Low FPS in some situations with 1080 TI

Recently upgraded to a 1080TI and was planning to get a 4k Monitor in the near future, however I'm noticing that my FPS is very low in some situations with my current 2560 x 1440 resolution. Maybe my expectations are too high for my machine (4790K with 16GB RAM) ? Most of my gaming is on the 1.5 Stable version.

I loaded up the Huey UN campaign mission #6 today and had FPS in the 17-20 range. Once I get up in the air, I rarely drop below 60 fps, but once I get back around the FARP the fps deteriorates badly. Makes landing much less fun.

Any recommendations ? My current settings are below:

Untitled.thumb.png.a411b32d9032f43cc88c954eb20d22ee.png

try turning V-Sync Off.. I have followed a lot of these performance threads and it seems there are alot of different fixes as there are problems..

The best answer I seen was how the game handles what it does and that seems to be a big cause..

I do know there are a lot of factors to contribute to poor performance..

But in your case I would try disabling V-sync it may help when down low as the way vSync works I would almost bet that it will be higher down low the FPS..

Now one reason most people like vSync is it helps with tearing I ddont have that issue but if your screen is a LCD you may or may not notice the tearing..

Let me know what happens if you disable Vsync..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Thanks for the reply.

I tried v-sync but no difference.

I've found that reducing water and visib to medium I can get an extra ~10fps in that same misson start. Tried a few other settings but nothing else seems to make much of a difference. Will try making some more adjustments and report back.

You dont need x16 MSAA at that resolution at all.

Try this:

MSAA x4 / Res. of Cockpit displays 512 / Terrain Object Shadows Planar

Also you can increase terrain preload to max.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

There's definitely something wrong with your setup. I have i5 4690k OC to 4.2 , gtx 1060 6gb and 16 gb RAM. My DCS setting similar with yours and the lowest FPS is 35 with crowded ground and air units in open conflict and 104th server, that's only in the ground once airborne I have 60-120. I play DCS in 1440 res

I'm sorry can't give you any useful suggestion right now.

Good luck man, don't give up

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Thanks for the reply.

I tried v-sync but no difference.

I've found that reducing water and visib to medium I can get an extra ~10fps in that same misson start. Tried a few other settings but nothing else seems to make much of a difference. Will try making some more adjustments and report back.

Didd you check to see if VSync is on in the nVidia control panel?? if it is not going over 60 Vsync could still be on

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

You dont need x16 MSAA at that resolution at all.

Try this:

MSAA x4 / Res. of Cockpit displays 512 / Terrain Object Shadows Planar

Also you can increase terrain preload to max.

Tried these but made little difference.

There's definitely something wrong with your setup. I have i5 4690k OC to 4.2 , gtx 1060 6gb and 16 gb RAM. My DCS setting similar with yours and the lowest FPS is 35 with crowded ground and air units in open conflict and 104th server, that's only in the ground once airborne I have 60-120. I play DCS in 1440 res

I'm sorry can't give you any useful suggestion right now.

Good luck man, don't give up

Do you mind loading up that UN Pilot Mission 6 and see what FPS you get at mission start with the equivalent settings ?

Unfortunately, I don't have the huey. So I can't replicate the exact mission. I'd like to try other module, I have FC3, Gazelle, KA-50, M2K, A-10C, MiG-21, MiG-15, P-51D, and F-5E

Edit : It also raised the possibility that mission is broken. Have you tried play other mission ? How the FPS in MP ?

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Thats weird. You have a better machine than mine and my FPS are on steady 60 almost all the time. Could you take a pic of the Nvidia control panel settings?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Any recommendations ? ...

[ATTACH]162459[/ATTACH]

Try reinstall (clean install) driver.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Unfortunately, I don't have the huey. So I can't replicate the exact mission. I'd like to try other module, I have FC3, Gazelle, KA-50, M2K, A-10C, MiG-21, MiG-15, P-51D, and F-5E

Edit : It also raised the possibility that mission is broken. Have you tried play other mission ? How the FPS in MP ?

I've played a few other missions and things seem mostly fine, I usually average in the ~60 range.

I'll need to try a few more situations and see if there is another module you can do a similar test with.

Thats weird. You have a better machine than mine and my FPS are on steady 60 almost all the time. Could you take a pic of the Nvidia control panel settings?

Do you mind loading up that mission with the "high" preset settings and report back ? I'll try to get the control panel screenshot once I'm back home.

Try reinstall (clean install) driver.

Did this, but DCS performance is around the same. Performance in other applications seem fine.

Ran some 3Dmark tests and Cinebench so I think the drivers and hardware are fine.

i didnt complete the Huey campaign to be able to run the 6th mission so i cant reproduce it.

Do you have any other single mission that cause you FPS problems to test it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Might be just exceptionally heavy mission - hardware-wise. We know DCS doesn't perform all that well when there are lots of units around, even on powerful PCs. I don't own Huey, so I cannot fire up that one.

@ Esac - can't you just find and play the mission "manually", using the editor?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Might be just exceptionally heavy mission - hardware-wise. We know DCS doesn't perform all that well when there are lots of units around, even on powerful PCs.

Starting to wonder the same myself..

@ Esac - can't you just find and play the mission "manually", using the editor?

Yep, you can also access them from the main menu, under missions and browse to the campaigns folder :

Untitled.thumb.png.6f1495102f6606e35dcf8776b98c9f85.png

For me at the start of the mission i have around 40 to 50 FPS. 44-46 is the average.

The same returning to the FARP.

One in the air turning left to follow the leader, steady 60 FPS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So, I was doing a free flight over Vegas in 2.xx and was able to get my FPS from well up over 100 by turning off Vsync. Previously it was capped at 60.

The same vysnc change doesn't work on 1.5x. I see no difference.

Here are my Control Panel settings:

Capture.JPG.bc6207609a771661115790964235242d.JPGCapture2.JPG.511e4f5ab18f5b8ee7a10aa3f25e1515.JPG

Starting to wonder if I should consider a reinstall of DCS 1.5x.

So, I was doing a free flight over Vegas in 2.xx and was able to get my FPS from well up over 100 by turning off Vsync. Previously it was capped at 60.

[ATTACH]162526[/ATTACH][ATTACH]162527[/ATTACH]

This is how VSYNC work, your screen have a 60Hz refresh rate, so if VSYNC is activated, your FPS will be capped at 60, to avoid stutter and screen tearing. Try "application controled" in the Nvidia control panel, tick the VSYNC option in DCS:World. Don't forget to hit left Alt+enter once you are in game to be in true full screen mode, as it is still bugged.

Does this still occur if you were to drop the resolution to a minimum/windowed mode, and re-run the test? If it does, it's a CPU-bound issue that likely isn't anything to do with your processor. the 4790K's have extremely strong single-thread performance, so it'll be an issue with the sim.

Run these tests with high/ultra graphics, lowest resolution with Task Manager/Performance in view to be sure of the situation - do a little troubleshooting ;)

I don't always openly list my things. But when I do, I put it in my signature.

So I can get the performance up by dropping the textures down but I haven't bothered with reducing the resolution. I am starting to think this is just the sim because the card and my machine performs flawlessly in other games/situations/benchmarks.

I am not sure if anyone with similar specs and resolution is able to test, but at 1440p all high preset I cannot pass 20fps. When the mission starts, there are about 6 different AI helicopters around the player all starting engines and or taking off. Its a huge amount happening at this point. Someone commented earlier about getting 40-60fps but they were running 1080p.

I was hoping to be able to game with the 1080TI comfortably at 4k but now I am leery of investing in a new monitor if the card is choking at 1440p.

Hi,

the current DCS 1.5 on a decent assembly hw base Intel I7 7700k together GTX 1080Ti absolutely miserable performance. I mean that it is not possible to keep at least a constant 60fps at Full HD resolution just medium detail. I had a GTX 970 together I7 4790k at the same mission, I upgraded exactly 6fps, but in other applications, increased performance as 4x, so the error is somewhere in the optimization alone engine simulator.

Will be out soon N1944 together with DCS 2.0, where I'm expecting better results what it claims the users of the Nevada map. Pet

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

[ATTACH]162526[/ATTACH][ATTACH]162527[/ATTACH]

I also have a 1080Ti and have very good performance with almost all in high settings and that in 4K!!! I mostly use the A10-C.

What i have seen at first glance is that you have the clutter/grass very high, i have it at 150.

Also your terrain objects shadow try changing them to flat and the other shadows to Low

in the Nvidia control Panel i have also noticed that you have power management to Optimal Power, try changing that to performance

Lets see if i can help, here i send you my settings :

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=162570&stc=1&d=1495650275

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=162571&stc=1&d=1495650284

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=162572&stc=1&d=1495650293

1048554318_DCSsettings1.jpg.80940f311051d6bfac55142ae07428f4.jpg

1091293685_DCSsettings2.jpg.a9112b95bb9386eb43df9ff930f65ae4.jpg

817234637_DCSsettings3.jpg.f56e847f2e470800ae3d3e8dd509af11.jpg

Edited by rajdary

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Try multiplayer CZ MB2 server, there is a need to switch to Low detail otherwise the huge declines of the images and yet there's nothing around that graphically demanding.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.