Still recommend?

Donut

Hello everyone! Would you still recommend the CH Fighterstick, Pro throttle and Pro Rudder as a new purchase in 2019?

I currently have a Saitek X55 HOTAS which has served me well, but I never really liked it and it's starting to act up. With the F-16, I would like to upgrade and the CH product line seems like a good match to the F-16 HOTAS. Tell me what you think...thanks!

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Yes , i do recommend . But only if you desire products using quality components that last forever :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have a CH Combatstick, Pro Throttle and Pedals that all work fine, except I can't keep them working in DCS. They work fine in every other game.

If you'd like to purchase them shoot me a PM and an offer. I just purchased an X56 to replace them.

What are the problems you experience in DCS?

For ~$350 you get stick, throttle and pedals from CH, and for what worth there are nothing better for same price.

PRO - Sturdy and durable, you will not see parts of CH's broken like you see of Cougar or Warthog when mishandled.

CON - Technically "obsolete", use the same electronics of 1999, 8 bits USB controllers and potentiometer (but ways better than ones used in Saitek's) and a "clunck" (tactile and audible) gimbal.

For some players the limitations of resolution of an 8 bits controllers* and gimbal mechanics is issue, for others no.

CH programming software - Manager, is not more 100% compatible Windows 10 latest version (CH statement). Neither seems have plans for make compatible (programming author retired).

But some players manage to make work with workarounds.

* EDIT - For controller low resolution Rel4y have a 10 bits replacement.

Edited by Sokol1_br

What are the problems you experience in DCS?

I'm on a Windows 10 machine, just so you know. The game intermittently sees the controllers and just yesterday it quit seeing the rudders, again. I had the CH software set to startup when the computer starts and I made sure the DCS profile was loaded before starting DCS. (DCS profile was just controller calibrations.) Load the appropriate aircraft profile in DCS and go fly and see what isn't working today. :p

I bought my CH gear back when I was flying Aces High with GMan109 and honestly I was never as impressed with the stuff as many other people were. It still works fine for everything except DCS.

Forget Control Manager . Use it only for calibration . Make all your bindings in DCS controls menu , and you will find no fault with CH .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Forget Control Manager . Use it only for calibration . Make all your bindings in DCS controls menu , and you will find no fault with CH .

Hi Svsmokey. Do you have any problems with the controls jittering like some others do? How is the stick and throttle sensitivity? Do you find it good enough for AAR and formation flying? Thanks!

No , I have never experienced axis jittering in my 11 or so years of flying CH-without Control Manager . Finally gave away my first CH stick after 8+ years and it was still functioning perfectly . I just needed more Hotas buttons or i would be flying it still . I am using the stock curves in the DCS controls>axis tuning menu and have no problem making 1% throttle adjustments , in the AAR or formation range , as indicated by the Hornet IFEI . I do wish CH would make a dual-throttle Hotas to allow "walking" though . The curves are in any event adjustable in DCS should you find otherwise .

The one thing i don't like about the throttle is that it needs more travel friction . It is very easy to inadvertently move while feeling for a switch in VR . Sokol1 , who is our control guru , advised a fix involving gluing velcro strips inside the base , which has proven to be most satisfactory .

No , I have never experienced axis jittering in my 11 or so years of flying CH-without Control Manager . Finally gave away my first CH stick after 8+ years and it was still functioning perfectly . I just needed more Hotas buttons or i would be flying it still . I am using the stock curves in the DCS controls>axis tuning menu and have no problem making 1% throttle adjustments , in the AAR or formation range , as indicated by the Hornet IFEI . I do wish CH would make a dual-throttle Hotas to allow "walking" though . The curves are in any event adjustable in DCS should you find otherwise .

The one thing i don't like about the throttle is that it needs more travel friction . It is very easy to inadvertently move while feeling for a switch in VR . Sokol1 , who is our control guru , advised a fix involving gluing velcro strips inside the base , which has proven to be most satisfactory .

Thanks...good to hear!

One more question...have you found the lack of an afterburner detent to be an issue? I know there is a mod out there that uses velcro as well to add a detent.

For me, I am still favoring the CH HOTAS and feel that it would work great with the F-16.

It certainly is an issue in the Hornet ! You have to monitor nozzle position to differentiate between AB and MIL (or just use 99%)

Been using mine since the USB version came out (since the parallel port days CH is all I've used-I'll bet those units would _still_ work). Never an issue. Feel like I can do surgery with it.

CM software is an issue; will work once [Win10] then crash. But since I only do DCS I haven't even run that software in months. Don't think you need it [CM] as per comments elsewhere.

For AB detent: there's the 'velcro' mod - cut & stick a small piece inside that gives you a lil feedback when you hit the 'spot'.

i6700k 4.4mhz, 32Gb, nVidia 1080, Odyssey+, CH Products, Derek Speare Designs button box, Bass shaker w/SimShaker For Aviators

Been using mine since the USB version came out (since the parallel port days CH is all I've used-I'll bet those units would _still_ work). Never an issue. Feel like I can do surgery with it.

CM software is an issue; will work once [Win10] then crash. But since I only do DCS I haven't even run that software in months. Don't think you need it [CM] as per comments elsewhere.

For AB detent: there's the 'velcro' mod - cut & stick a small piece inside that gives you a lil feedback when you hit the 'spot'.

The software wouldn't be an issue for me either, although I believe it's calibration feature is still needed, but I haven't seen any reported issues with that.

That velcro mod seems super simple and effective so that would take care of the no AB detent issue.

One lingering concern that I have is if CH Products still have support from the company. It seems that their online presence has disappeared over the past few years (Facebook, Twitter), and I would be worried about investing in a product that no longer receives support. Is this even an issue?

Edited by =BJM=

"Is this even an issue ?" Not with equipment that never breaks :)

"Is this even an issue ?" Not with equipment that never breaks :)

Ha! Good point!

Just for peace of mind though, I did e-mail CH Products and received a quick response saying that they plan on fully supporting all of their products for the foreseeable future. Good news for anyone else out there planning on purchasing.

Well, I went ahead and did it. I was going to wait, but I saw stock on Amazon was running low so I bought the CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Rudder Pedals! :joystick:

Thank you to everyone for your input in helping with my decision. Ultimately, I feel that these will be a good match for me and my preferences as well as go great with the upcoming F-16.

:thumbup: Enjoy !

I tried all the CH stuff tonight for the first time. I didn't like the throttle or stick at all. The buttons and ergonomics are great but the feel/sensitivity of each axis while flying in DCS just wasn't right. Also, I suffered from the well known jitters in the throttle and stick axis and for some reason, the throttle had a full range of travel physically, but would only register between 10% and 90% in Windows and the CH software calibration. The software does not work well in Windows 10 either. I gave it a try but will be returning all of it tomorrow.

Do NOT use CH Control Manager with Win 10 ! Use it for calibration purposes only . "Axis tune" functions in DCS control menu will allow you to adjust curves to your satisfaction .

Do NOT use CH Control Manager with Win 10 ! Use it for calibration purposes only . "Axis tune" functions in DCS control menu will allow you to adjust curves to your satisfaction .

That is what I was using the CH Control Manager for but couldn't even get calibration to work properly. The program would stop responding frequently.

As much as i hate to say it , i'd send it back . I don't have and have never experienced any of the problems you are having , but i cannot think of a common link to all of them , so prolly not worth the frustration .