Can not get the tail wheel locked!!! - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 06:17 AM   #21
Shahdoh

Bob Hoover escaped from prison camp, made it to a German airfield and stole a plane and flew it back. All the while wondering if he was going to get shot down. This was towards the end of the war though when thing were quite chaotic and Germans were abandoning places.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:27 AM   #22
Aurelius

The name Hoover came to mind Shahdoh but I could not remember the details, ... much appreciated. Were any Allied aircraft lifted by Axis pilots who were prisoners of war?

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - EVGA FTW3 2080 Ti - VKB GF MCG Pro - Virpil T-50CM Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Odyssey Plus, testing Reverb

If you have a chance, give Calculus or Differential Equations a try!

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:32 AM   #23
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Correct me if I am wrong guys, but weren't there some Allied pilots who crashed or ditched in Axis territory, made it to an Axis air base and lifted off in a Bf-109 or FW 190 grand theft auto style and actually made it back to Allied territory?
i know couple stories where pilots manage to escape captivity but never heard about GTP
but anyway flying over allied airfield in german plane could be very dangerouse and almost certain death, allied AAA crews were so sensitive to planes that even allied planes sometime could not escape from AAA anger.
Still could be possible ditch plane in some isolated area

Last edited by grafspee; 07-30-2019 at 06:36 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #24
DD_Fenrir

Maj Briuce Carr of the 354th FG did the GTA thing in an Anton apparently...
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #25
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
Maj Briuce Carr of the 354th FG did the GTA thing in an Anton apparently...
lucky one
but i would be more impressed if he would GTP with bf-109 by convincing german ground crew to crank his inertia starter heh
Old 08-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #26
Aurelius

Guys, something is wrong. I still can't get the tail wheel locked. I start off head straight for 30 to 40 m to align the tailwheel with the fuselage and pull back on the stick, ... and that does not lock it. When I come in to land, I careen, tilt and end up crashed sixty percent of the time.

Are there no keyboard commands for locking the tailwheel? I know something simple is messed up, but what, I do not know.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - EVGA FTW3 2080 Ti - VKB GF MCG Pro - Virpil T-50CM Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Odyssey Plus, testing Reverb

If you have a chance, give Calculus or Differential Equations a try!

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #27
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Guys, something is wrong. I still can't get the tail wheel locked. I start off head straight for 30 to 40 m to align the tailwheel with the fuselage and pull back on the stick, ... and that does not lock it. When I come in to land, I careen, tilt and end up crashed sixty percent of the time.

Are there no keyboard commands for locking the tailwheel? I know something simple is messed up, but what, I do not know.

Try in different order, while you're aligning tail wheel keep stick full aft then you should lock it easy.
I think that when you retract gear,tail wheel lock it self so there is no way to land with unlocked position,so maybe you just push stick forward to much after landing. I realy have no clue what it may be wrong.
Take note that when tail wheel is in lock position, it will follow rudder up to 6 degree each side (left/right).
There is no other way to lock tail wheel in p-51,only by using stick
After touch down plane is till very unstable, you need to pay extra attention to rudder to keep is straight
If this still fail,i advice you to check your bindings,maybe something is messing this up
I will tell you this, P-51 is THE EASIEST warbird to handle in dcs
For example spitfire has no tail wheel lock at all, very narrow undercarriege, fw190 and bf109 have very uneffective rudder at low speeds making it a lot harder to t/o and land
In p-51 everything is in sweet spot.

Last edited by grafspee; 08-07-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #28
Captain Orso

Locking the tail-wheel is NOT like putting a padlock on it. Once you have taken off, forget that it was ever locked. When you land you MUST lock it again.

Assuming you are doing a 3-point landing. Once you have all three wheels safely on the ground, you pull back on the throttle to remove all power from the engine and pull back all the way on the control stick; basically, put it in your lap and leave it there.

This does two things, 1. it locks the tail-wheel, which because you have just landed and are not doing doughnuts down the runway -- I hope --, and 2. it adds authority to the tail-wheel by the elevator pushing it into the ground.

Get used to that and you will never have a problem with the tail-wheel after landing again

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #29
Mech

When the engine is at idle, you can hear a slight click sound when you push or pull back the stick.
Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #30
grafspee

Like a said, the best way is to just read manual
I dont really pay attention to what im doing druring t/o or lading now