Instant action bfm vs L-39

asp22

Hey fellow pilots,

I'm returning to dcs after several years off and wanted to jump into a quick mission to bomb stuff. However the bfm mission caught my eye. I've watched plenty of videos of air to air but have never given it a go.

As you might imagine I wasn't particularly good at consistently getting a guns kill. I need help but I understand that the world of A2A is massive. Would one of you be able to give the instant action a go and provide a few tips to get me started on my journey? If you are able to provide a tacview or dcs track that would also be a great learning aid.

One further point, the mission provides you with missiles but if like to figure out how to complete the mission with guns only.

Thanks,

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks Schurem. I'll try practicing that. I do find it hard to close the gap but when I do, by pure luck, I often smack straight into the bandit. That's one way to get a kill I suppose. Well, no one said it would be easy.

Back to flight school for me.

Instant action bfm vs L-39

I did this one last night. Although the first kill was guns the second wasn’t. I’ve noticed the key for me was the AOA warning. Respect that AOA in the turns and you will eventually close the gap and make the kill. (Solid tone is approaching limit, beeping is at limit) The missile kill was completely out of panic. I avoided multiple missile shots from the second round and had enough of crapping my pants because I would acquire then lose sight of him in the turn, then find him sighting me for a missile. Rinse, repeat. To hell with it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Thanks Eagle 7907,

The AOA tip helps enormously. I've also tried breaking the rule while IAS is above 210 knots. This works well for me but I need more data points to come to a conclusion on which is best.

Regarding the L39 and missiles, they each carry two IR missiles. When the mission starts I switch counter measure mode to manual and profile C (dumps about 6 flares I think). Semi mode switches to M on a launch and it doesn't seem to create a big enough heat signature to attract the missile.

With profile C if I see a launch, I start releasing flares and do a small turn. This usually does the trick.

If I defeat the first bandit I try to fly at 90 degrees to the second, allow him to fire a missile or two I dump flares, turn and begin my task of getting a guns kill.

Edited by asp22
Correct typo {auto correct}

• 2 weeks later...

Hoo boy, that's a fun match-up! just flew this ride, and I had a hard time staying offensive on that slippery little b4st4rd !

I never managed to get saddled up but blew both away with high-aspect snapshots.

2.5.5 seems to have made the hog into a better fighter. It feels far nippier than before.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

Schurem,

I'm glad you also found it fun. Do you have any further tips after your encounter? Would you be willing to post a tacview file? Or debrief points?

When I fly the mission I seem to get into a stalemate. The L39 performs a series of hammerhead turns and I've not found a consistent approach to break the cycle.

I've not played since the update. I'm looking forward to trying out the improvements I've read about. I hope it's not a coding bug that's enabled game mode aerodynamics. :)

Schurem,

I'm glad you also found it fun. Do you have any further tips after your encounter? Would you be willing to post a tacview file? Or debrief points?

When I fly the mission I seem to get into a stalemate. The L39 performs a series of hammerhead turns and I've not found a consistent approach to break the cycle.

I've not played since the update. I'm looking forward to trying out the improvements I've read about. I hope it's not a coding bug that's enabled game mode aerodynamics. :)

My trick is to, at first, lag their turns just a bit. Don't try to cut him off in turns. You will run out of energy or stall, neither will help you. As you lag in some turns, I find opportunities to not lag and that usually closes the distance behind him for the kill. Sometimes we may get into a scissor and then if the shot is there I will take it because we are so close. Dont go for the quick kill especially since you start at 20,000ft. You will find yourself fighting just to catch up.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

• 2 weeks later...

More Lag!

This is my best effort so far (tacview file included; track file didn't work see below). As suggested by Eagle I flew lag for a long time and eventually L39 was low on energy. I find that keeping the bandit in that space above the hud works best for me. When I look at the tacview i'm almost flying the same path.

The kill is a bit meh. Still haven't quite worked out how the gun sight works. As for the second kill, well I tried to run first but it seems AI knows where i sleep. Once again, I got him to a low energy state and once more the kill was a bit wobbly; still haven't quite worked out how the gun sight works :)

Feeback from the virtual aces is welcome; be gentle.

I wanted to post the track file but it seems that the L39 doesn't follow the same route but I do... which means he gets behind me and, well you know, does his thing.

a10_vs_l39.zip

This is my best effort so far (tacview file included; track file didn't work see below). As suggested by Eagle I flew lag for a long time and eventually L39 was low on energy. I find that keeping the bandit in that space above the hud works best for me. When I look at the tacview i'm almost flying the same path.

The kill is a bit meh. Still haven't quite worked out how the gun sight works. As for the second kill, well I tried to run first but it seems AI knows where i sleep. Once again, I got him to a low energy state and once more the kill was a bit wobbly; still haven't quite worked out how the gun sight works :)

Feeback from the virtual aces is welcome; be gentle.

I wanted to post the track file but it seems that the L39 doesn't follow the same route but I do... which means he gets behind me and, well you know, does his thing.

Nah man, you are doing fine. I liked your last turn on the second engagement. You waited to turn to get behind the bandit and didn't just met him head on. Both engagements are 2 Circle (2C/ Rate/Nose-Tail) engagements that you win with a higher turn rate. You will get your highest turn rate at corner speed (I don't have the numbers for the A10). E.g. in the first flight you should have accepted lag and misaligned turn circle to fly corner. Then you will hopefully gain angles faster on the bandit and can pull for the shot at some point. For your turn circle entry you pulled too earlier and got into lag straight away. I hope this answered some of your questions and created new ones.