Best STABLE Nvidia Driver for ASUS GeForce GTX1060 STRIX OC 6GB, Windows7-64bit

Hi Gary,

I am having good luck with 378.66. Seems better than the 381 drivers for me and DCS will accept them and run. Be sure to do the rename the saved games folder routine in DCS (although I see you've done a clean install and should not need it).

Good luck!

Edited by JG14_Smil

Well I have followed your lead JG14 Smil and uninstalled 382.33 and done a clean install of 378.66 ... next shall reinstall DCS2.1.0 Hopefully all will run well. Shall stick to DCS2.1.0 and skip on 1.5.6 as seems difficult to get a driver that will run both versions of DCS well.

JG14 Smil are you running 378.66 with both versions of DCS? How do they contrast using 378.66? Thx..Gary

I'm pretty impressed by the 378.66 in both 1.5 and 2.1. I found it similar to 368 drivers in performance.

I run multi monitor and use in-DCS MSAA and AS at 8x, 16x. I now use HDR in 2.1 also and it looks wonderful.

I would need a bigger CPU for differed shading.

Gary, if you have saved games folders from a previous build, be sure to do the rename routine:

Rename the saved games folders, start DCS (let it run in a small window), click instant mission, fly, close, exit. Move config files from the renamed folders back into the new saved games folders. Can do wonders.

Is the rename routine JG 14 Smil about saving aircraft config and settings from a previous install so as to avoid job of setting up each and every aircraft again?..tedious.

As I had not refined aircraft setting to a great extent before I thought I would start from scratch and slave my way thru the setup aircraft thing with controls but be more detailed this time. I have a saved copy of Saved Games folders from previous install.

Hopefully 378.66 is running well for you. Am waiting on install to 2.1.0 to complete and see how things go.

Gary

JG14_Smil thanks for your input regards 378.66 Have found it to be pretty good with DCS2.1.0 myself ... better than 382.33 Like you I could not get 368.81 to run 2.1.0 without lots of jitter etc.

All the problems I was having before was the result of a bad update/download for 2.0 to 2.1.0

Everything running ok now. Clean install of DCS has sorted it out.

Noticed the demands of running Normandy are much greater than NTTR as is more graphics intensive for sure. So settings can be compromise to get both to run well. My old GTX770 would have struggled with 2.1.0 so glad got new GTX1060 6GB. With 2.0 could run on max settings with 1060 but not so with 2.1.0 and Normandy. I thought I had it all there but alas not so...

Gary

Glad it is working Gary.

Actually, I find 2.1 to have better performance than 2.0.

My Normandy and NTTR run the same. I find Normandy to be kind of boring and don't spend time there, so I don't really note performance details like I do in NTTR.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JG14 Smil. That is reassuring to hear as I get lag/stutter only if flying low and in and around Los Vegas within NTTR where much rendering is required..every where else is smooth..no stutter. Am running W7/64bit+16GB RAM+game on Samsung850Pro, i7CPU+NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, resolution 2560x1440.

Have attached pic of my settings within game that seem to work best for me after some experimenting. I do not want to reduce settings just so less lag at Los Vegas as I want quality for rest of NTTR as that is where I mostly fly. Any possibility u could send me a pic of the settings you have within game? Thanks Gary

Screen_170621_055443.thumb.jpg.a54ca0187b59f102552216e42261d3af.jpg

Edited by gary palmer
fuller information

Hello Gary,

DCS is updating now and settings GUI will change a bit. Screenshot will have to wait.

My monitor setup and the fact that the only thing I see of the DCS L-39 cockpit is the canopy rail and mirror make my setup unique. The mirror is near useless, so I run 256 res in the cockpit. I can run 1024 every frame, but there is really no point to doing so.

Deferred shading and my PLP monitors don't go together well (I cant go full screen 3D), so any eye candy updates to DCS aren't useable for me. Instead I run 8x and 16x MSAA and AS. Actually looks great. I don't see that ever changing as DS and in-game AS and MSAA are never going to work together (documented about DS). Other than that, HDR is the only notable thing I use.

If you want smooth flight, you need to turn that water to low. I know you said you don't want to though. It would be great if there was a hotkey to toggle this option for when you wanted it and not.

waiting to see what new adventure this update will bring...

Thx JG14Smil. Sounds like u have different setup to me in that u use multiple monitors for game. I have 2 monitor PC but one is enough for me with game. Sounds like your settings may not necessarily suit my situation.

Thanks for 378.66 as the process\experimenting with different graphic drivers is time consuming.

Not sure what you mean by the abbreviation AS? Could u clarify for me please?

Game runs smoothly when over water but are you saying a high setting on water even when water is not visible has impact on performance?

Thx for your time and trouble...Gary

• 2 months later...

So is it agreed that the 378.92 drivers are the latest that work reliably with CLoD?

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

It's an old thread.

Thank You. Yes it is 3 months old. But I would still like someone with first hand experience to answer the question if possible.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I usually read the changelogs and then decide if it is going to bring any benefit to me, if I see something like a great improvement on a game I play then I back my system up then try the new driver.

If the driver is ok after a couple of weeks I stick with it, otherwise I just restore my backup

I am big believer in if it isn't broke dont try and fix it, my driver is 6 months old currently

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

• 3 months later...

^ Good to know, I'll give them a try then. CloD after going 4.5 works perfect on any new driver now, so DCS 2.2 performance is still the only shaky thing to investigate further.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I always install the newest one. If it bugs then take the beta that comes 2 days after, semper idem.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 3 weeks later...

Nvidia Driver 390.65, Windows7-64bit, GTX1060 Graphic Card

Am running ASUS GeForce GTX1060 STRIX OC 6GB graphic card, Windows7-64bit with DCS World 2.2

Can anybody give my feedback about latest Nvidia driver 390.65 who has similar rig as me.

Any issues, is it smoother etc. Gary

it didn t work for me, that's what I can say.

running latest 388 driver

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Latest driver = most stable driver.

you cannot say this per se. Many drivers come out and dont work on many machines, then they make a beta... happens with every other NV release

The latest driver has support for the most recent game releases, that is a valid assumption.