Auto Air Scoop Not Effective - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 12:34 AM   #1
SPS48A

Default Auto Air Scoop Not Effective

How effective should the automatic radiator scoop doors be. I am finding not very. Seems to me it should be able to regulate temp in a normal climb or even for high power operation. I find that to keep the oil from overheating I must manually adjust the door. Is this normal? If so, what good is automatic operation?
SPS48A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 AM   #2
slickdevel

I have found the same.
Before startup I flip both to manual and give each switch one press. I monitor all the time and go auto only if the oil temps look too low and usually back to manual.

Maybe on an eight hour mission with long cruises the auto function works but it doesn't seem to for our frags.
I watched a vid from Kermit Weeks, he never uses manual, maybe we're not flying a plane with a great engine model.
Don't pay attention to me though, I'm new at this P-51.

Slick

Last edited by slickdevel; 09-10-2019 at 01:33 AM.
slickdevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:41 AM   #3
Magic Zach

Auto does a terrible job of keeping the engine cool. It seems in auto mode, it will never fully open.

Before startup, just knock the coolant door down to manual, and leave oil in auto so it warms up while on the ground. Once the oil passes 40C, flip the coolant door to auto. After takeoff, if you are going to do any fast and/or aggressive flying or climbing, fully open the oil door manually, but you can keep the coolant in auto.
With this, you can climb at ~175MPH IAS at 3000RPM and 55inches, though that is about the limit of it.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 AM   #4
grafspee

Auto is for maximum performance not minimum temps.
Auto exactly is doing what should do.
At cruise setting it will hold temps in green in high power settings it will hold high temps.
I can climb 61' 3000rpm from SL to 40k with no problem(no engine damage etc)(you can climb 67' with radiators flaps at auto but be prepared for fast climb) speed should be around 220mph
For t/o i open coolant flaps full(coolant doors dont keep up with sudden power increases during t/o roll)
But dont expect oil temps in green range while climbing with low airspeed and double the power as for cruise settings

Last edited by grafspee; 09-10-2019 at 06:41 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #5
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdevel View Post
I have found the same.
Before startup I flip both to manual and give each switch one press. I monitor all the time and go auto only if the oil temps look too low and usually back to manual.

Maybe on an eight hour mission with long cruises the auto function works but it doesn't seem to for our frags.
I watched a vid from Kermit Weeks, he never uses manual, maybe we're not flying a plane with a great engine model.
Don't pay attention to me though, I'm new at this P-51.

Slick
Dont compare this to planes flown during ww2, now p-51 most likely are tweaked for longest engine life.
And take note that Kermit t/o at 55" and as soon he is airbron he drops to 46" 2700 then he drops to 2400rpm with about 30" boost.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
grafspee

just check how auto works in other dcs warbirds. Someone painted green lines on temp gages and everyone start freaking out as soon needles leave this green area
What is redline for coolant in p51 121C? if you are below that you are fine.
what is max oil temp ?? 90C and 95C for wep if you are below you are fine.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-10-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
whaaw

as soon as i in the air i fully open both radiators. Auto may work, but idlike to keep my temp in the green. only time i have to close them a little bit when im faster than 300, or high up. otherwise i let them 100% open.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaw View Post
as soon as i in the air i fully open both radiators. Auto may work, but idlike to keep my temp in the green. only time i have to close them a little bit when im faster than 300, or high up. otherwise i let them 100% open.
as soon in the air ?? so you are not opening radiators before t/o ?? that is bad
obsolutely not needed you are slowing plane way down.
If you stay below 90c oil and 121c coolant there is no way to harm engine.
Any way it is hared to be at thid high temps becouse you will have to use high power setting which are limited by time uf use.
Any way in combat situation i have very little time to baby sit my temps

Last edited by grafspee; 09-10-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #9
whaaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
as soon in the air ?? so you are not opening radiators before t/o ?? that is bad
obsolutely not needed you are slowing plane way down.
If you stay below 90c oil and 121c coolant there is no way to harm engine.
Any way it is hared to be at thid high temps becouse you will have to use high power setting which are limited by time uf use.
Any way in combat situation i have very little time to baby sit my temps
depends on how long im at the ground before take off. if water temp is already near the green zone i open it for takeoff, but when i spawn near the rwy and oiltemp is ready i start without open water radiator. while takeoff it climbs and bevor it leaves the greenzone i open it. i figured out if i leave them almost completely open i dont have to manage temps at all. only when im fast or climb into cool air i need to close them a little bit so they dont drop to much. for me Autocooling only works in high altitude or power setting 2400rpm 35Hg on very low altitude everything above temps go crazy in auto mode.

all the problems i had in the beginning with broken engine and so on was because auto mode didn't do the job. Since i manage them myself i didnt had a broken engine in 20h of flight. no matter what power setting i use.

And yes i know this is not by the book, or will slow me down, but in the end this is what works for me and my buddys

Last edited by whaaw; 09-10-2019 at 08:22 AM.
whaaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaw View Post
depends on how long im at the ground before take off. if water temp is already near the green zone i open it for takeoff, but when i spawn near the rwy and oiltemp is ready i start without open water radiator. while takeoff it climbs and bevor it leaves the greenzone i open it. i figured out if i leave them almost completely open i dont have to manage temps at all. only when im fast or climb into cool air i need to close them a little bit so they dont drop to much. for me Autocooling only works in high altitude or power setting 2400rpm 35Hg on very low altitude everything above temps go crazy in auto mode.

all the problems i had in the beginning with broken engine and so on was because auto mode didn't do the job. Since i manage them myself i didnt had a broken engine in 20h of flight. no matter what power setting i use.
What do you mean by "temps go crazy" ?? oil goes above 90 and coolant above 121 ? maby you are closing them not setting auto
I fly on auto all the time i have no problem with temps.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-10-2019 at 08:30 AM.