options for video capture?

Rick50

Think I'm using the right terminology, if I want to turn my flight into a video, say for youtube or making a movie, what do I need exactly?

I think I need a video capture device/app, is that right?

What do you guys use nowdays?

Long time ago the only way was a program called Fraps I think, but if I understand it, it took a huge performance hit, while today there seem to be hardware types that don't lose much performance? is that right?

I second OBS.

I used to use Nvidia's built-in recording, but the file sizes were incredibly large, the audio codec doesn't work well with my editing software, and that annoying "recording has started/recording has been saved" overlay that sits there for 5 seconds has ruined otherwise perfect shots more than once.

With OBS I can record with the same low-resource Nvidia codec, and then put the footage straight into my editor without having to bother with converting.

I used Fraps, but as Nealius says, it also generates absurdly huge raw data files and badly hurts FPS.

OBS is probably the best bet for software. You do not need a ''video capture device''.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yep...OBS is best

just made this in 4K

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2

I've been using Nvidia Shadowplay for a couple of years myself.

Haven't tried recording with OBS yet though..

OBS is extremly Powerfull

You can use multiple layers to record...define different scenes.....up to 6 Audiotracks simultaniously....many many Filters and .....

4K Recording with the build in NVENC is no big deal.....you can record in MP4 but I suggest to record first in mkv and use the build in RECODE to make an MP4.....without loosing quality or audiotracks

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2