[MERGED] DirectX 11/12, OpenGL, VulkanAPI Discussion

Hi all

We are wide awake thanks, Vulkan is being actively worked on. We indicated this in the 2020 road map.

It is a massive time consuming project, we hope to start internal testing towards the end of the year.

As soon as we can bring you news we will.

thanks

Then everything is said. Awesome thing!

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Would be nice to have one Thread per AI if thats somehow possible :) That can scale nicely with Future cpu Gens.

Keep up the good work.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Favorite module: F16C 💥
Currently learning F15E 👨‍🏫
13900k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - Varjo Aero - TM Warthog Hotas - Pedals

Hi all

We are wide awake thanks, Vulkan is being actively worked on. We indicated this in the 2020 road map.

It is a massive time consuming project, we hope to start internal testing towards the end of the year.

thanks

Thanks BN. So when I´ll see implemented, hope by the end of year, I would consider buying any other modules, but not before. I wouldn´t even try channel maps, syria etc at 20 or less fps in VR, better no thanks.

Edited by Gryzor

Please ED, finally move in here. New modules, new maps, ... completely irrelevant.

Module teams working with the SDK and Maps teams working with TDK (Terrain develop Kit), has nothing to do with the Core team and DCS engine. Diferent competences and diferent tools and funtionality.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

• ED Team
Thanks BN. So when I´ll see implemented, hope by the end of year, I would consider buying any other modules, but not before. I wouldn´t even try channel maps, syria etc at 20 or less fps in VR, better no thanks.

That is your choice as a consumer, when you are ready we will still be here and will be great-full for your support.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

+1

I always grin when I see these type of comments. Its like you guys are threatening ED that if they do not do as you say, they will go out of business or something. You guys go ahead and not buy anything and miss out on all the great DCS has to offer. You will not be missed.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I always grin when I see these type of comments. Its like you guys are threatening ED that if they do not do as you say, they will go out of business or something. You guys go ahead and not buy anything and miss out on all the great DCS has to offer. You will not be missed.

This quote sounds like a threat to you?

"Thanks BN. So when I´ll see implemented, hope by the end of year, I would consider buying any other modules, but not before. I wouldn´t even try channel maps, syria etc at 20 or less fps in VR, better no thanks."

Wierd.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Paying £60+ per a single plane, it must definitely offer more than just that. Me, I'm not missing anything. DCS is not the last biscuit in packet.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Sort of a tangent, but I recently came back to DCS after being away from my DCS hardware for about nine months to a year. The improvements in VR all on the same hardware have been remarkable.

If you're on regularly with the openbeta sometimes it is hard to see the incremental performance stuff especially when bugs and issues that pop up. As far as the big picture, I'm encouraged by the last year's progress.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Sort of a tangent, but I recently came back to DCS after being away from my DCS hardware for about nine months to a year. The improvements in VR all on the same hardware have been remarkable.

If you're on regularly with the openbeta sometimes it is hard to see the incremental performance stuff especially when bugs and issues that pop up. As far as the big picture, I'm encouraged by the last year's progress.

+1

As a person with fairly low spec for VR (GTX 1060, 16GB) I have noticed each stable release over the past year has given a substantial performance improvement.

BZ ED!!

Hi all

thanks

* this is very important to know, keep us informed please

* this is the reason, why I keep buying new modules and maps, even though I make jokes about the Channel performance; sorry for this, I had to. :)

* so I keep my fingers crossed!

Edited by wju

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

Hi here, I have question about Vulkan:

What is it ?

Will it make the game run more smoothly ?

Will it change the way the game looks ? Like 1.5 to 2.0 was a massive improvment in the graphics and my old laptop could not support DCS 2.0 so I had to buy a new one.

I ask this because I think about buying a new, better PC, but if Vulkan requires better hardware, I will definitely wait until it's released before buying anything. :)

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

i5-7300HQ@2,5GHz | nVidia GTX 1050 Ti | 8Gb RAM | 256GB SSD for Windows+DCS | Windows10

Modules:

Mirage2000C | AV-8B N/A | MiG-21Bis | F-5E | L-39 | Gazelle | FC3

Combined Arms | Supercarrier

NTTR | Persian Gulf

What is it ?

Will it change the way the game looks ? Like 1.5 to 2.0 was a massive improvment in the graphics and my old laptop could not support DCS 2.0 so I had to buy a new one.

I ask this because I think about buying a new, better PC, but if Vulkan requires better hardware, I will definitely wait until it's released before buying anything. :)

Vulkan is newer technology. Usually newer means better.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

What is it ?

May be this post from SkateZilla will also give you some inside

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4385787&postcount=221

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Thanks a lot ! I understand better now.

I read many times on the hardware related section of the forum that it does not matter if your CPU has 8 cores or more, what matters is the speed of one core. This is explained by the way DirectX11 functions.

However, it will not be correct anymore with Vulkan. So with Vulkan, it will be better to have more cores on the CPU rather than having a higher frequency on less cores . I am correct ?

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

i5-7300HQ@2,5GHz | nVidia GTX 1050 Ti | 8Gb RAM | 256GB SSD for Windows+DCS | Windows10

Modules:

Mirage2000C | AV-8B N/A | MiG-21Bis | F-5E | L-39 | Gazelle | FC3

Combined Arms | Supercarrier

NTTR | Persian Gulf

I read many times on the hardware related section of the forum that it does not matter if your CPU has 8 cores or more, what matters is the speed of one core. This is explained by the way DirectX11 functions.

However, it will not be correct anymore with Vulkan. So with Vulkan, it will be better to have more cores on the CPU rather than having a higher frequency on less cores . I am correct ?

Correct, although single core performance by itself will always be beneficial to gaming. Multi core among other things, help process data in the background and/or in parallel.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

In perfect world you are correct. In reality most (DX12/Vulkan) games still run better on CPU with less cores but higher singlecore speed

As i understand it , Vulkan and multithreading are two entirely different things .

The API will improve frametimes by unloading the CPU due to pre-cached shaders in the VRAM , making draw calls easier on the CPU .

The only hardware consideration when readying for Vulcan is more VRAM , to accommodate the pre-cache .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

As i understand it , Vulkan and multithreading are two entirely different things .

The API will improve frametimes by unloading the CPU due to pre-cached shaders in the VRAM , making draw calls easier on the CPU .

The only hardware consideration when readying for Vulcan is more VRAM , to accommodate the pre-cache .

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/gameworks/blog/munich/mschott_vulkan_multi_threading.pdf

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Vulkan was designed from ground up for multi-core, multi-thread platforms and allows the generation of graphics commands in parallel to the commands execution while previous APIs don't. Another benefit is parallel buffer generation which makes better use of all CPU cores. But of course, Vulkan is great on a CPU-bound setting, but still most graphics demanding applications are still GPU-bound, so the performance improvement is limited, although necessary for what it does is to allow a better or full use of the GPU capacity.

Edited by stormridersp

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Vulkan was designed from ground up for multi-core, multi-thread platforms and allows the generation of graphics commands in parallel to the commands execution while previous APIs don't. Another benefit is parallel buffer generation which makes better use of all CPU cores. But of course, Vulkan is great on a CPU-bound setting, but still most graphics demanding applications are still GPU-bound, so the performance improvement is limited, although necessary for what it does is to allow a better or full use of the GPU capacity.

Thanks for the link , very interesting .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I for one am very excited to see performance improvements with Vulkan. I don't play many other games on my computer besides DCS, but one game i have played is DOOM Eternal. I mention this because it uses Vulkan and although its not a simulator, it is graphically intensive with lots of stuff going on at any one time. On my system playing that in 2k at full maxed settings - nightmare settings - I get anywhere from 250-300fps - performance is outstanding. Again, its not a fair comparison, but its just a very positive example of an excellently performing title using Vulkan.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS