DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion - Page 14 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #131
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic98 View Post
The -24 apart from being a gunship/attack helicopter also has limited troop carrying capacity. Something the single-seat Ka-50 doesn't have
True. Though in practice it was almost never used that way due to terrible performance.
Bearfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #132
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviators View Post
Do you think I can replace the Mi-8?
Absolutely no way. Same as the AH-1 cannot replace the Huey. Or the Apache the Black Hawk. Or Romeo Juliet. They complement each other beautifully, and one cannot live with one but not the other.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #133
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
True. Though in practice it was almost never used that way due to terrible performance.
Hmmm... I think I've read somewheres many a moon ago that they actually did that quite a lot in Afganistan. I.e. took 10 troops onboard, fueled the chopper lightly and took all armament they could while still staying below MTOW & then dropped the troops off, rocketed the target before the troops went in, landed the chopper and waited for the troops to come back before flying back to base. But I can't remember any particulars anymore since it really was ages ago...
Old 01-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #134
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
Hmmm... I think I've read somewheres many a moon ago that they actually did that quite a lot in Afganistan. I.e. took 10 troops onboard, fueled the chopper lightly and took all armament they could while still staying below MTOW & then dropped the troops off, rocketed the target before the troops went in, landed the chopper and waited for the troops to come back before flying back to base. But I can't remember any particulars anymore since it really was ages ago...
"As noted earlier, the 'flying IFV' concept did not prove feasible in combat. The crews were reluctant to fly a 'battlebus' full of 'passengers' firing out of the windows, as the Mi-24 was decidely overweight and sluggish with a full payload. Hence the armor plating and troop seats in the cabin were often removed to save weight."

-- "Mil Mi-24 Hind Attack Helicopter" (Yefim Gordon and Dmitriy Komissarov, Airlife)

The above book is a truly fantastic resource on the Mi-24. Great detail on its development and operations across all variants, including typical missions, weapons loads, performance, and pilot stories. Definitely worth getting!

Anyway, while I have no doubt that the Mi-24 may have been used in the battlebus capacity, it does not look to be a SOP or even common, and certainly not liked. The typical and certainly common usage that I've seen in numerous accounts is working in close conjunction with Mi-8's, with the latter not just fulfilling the troop transport role by also airborne FAC, C&C, etc. There are also reports of Mi-8 gunships working in conjunction with Mi-24's, with the former the providing initial heavy salvos of longer range rocket fire to plaster and area and then turning away, while the Mi-24's continue in for the close-in work with guns. I think I read that on these forums somewhere. As anyone who has done a run in on/over ground forces in Mi-8 can tell you, as it is unarmored it is extremely vulnerable to fire, even small arms fire, to the extent that even getting close to (let alone flying over) troops firing at you can shred you up. According to the above source, the Mi-24 with its armor proved itself time and time again on the battlefield to be, for all practical purposes, invulnerable to small arms fire, taking it with impunity, so that is definitely going to make for different employment!

Last edited by Bearfoot; 01-10-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #135
Maverick24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfoot View Post
I am incredibly excited about the Mi-24!!! Totally iconic helicopter and this is the one module I am looking forward to more than the F-18 and every other fixed-wing announced COMBINED!

But curious: why do you say it is a multi-capable multi-role helo over the existing ones combined? Surely the current KA-50 can do it all, and perhaps more?
It depends on what historical period you want to simulate. Mi-24 definetly belong 80s and 90s, the times, when Ka50/52 was only as a prototype or times, when Ka50/52 was sending to fights only in very small ammount. Besides those two types works in cooperation till this day in modern conflict - including V or P versions (dont deny more or less modifications).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
The Mi-24 will have the same effect on rotary-wings community as the F-18 on the fixed wings one. it will be a game changer.
About that - i dont know if it will be a game changer, but I hope so. Maybe I think yes. We have to consider the fact there are many fans, who look up to Mi-24, their armies have this type and that is not only a few fans, I think there are waiting hundreds and hundreds fans for Mi-24 - including me.
Maverick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #136
Tirak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick24 View Post
About that - i dont know if it will be a game changer, but I hope so. Maybe I think yes. We have to consider the fact there are many fans, who look up to Mi-24, their armies have this type and that is not only a few fans, I think there are waiting hundreds and hundreds fans for Mi-24 - including me.
On servers like Blue Flag it will be a game changer no question. An airframe that literally can move the war on its own will be a huge deal.
Tirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #137
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick24 View Post
It depends on what historical period you want to simulate.
If the Huey legend was born in Vietnam, the Mi-24 and Mi-8 legend was born in Afghanistan, 1979-1989. The various African Wars from the 60's till today would also be the runner-up/second-stage for this legend.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #138
Rogue Trooper

We will be schooled in the MI-24s abilities!
I think hot and high in Afghanistan seriously puts a limit on the lift capability of the MI-24, as it does with all choppers. MI-8 included.
I think Hot and high is a blood stain on the minds of most Russians and this shows in the way they view the capability of their machines.

In Afghanistan or Europe, on a nice cool clear day, I reckon a couple of gunners out the side doors might just work perfectly.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #139
Rogue Trooper

In terms of the KA-50 and how the MI-24 ranks in comparison;

The MI-24 is a brute of a chopper... especially the machine we will get with its dual rapid fire 30mm Kannons. just a Brute.

The KA-50 is a high precision, High capacity sniper that fires guided missiles that have a shocking.... shocking velocity that can be fired quickly after an attack and still hit first !
Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #140
Rogue Trooper

If the MI-24 we get can laser range find, then a pair of MI-8s port and starboard would be a seriously nasty wing of 3 choppers.... MI-8s peeling of at 2-1.5 clicks.