Request: T.O. 1F-86F-532 (DME, RMI)

Midnightzulu

I realize Belsimtek have their hands full with the Hornet release and upcoming F-4E. However, if they ever decide to update the Sabre, I hope they'll give some consideration to this modification which added an RMI, DME, and a course indicator (and presumably TACAN) as shown on page 1-10 of the T.O. F-86F-1 flight manual(1971 update). Tacan would add a much more useful medium for navigating in DCS and the RMI and DME would make radio navigation much less clunky than it is in the current Sabre. Caveat: Please do not take any development resources away from the Hornet or the Phantom to do this. Just a wish, nothing more.

Some Sabres did have those things, and trust me, flying DME arcs, computing lead radials, and mastering the fix to fix WILL up your pilot game! That said, it’s certianly not required to enjoy the module. I’m just a nerd who would love to practice old school instrument flying in this thing.

+1 yeeeeeeeeeeeees please

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

I’m also for this, and my reason why has to do with a capability that’s always been missing from the DCS:F-86 experience thus far... in real life, Sabre pilots could depend on Precision Approach Radar in various theatres of operations and be “talked down” during a Ground Controlled Approach (GCA). This allowed approaches in bad weather down to much lower limits than when just using NDBs.

Having the course indicator/RMI/DME installation would allow us to simulate GCA approaches at various aerodromes by using ILS.

rKVK9b.png

I’m not aware of an ILS capability for the F-86E. AFIK Tacan/DME were the only nav upgrades made. A Tacan/DME approach is still much more straightforward than a fixed card NDB approach though, and the upgrade would allow much more functionality. This is especially true in maps like Nevada where NDB navigation isn’t really possible.

I’m not aware of an ILS capability for the F-86E. AFIK Tacan/DME were the only nav upgrades made. A Tacan/DME approach is still much more straightforward than a fixed card NDB approach though, and the upgrade would allow much more functionality. This is especially true in maps like Nevada where NDB navigation isn’t really possible.

Correct, the tech order in question included the course indicator instrument but the glideslope needle and marker beacon light were inop. The page in the T.O.s is dated 1964, at least in the digital copy I have.

My line of thinking was, if we were to upgrade what was intended to be a Korean war era fighter bomber module (circa 1953?), why not bend the truth even more and give us simulated GCA capability, something that did exist in the early fifties, but (I think?) would be tough to add to the game (adjusting flight path based on verbal instructions received over a comm freq from an approach radar operator). I’m not a programmer so I’m not sure if simulating GCA would be as easy to implement as just giving us a way to access the existing ILS’s in game and let us simulate our own GCAs.

An old F-86 module for an even older sim had just that type of thing years ago.

While I’m a fan of historical accuracy wrt aircraft modules, we don’t have a Korea map either :)

Definitley an interesting idea, got my wheels turning :D

".....and upcoming F-4E,..."

Nope, on hold for a while while ED pumps out four other modules. And actually, per Wags, it never says it will be after those four, he made it clear that ED wants to put out other modules to clean their plates before moving on to other BST/ED projects.

Now, if the Sabre jet gets an update why not go for the long wing F-40 with wing slats? Or a late Fury, like the -4 or -4B? Sure would loves me some tube jet carrier ops!

I’d like that, but I’d also like an E model. While I think the -30 F model was a good all around choice (dual pylons = mud moving without having to leave drops behind) for DCS, the single pylon, slatted E model is the classic Sabre, imo.

• 1 month later...

Yup, a dream for sure. Slats.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse