Voters: 1139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #701
MaxDamage+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterH View Post
I doubt that. For many people, Kamov will remain the choice :
- Much more numerous and significantly better ATGM
- Better gun (with caveats may be, but still overall better than any of 3 possible gun installations Hind may have)
- Easier to fly / more maneuverable
- More advanced systems / easier navigation with ABRIS
- Shkval being better than Raduga
- Single seat

Though I am more into Mi-24 myself, and I suppose for a while many people will also be so due to Mi-24 being a new module, after that period of "oooohh shiny!" wears off, I think people will more often pick Ka-50 if they just want to get them AG kills.

They could complement each other rather nicely in a well scripted mission though. Especially if Mi-24 will have a RWR.

I look forward to Mi-24 so much, I am taking a hiatus off DCS until there is one to fly .

Edit :

For the sake of fairness, stuff that go for Mi-24 in comparison to Kamov could be :
- Transport capability (requires mission scripting)
- Possibility to act as air artillery with lots of rockets loaded while still having a few ATGM too
- Multicrew
- Maybe if Belsimtek will implement it, there can be a gunner in the cargo hold.
- Possibly an RWR
- Most likely a better visibilty out of canopy
- Undeniable coolness factor of Mi-24!
According to the dev (which is also by coincidence a big mi8 pilot).

Mi24 is unprallelled in FFAR and fixed gun use among other helicopters. It flies "close to a plane" in a sense that it is very stable, has plane like aerodynamics and allows accurate aiming. ka50 is not close to this and mi 8 is a bit closer but still it is not very pitch stable and it has low dampening in comparison to mi24.

If you try to use s8 on ka50 and then try to use s8 on su25 you ll know what i mean when i say one is stable and another is not.

That is why people like mi24 so much.
MaxDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #702
lmp
ED Translator

BTW, does anybody know how the ASP-17V sight works on the Mi-24V/P in detail? Does it calculate weapon impact point automatically? If yes, how does it determine range to target?
lmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #703
Hyena

Send a message via AIM to Hyena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp View Post
BTW, does anybody know how the ASP-17V sight works on the Mi-24V/P in detail? Does it calculate weapon impact point automatically? If yes, how does it determine range to target?
The sight seems to work in conjunction with an analog computer for ballistics calculations, rather than being a 'dumb' gyro-sight. Though my google-fu is failing me on how it gains its ranging information FOR said calculations. Seeing as it similar to the sight used on the Su-25, which gains its ranging information from a laser range-finder, I would assume the Mi-24P would use similar.

Last edited by Hyena; 12-04-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #704
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

laser rangefinder?

Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6 - GTX 1060 EXOC KFA2 - 16 Gigas RAM 1.600 - 1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55 - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - Track IR 4
Esac_mirmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #705
MaxDamage+
Posting Rights Revoked

It has no laser rangefinder. We should expect something similar to a mi8 i think. But its a more smooth helo to aim as a bonus.
MaxDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #706
lmp
ED Translator

The earlier D version of the Hind has the PKV sight we know and love from the Mi-8, but V and P versions have an ASP-17V automatic sight which has a similar designation and looks like the sight on the Su-25.

Thanks for all your guesses but I'm really looking for facts. I realise it's probably a similar sight to the one on the Su-25, I also know the versions in question don't have laser rangefinders, so they need to calculate range differently.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #707
foxbat155

Distance calculation depending from ASP-17V operation mode. Gunsight is able work separately or in conjunction with Raduga ATM guidance system, in first case data from gunsight ballistic computer, second case AIST computer from Raduga set. In both cases it's "computing" method, according data from few sources computer calculates distance ( target size/base must be set ). Accuracy is about 50 m, during Afgan war some machines were equipped with laser rangefinder, sorry don't remember name.
foxbat155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:02 AM   #708
lmp
ED Translator

Thanks foxbat! ☺
Old 12-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #709
thealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp View Post
Mi-24V's onboard avionics can calculate range by triangulation method only, in most cases gunner have to set range manually. Even if laser range finder was installed on some of the helicopters, it's data can be useful for pilots only, not computers. Also ASP-17V can compensate target movement, based on range and angle speed of the rocker.

You can read partialy translated flight instructions for Mi-24V pilot to get understanding how it works:
http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.p..._Manual_part_2

Last edited by thealex; 12-06-2016 at 05:34 PM.
thealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #710
lmp
ED Translator

Thanks a ton for that link!