Is DCS Nevada primarily for training or does it include combat missions?

cmorris975

Hi everyone,

Are there "standard" combat missions that come with the Nevada map, or is it primarily for training? I want to support this great simulator by making a a few purchases but I am most interested the challenge of flying in a combat environment. I have about $100 budgeted for DCS and I am thinking I should buy one add-on plane and possibly the Nevada terrain to go along with FC 3.

Thanks for your time,

Chris

At the moment - no - but ED will release an A-10C and F-15C Red Flag Campain (Pay-DLC) soon. NTTR OpenAlpha has some short combat mission, but not for so many different aircrafts.

Sample:

http://www.mudspike.com/dcs-world-2-red-flag/

• Like 1

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

ATM, Nevada is still in Alpha. So the mission availability is limited. Most of the ED modules have instant action missions available, but most of the 3rd party ones do not (You can always look in the user files for missions people have done, and some people have gotten creative with the multiplayer missions). It's my belief that the map was created primarily as a training map, however, the ability of the human mind to create things can easily change this.

Considering you have a budget, if you are mainly wanting combat missions, it's my opinion you shouldn't purchase Nevada yet, and wait until after the Alpha is complete and missions are more widely available. It is a great map thou, and ED have done a great job. No complaints so far apart from the lack of airfield lights at night (It is alpha, so I can live with it).

The FC3 missions will keep you going for a while, if you're interested in trying all the FC3 aircraft outside of the Nevada alpha (1.5 and 1.2). I haven't tried the FC3 campaigns in 1.5 thou, so maybe someone else can comment if they are working correctly.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents, good luck in your hunt for answers and hope you enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

• Like 1

-16AGR- 16th Air Guards Regiment is always looking for pilots - http://www.16agr.com

EWRS - Early Warning Radar Script

Specs:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S

Intel i5-4670k 3.4GHz OC'd 3.9GHz w/ Thermaltake 120mm Water 3.0 Pro Liquid CPU Cooler

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080

TM Hotas Warthog: SN: 06976

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

TrackIR5 with TrackClipPro & Oculus Rift

2x 28" 4k UHD Monitors (3840x2160 each) + 1280x1024

If you want a great combat experience, for 100$ budget I would advice a ground attack aircraft such as A-10C or Ka-50, and a fighter such Mirage2000 or Mig-21. Then you are covered for a few years of gameplay, and whenever you get some more cash, get nevada later.

Welcome in the DCS community, by the way :)

• Like 1

Well this IS a simulator, so there isn't really any extra challenge attached to a combat environment.

In fact I think the exercise background of the setting may allow more credible interesting missions. For instance in a conflict no one would ever send 2 A-10s into a SAM infested valley to see how long they last - it might make a (somewhat) more plausible training exercise though.

You can also easily explain any kind of opponent in exercises. One day your opponent might have access to the best weapon systems available and next week you are fighting large numbers of outdated equipment.

Of course missions builders can use live ammo and/or come up with any crooked background story they like (e.g. CA invading NV to get access to the Hoover dams electricity).

In short: there are no restrictions to the kind of missions due to it taking place in Nevada.

Edit: the current alpha does not come with any missions yet, just a few instant actions - you can however design custom missions yourself (some created by users are already available on the dcs site).

However if you absolutely want a more credible real world conflict theater you are probably better off using the old map and waiting for upcoming maps like the Strait of Hormuz http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129972

Edited by Blackeye
  • Like 1

Good info, thanks everyone. I think I will go ahead and pick this one up today - after all, I am so new I am really just at the beginning of learning how to fly in such a realistic simulator as this. I better take some time to learn the systems on the FC 3 aircraft and this would make a pretty backdrop with which to do that.

The combat campaigns are in the works too, so this is great :).

If you're looking for a whole lot of content, my suggestion is FC3 and Blackshark 2. FC3 provides a bunch of aircraft, each of which have their own campaigns and single missions. The Ka-50 in BS2 has around 5 or 6 campaigns included and since it is the oldest DCS module, it also has a ton of user made ones too. There is also a payware campaign for it that was recently released. Obviously, the Ka-50 is an attack helicopter, so I don't know if that interests you. But in terms of content, I think it's currently the biggest single module.

If you're looking for a whole lot of content, my suggestion is FC3 and Blackshark 2. FC3 provides a bunch of aircraft, each of which have their own campaigns and single missions. The Ka-50 in BS2 has around 5 or 6 campaigns included and since it is the oldest DCS module, it also has a ton of user made ones too. There is also a payware campaign for it that was recently released. Obviously, the Ka-50 is an attack helicopter, so I don't know if that interests you. But in terms of content, I think it's currently the biggest single module.

Thanks. I went with buying the Mirage 2000 and Nevada. Along with FC 3 I should be set for awhile :). I usually fly more casual sims like Strike Fighters 2 and War Thunder on "simulator" mode, so this level of realism will take a bit for me to adjust to. I love it already though!

I usually fly more casual sims like Strike Fighters 2 and War Thunder on "simulator" mode, so this level of realism will take a bit for me to adjust to. I love it already though!

Careful it can be addicting and once used to this level of detail and realism the others just won't seem the same.

DCS is pretty much all I run any more.

:thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Careful it can be addicting and once used to this level of detail and realism the others just won't seem the same.

DCS is pretty much all I run any more.

:thumbup:

Oh, I already got the bug - I can feel it. I am focusing on the A-10A alone right now, really learning all the systems and weapons. Just running practice missions against vehicles alone is enough challenge for now. Those BTR-80s with their 14.5 mm MGs are my nemesis, I can't even wrap my brain around going against true AAA and SAMs yet but I will get there.

I do want to learn proper flying as well, taxiing, the HUD waypoint and landing modes etc.. All the gauges and warnings, the whole deal. Believe it or not, the simplified systems on the FC 3 aircraft are actually quite complex to a newcomer. They are manageable though.

Welcome to DCS World!

You won't regret any of your purchases.

Some of the aircraft are extremely detailed with nearly all of the buttons and switches functional (A-10C, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H and Mi-8MTV2).

They also have different levels of flight model. It can be confusing. Here is a post with some explanations: DCS Product Terms

You also have a very strong and cooperative user base as you can tell by the responses to your questions. Don't be afraid to post anything - most will respond with useful answers.

Also check the User Files Section for downloadable campaigns, missions, mods, etc.

I've been using flight simulators for a long time and DCS is by far the best I've every played and it keeps getting better and better.

Edited by Sabre-TLA
  • Like 1

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Welcome to DCS World!

You won't regret any of your purchases.

Some of the aircraft are extremely detailed with nearly all of the buttons and switches functional (A-10C, Ka-50, P-51D).

They also have different levels of flight model. It can be confusing. Here is a post with some explanations: DCS Product Terms

You also have a very strong and cooperative user base as you can tell by the responses to your questions. Don't be afraid to post anything - most will respond with useful answers.

Also check the User Files Section for downloadable campaigns, missions, mods, etc.

I've been using flight simulators for a long time and DCS is by far the best I've every played and it keeps getting better and better.

Yeah, I actually started as a kid with a flight simulator on the Apple IIc. I think it might have been the first iteration of Microsoft's Flight Simulator? Also there was something, called "Jet" I think, that I played on my father's work computer at HP - simple wire-frame models etc.. Then onto the early Falcon on Mac and some Harrier sim that was also wire-frame I think. You get the picture!

I have been eyeing DCS for awhile now but I knew the complexity would take some time to really learn and I wanted to more jump in and fight. As Strike Fighters 2 ages, and with nothing else out there with much an aspect of realism, DCS is becoming the only real option if I want combat. So now I am taking the time and am surprised by how rewarding I find it. I just have to break it down and really learn it, system by system. A-10A cannon, bombs and general flight control are enough for a start!

Fun stuff, keep it up DCS devs!