F-22 vs Fokker Triplane - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Pilotasso
Veteran

these days sensors have no trouble picking up biplanes even if they are mostly made of wood and canvas by area and volume, they still have radar reflecting materials (im thinking about those piston engines).

AESA radars and IIR sensors can pick up minimal signatures much better than 1980's F-14's.

End result would be a massacre and no competition.
Case: Corsair 400C
PSU: SEASONIC 760W Platinum
CPU: AMD RYZEN 2700X @ 4.2Ghz
RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3533Mhz CL 15 CR=1T
MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4
GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X
Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals
Monitor: ASUS PB278Q IPS 27" LED 1440P
Pilotasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
MikeMikeJuliet

I don't really think there is any competition here - but thoughts that arise from such a ridiculous asymmetric setup.

I vote for the Fokker... the F-22 pilot will laugh so hard he dies.
MikeMikeJuliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #13
GGTharos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden108 View Post
It sounds like an easy fight. The F-22 would win hands down, right? But I was thinking about it. The WWI bird doesn't have a big radar signature and its going slow, so the F-22's radar missiles would be useless. The engine probably doesn't emit enough heat for a heater to pick it up. So all the F-22's fancy weapons are rendered useless.
That is a very uninformed assumption. Lost this fight before it even started.

Quote:
Now it's a gun fight. A WWI aircraft can out turn an F-22 all day long. So I think the WWI bird would have a better chance than you'd first think. What are your thoughts?
Who cares if it can out-turn an F-22 if it's basically sitting in place? The F-22 doesn't need to turn. It will just do a fly-by and the fokker will fall apart from 1nm range gunnery. It's no different than gunning down a heli. This is the same silly argument make about aircraft out-turning missiles 'but missiles can't keep up with this turn rate because they're going mach 4!' ... yep, and they also don't care, because all your turn rate won't get you out of their way.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Last edited by GGTharos; 09-14-2017 at 12:00 AM.
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 AM   #14
probad

gg nailed it again. rate with no speed produces no displacement.

really this shouldnt have to be pointed out in a flightsim community.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 AM   #15
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

Great rate, no displacement.

You think you cant shoot it?

Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6 - GTX 1060 EXOC KFA2 - 16 Gigas RAM 1.600 - 1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55 - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - Track IR 4
Esac_mirmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59th_RAVENS View Post
Ah, Hollywood! Guess the F-22 would be no match for any of these :

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #17
Rotorhead

Now, I probably suck at thought experiments, but it really begs the question why on earth would the F-22 pilot even want to fight the Fokker? Unless the archvillain is escaping in a Fokker to his evil underground base, and the F-22 is the only fighter available (since we are already speculating, we may as well go all the way, right ), wouldn't it be most sensible for the F-22 pilot to ignore the Fokker and mind his/her own mission anyway (since the Fokker has no means to hurt the F-22).

As GG correctly pointed out, for the F-22 it would be nothing else than intercepting a helo, or.... wait for it... attacking a ground target, but still, it doesn't even matter. Who cares whether F-22 wins or loses to a Fokker, if it wasn't meant to fight WWI planes in the first place? It's bit like theoretizing that the Abrams tank really sucks at hunting rabbits - yes, I guess it does, and that's why we use hunting rifles instead.

As I said, I suck at thought experiments, so sorry for being a spoilsport. But eh, still better than the time I put a cat in a sealed box with a Geiger counter and a bottle of neurotoxin.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:30 AM   #18
The Black Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
It's bit like theoretizing that the Abrams tank really sucks at hunting rabbits
LOL I'd love to see that!!!
Actually the Abrams might be good at it, with those fancy IR sensors.
Then again the caliber of the machine guns might not leave much left

But good analogy.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:24 AM   #19
MiG21bisFishbedL

14bis is superior tbqh

Move MiG. For great justice. You know what you doing. Take off every MiG.
CH Combatstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals
MiG21bisFishbedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #20
MikeMikeJuliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Now, I probably suck at thought experiments, but it really begs the question why on earth would the F-22 pilot even want to fight the Fokker? Unless the archvillain is escaping in a Fokker to his evil underground base, and the F-22 is the only fighter available (since we are already speculating, we may as well go all the way, right ), wouldn't it be most sensible for the F-22 pilot to ignore the Fokker and mind his/her own mission anyway (since the Fokker has no means to hurt the F-22).

As GG correctly pointed out, for the F-22 it would be nothing else than intercepting a helo, or.... wait for it... attacking a ground target, but still, it doesn't even matter. Who cares whether F-22 wins or loses to a Fokker, if it wasn't meant to fight WWI planes in the first place? It's bit like theoretizing that the Abrams tank really sucks at hunting rabbits - yes, I guess it does, and that's why we use hunting rifles instead.

As I said, I suck at thought experiments, so sorry for being a spoilsport. But eh, still better than the time I put a cat in a sealed box with a Geiger counter and a bottle of neurotoxin.
I guess the point of all this was not to debate weither or not the F-22 would or should fight the Fokker. The nice thing about thought experiments is that we can just ignore that aspect and focus on the dynamics of the fight itself.

It indeed makes no sense, but that is partly why it is a thought experiment and not a serious debate.

Regards,
MikeMikeJuliet
MikeMikeJuliet is offline   Reply With Quote