COPPA and our YouTube channels

Rudel_chw

Recently, YouTube sent me a message about marking my channel's videos as targeted to children or not .. I didnt gave it too much tought and as it mostly contains short clips of my DCS flights and tests, I happily selected "no children material", like this:

Prh0ibO.jpg

However, today I ran across this video from one of my favorite Scale Model channels:

ZmohTr20npk

After watching it, I'm kind of concerned and don't remember seeing this subject discuted on this Forum ... those channels with creators based on the US may be subjected to large fines if the FTC determines that your DCS video is "appealing to children" ... and hello, what children doesnt like airplanes?

I'm based outside the US, so I dont run the risk of a fine ... but the FTC can ask YT to close my channel if they believe that I'm making videos "appealing to children".

Here is another video, where YT attemps to explain this issue (tough I find Andy's video clearer):

-JzXiSkoFKw

So .. I'd love to see what is the view of other Forum's members on this matter, as January 1st is really close :(

Best regards,

Eduardo

PD: here is another video, regarding specifically gaming content:

0veLrwd9CK4

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Well, it seems that nobody cares about this subject, but I'm worried that at least some YouTube gaming channels will opt to close on January 1st, rather than face the chance of a big fine.

I dont care if my small channel dissapears, but I do want to have access to some DCS Tutorials about aircrafts and helos that I've still not mastered, so I've decided to start saving some of that material for my own viewing pleasure .. I do not intend to stomp on their authors rights, so I will never re-upload them anywhere else .. but I do want to be able to watch them myself on the future.

At the moment I have collected the following videos, but there is still a month of time and I intend to really collect as much as I can, as there is a very real risk that we will loose the ability to watch them later :(

zzpvJMe.jpg

I couldnt care less about the US Government, but their views on child protection are really obtuse and I hate that they are impossing this even on YT Channels of foreign creators.

best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I left my comment a while ago on the .gov website.

Because it's a "game" in the eyes of the FTC, all those videos will need to be marked "for children"

If you're a content creator, I highly recommend leaving your thoughts at the following link:

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FTC-2019-0054-0001

The revised COPPA wont go into effect until Jan 20th iirc, so there's still time for changes.

Anyone outside the U.S. could potentially still be extradited to pay fines.

Edited by -Rudel-

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

I based my decision to mark my channel as "NOT FOR KIDS" because I wouldnt let my own children watch it. But my channel has the occasional adult humor joke rolled in... so probably for the best

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I based my decision to mark my channel as "NOT FOR KIDS" because I wouldnt let my own children watch it.

But that is the problem .. you mark the videos as not for kids, but if the FTC deems that the content is "appealing" to kids, then you could be fined ... stupid as it sounds. Any YT channel devoted to toys, cartoons or video games is in risk of violating this legislation :(

Because it's a "game" in the eyes of the FTC, all those videos will need to be marked "for children"

Yes, but those videos will not be able to have comments and will not appear on searches, so what would be the point of publishing them on YT?

Yes, but those videos will not be able to have comments and will not appear on searches, so what would be the point of publishing them on YT?
There wouldn't be, and that's the point. From a gaming/simming perspective, COPPA will kill YT as a viable platform unless there are copious amounts of vulgarity in the video that clearly mark it as NSFC (not safe for children). The "Up to $42,000.00 US per video" is pretty terrifying too. Enough so to make me consider pulling down the 5 or so videos that I have uploaded currently since I'd rather be safe than bankrupt/imprisoned.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

537 Mongo
CO vVF-161 Fightin' Stingrays
Check us out on the web!

... From a gaming/simming perspective, COPPA will kill YT as a viable platform ...

I'm afraid that it will indeed happen .. recently the FTC tried to clarify this matter (November 22): https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/11/youtube-channel-owners-your-content-directed-children

... but to me the gaming channels still seems at risk (see the chapter "HOW CHANNEL OWNERS CAN DETERMINE IF THEIR CONTENT IS DIRECTED TO CHILDREN" ) .. unless I'm misunderstanding the ruling.

so, for now, I'm backing up videos that I may want to refer to on the future ... just in case :) I'm using this tool, works well and it's free: https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader

I hear a lot of could and will in those videos. I mark my videos as not for kids. That's my responsibility. If the FTC flag my videos, than I'll deal with the FTC to explain my position. So far though, this is just a bunch of people pontificating.

• 2 weeks later...