable SFM
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
never seems to be anybody flying in the WW2 "jump in" servers
The WW2 subgame needs fleshing out. We need additional ground units and study-level human-pilotable attack aircraft. Mere furballing gets boring after a while.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
zhukov032186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Donkey View Post
Dang, now you've got me thinking that the AI flight models aren't realistic!

(Hint: They never have been.)

For the best dogfighting experience in the sim, you MUST fly online. No other way to do it. The AI flight models fly like UFOs with the thrust to weight ratio higher than the bloody missiles in the sim.

AI flight models are greatly simplified, so that DCS World can have huge missions with an enormous number of aircraft, without bogging down your CPU.

When flying online against human opponents, each person's CPU is running their own (realistic) flight model. So, there's no bogging down of any one system, and all the planes fly with the high-fidelity flight model (and, of course, each human pilot's skill level.)

Of course, online WW2 flying kinda sucks because you can't just join a server whenever you feel like it and dogfight for fun. WW2 online servers tend to be very organized and you have to join a group, and plan your whole day around it. You can't just jump in and fly--you'll be flying around the map for hours, wasting your time, with nobody to dogfight.

There never seems to be anybody flying in the WW2 "jump in" servers, and that really sucks, because the WW2 fighters are one of the best parts of this sim! It just seems people are much more into the really complex modern jet modules.

AD
Well, WWII is probably the most popular sim era there is, and there are multiple games catering to that era specifically... DCS is pretty much the only modern jet game for quite some time. It's reasonable to.assume that's what the main draw is here.