Ka-50 Unguided Rockets Firing Possible Bug! - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #51
BitMaster
Veteran

Unfortunately I havent seen one of my pals in years, he flew Cobra in Vietnam and should know this. If I can get a hold of him, I will squeeze that out of him.

The helicopter will change it's attitude, that is clear. No action goes without a counter reaction, be it thrust being deflected by some metal part of the tube or airframe, or the loss in weight, or both, I dunno, but I know it will surely not stay as it was. The faster you move the harder it gets to disturb the moving mass, so this will change with speed, I just dunno how much and if it is relevant for a specific helicopter. I could imagine that the deflected thrust might disturb the airframe, launching multiple ones then even more. Looking at thrust nozzles, those are quite small, I could imagine that.

I do know that the cobra needed FULL rudder on take-off until it had quite some forward speed, that he told me Maybe worth a note.

There is another guy I know who flew choppers in Nam, the small Special Forces one, but his civ job at RAB ended and he's likely back in the US. I might get a hold of him.

* Wrote an email to my friend, I hope he is still with us. Waiting for an answer.
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5G_delidded - 32GB - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 32GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine

Last edited by BitMaster; 12-13-2019 at 01:05 PM.
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #52
Holton181

Seems like we agree to disagree to some extent. Fine with me. Indeed it would be good to get imput from a subject matter expert, pilot or engineer or something. Just so difficult to determine validity if just a comment from someone here at the forum claiming to be one of these.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #53
BitMaster
Veteran

Here's the answer from my fellow friend Larry, a veteran OH-6 Vietnam Pilot:

There is no change in pitch for the rockets but there is of course a weight change depending on how many you launch at one time. Most of the time you shoot in pairs but you can do many more or just salvo the load. The mini-gun will cause a change in attitude opposite the direction of target but small for the gunships. The change is a lot in the smaller OH -6 and will throw you off target if not anticipated.
The new gun ships use smart weapons so if locked on it will go find the target much easier than aiming the aircraft at the target as us older pilots did.
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5G_delidded - 32GB - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 32GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #54
Holton181

i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #55
dimitriov

Hi guys,

It's a pure SAS question. Already noticed that it too happened when rocket tubes were empty and that I pushed the trigger.

The workaround is to fire with flight director engaged.
dimitriov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:47 AM   #56
Weta43
Veteran

Hi Dimitriov -
Thanks, (but also I think that was worked out a while ago).

The question is - what is the SAS accounting for ?

OH-6 is a small aircraft, but so is the Hydra a small rocket - less than 4 kg, vs 11.4 kg for an S-8. Even firing Hydra in pairs might not produce much effect - very little weight change, very little exhaust gasses.

The fact that the Ka-50 SAS is designed to compensate for some thing (& Kamov were involved in the development of the implementation we have in DCS) means there must be something to compensate for.

I've posted videos showing both yaw and pitch from firing rockets and missiles.

The yaw must logically be a reaction against the exhaust gasses from the rocket or additional drag / lift / loss of lift from the rotor as it suddenly finds itself in a stream of gas moving at high speed in the opposite direction to the rocket.

Which is actually a culprit we haven't discussed.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:25 AM   #57
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
Hi Dimitriov -
Thanks, (but also I think that was worked out a while ago).

The question is - what is the SAS accounting for ?

OH-6 is a small aircraft, but so is the Hydra a small rocket - less than 4 kg, vs 11.4 kg for an S-8. Even firing Hydra in pairs might not produce much effect - very little weight change, very little exhaust gasses.

The fact that the Ka-50 SAS is designed to compensate for some thing (& Kamov were involved in the development of the implementation we have in DCS) means there must be something to compensate for.

I've posted videos showing both yaw and pitch from firing rockets and missiles.

The yaw must logically be a reaction against the exhaust gasses from the rocket or additional drag / lift / loss of lift from the rotor as it suddenly finds itself in a stream of gas moving at high speed in the opposite direction to the rocket.

Which is actually a culprit we haven't discussed.
It's hard to tell if there is any real force in those video's. You can clearly see in this one there is no movement at all when firing rockets at speed from one side. I'm not saying there is no force here, it's just straight back against the round tube exiting the rear. Trying to force the nose down (pendulum) under the rotor blades.

I just find it hard that these rockets could do that against a very large moving spinning disk above.

The only thing I can think of is that these FCS systems could be needed with the larger S-13 or Vikhr missiles when Hovering or moving at very slow rate.

Vikhr missiles especially as they are generally fired when slow or hovering Plus the angle they can go to.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #58
Weta43
Veteran

there's enough turbulence caused by the rocket motors to flame out the engine - that should rock the aircraft
Old 12-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #59
David OC

Not that much I guess.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:06 AM   #60
Weta43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
Not that much I guess.
Firing individual little 4kg Hydra rockets with the SAS turned on - would you expect to see anything ?
All it proves is the AH-64 SAS can compensate. (We think the Ka-50 SAS should do the same - it just isn't.)

Sure looks like a lot here
Firing a salvo of 11.5 kg S-8 from a hover @ 1:26 causes engine failure and a crash. Apparently the change in inlet pressure caused by the exhausts causes a flameout:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.E.Bulba View Post

There is a minimum launch speed for S-8 of 100 km/h for just that reason.

Last edited by Weta43; 12-16-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Weta43 is offline   Reply With Quote