New to the Fishbed: So many questions: - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #41
hovring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
Rewatch my video. You can clearly see that none of my controls are "in one place." They are constantly moving. I'm making minute corrections all the way down. Any more stick movement and I would have been wobbling all over the place.

Yes its a nice video and I have no need to watch it again.
You are to gentel and unprecis for the mig-21 and I can tell you are used to fly f-18 or mirage or other airplane with systems to help you fly.

In mig-21 you are on your own
hovring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #42
Nealius

I should show you my Spitfire and Bf109 landings then, and you can criticise me over how "unprescise [sic]" and "gentel [sic]" I am with those as well since apparently I'm just a fly-by-wire n00b

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #43
BadHabit

Really guys another flame war?

The landing was on spot, not considering the unnecessary aerobrake attempt .

My YouTube channel

SPECS
-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz
-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P
-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g
-16 GB RAM
-Saitek X 52
-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led
BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #44
Nealius

I just dug up an old video of a former Czechoslovakian Fishbed doing basically what I did, minus the taking off again part. I'm starting to wonder if I should just let the nose come down naturally and then center the stick/give a little forward stick to keep the nose grounded.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #45
some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
From a quick search on YT:

The aircraft always wants to go nose down after the main wheels and you see the behavior also in the sim, you can force it to keep the nose up but this also will be short.

https://youtu.be/afm9yd4Wo1k?t=30

For this you need very fine adjustment of the stick, throttle and the use of air brakes (specially for touch & goes, this is what I do to keep the rpm higher and the decent rate true to landing config) at the time the main wheels touch and friction creates.
The first video kind of contradicts your statement, tochdown in real life is smooth while in DCS the nose immediately goes down and the guy raises it again for aerobraking at 0:40 mark.

You can also find other real life videos where pilots keep the nose up high for a few seconds without much apparent effort. No violent pitch down or sudden elevator movements when the mains touch the ground:

https://youtu.be/Ox3mOkAL1eE?t=384
https://youtu.be/0-cEdwgYdAw?t=662

And these behave very differently, even when slammed on the runway (not a bis though).
https://youtu.be/NpuORPtSxhY?t=105

Owned modules & betas: A-10C; Ka-50; P-51; FW-190D; UH-1; FC; FC2; FC3; L-39C/ZA; MiG-15bis; F-86F Sabre; Bf 109 K-4; F-5E; Mi-8MTV2; M-2000C; SA-342; MiG-21bis; C-101 Aviojet; Hawk T.1A; Spitfire IX; AJS 37; AV-8B;NTTR; PG
Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift CV1

Last edited by some1; 02-16-2019 at 01:48 PM.
some1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:30 AM   #46
hovring

Quote:
I should show you my Spitfire and Bf109 landings then, and you can criticise me over how "unprescise [sic]" and "gentel [sic]" I am with those as well since apparently I'm just a fly-by-wire n00b

What. Really?! You really think a ww2 ride is the same as a mig-21? You think a ww2 ride is the same as mig-21.... well, happy hunting man! Really, you need it.... 30 years of aerodynamics, engine power, wing construction etc... (you know the mig-21 is a delta and the bf109 and the spitfire is not, yes?!)

Really sorry if you feel offended. Not my intention!!

Just tried to help.

I am sorry, but still, your stick work for the mig-21 is off. You can be angry, hate me or what ever. Just trying to help!
Its ok......
Stick handling "one o one" in mig-21: Aggressive-precision-results!

The air frame will tell you when its wrong!!

If it doesn't do what you want, you are off...

Sorry to offend you! Not my intention, not at all!!
Prove me wrong!!!

Give me a video where you balance the shit out of the airframe.... because you can! You know how! Agressive-precision-results...

Last edited by hovring; 02-18-2019 at 10:54 AM.
hovring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #47
Dehuman

Quote:
I just dug up an old video of a former Czechoslovakian Fishbed doing basically what I did, minus the taking off again part. I'm starting to wonder if I should just let the nose come down naturally and then center the stick/give a little forward stick to keep the nose grounded.
If you're not breaking the nose gear then yeah.

If there's no wind my control input on landing is fairly minimal tbh. Trim does nearly all the work right up to flare out then release to neutral to bring the nose down.

Sooner the nose is down the sooner I can drop the chute and pull the brakes. Shorter the landing the shorter the taxi back to the start.
Dehuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #48
RIVER

Quote:
This is driving me nuts. Touchdown at 1m/s descent rate, 310-320kph, stick about a quarter aft, nose gear still slammed into the runway. I tried keeping the nose up by maintaining about a quarter aft stick, and went airborne again at 280kph idle throttle. The amount of instantaneous friction when the mains touch isn't making sense to me when compared to aerobraking in other jets.

Remember what the Mig 21 controlls feel like if you are in the air and go super slow like 400 km per hour. She does not react well and wobbles a lot. You can pull on the stick pretty hard with almost no reaction due to the slow airflow. At touchdown speed its the same. Key is to pull the stick back, almost full backwards, then you enter the window were you can touch town and the nosewheel stays up. Too much and you scratch the end of the 21. Good luck, it is difficult but rewarding if you mastered it.
RIVER is offline   Reply With Quote