IS it Possible to Slave Maverick to TGP SPI?

Alphamale

China Hat Forward Long - Default Key Binding "V"

Slave All to SPI – Upon command, all active sensors will track the current SPI. If a slaved sensor can no longer track the SPI, it will either track the last known position or return to boresight. This can happen if the SPI source is changed or a SPI tagged TAD symbol is changed. However, a sensor can be set individually to track a different target/object but the remaining sensors will maintain track on the SPI.

Then TMS forward short to "lock on".

Edited by Squirrel

But will I get a shooting cue when in range from the TGP page? So, let's say there's a SAM out there that is too far off for me to slew the Maverick sensor over and get a lock. But with the superior optics of the TGP, I find the SAM, identify it and lock it with Point Track. Now I make the lock a SPI by TMS Up Long. DO I now go to the Maverick page and "Slew ALL to SPI" or do I stay on TGP and "Slew ALL to SPI", then bring up the MAV page? The cross hairs of the MAV page may not even show a lock at this time due to distance, but will it lock automatically when I get in range and will I get a shooting cue when also in range?

Guest Fury_007

The Maverick will not Automatically lock when you get within its seeker range. You have to TMS forward short to get the seeker to lock as Squirrel said above. I find myself hitting it repeatedly over and over as soon as the MAV seeker is within range because I want to get the heck out of there before the SAM locks me up.

Best way to fire them:

1) Find target with TGP

2) Set as SPI

3) Slave all sensors to SPI

4) Wait for MAV seeker to get in range

5) lock on with MAV

6) RIFLE!

7) find another target or egress

Nope, it doesn't work. I just tried it in a training mission. I locked up the tank at distance with TGP using P-T mode. I then made it SPI with TMS Up Long. I then used China Hat Forward Long, to slew all to SPI. I selected a MAV station, went to MAV page and it looked like the hairs were exactly on the tank but never got a launch cue. In fact, when I tried to launch, I got NO TRACK LAUNCH INHB message. The maverick should fire even if the P-T was not exactly on the tank, as a near miss would still kill it. I wonder if AREA track would allow the launch. Something's not right here.

When you've slewed the Mav seeker over the target you must set the Mav as SOI and TMS Up Short to aquire the lock. It might not happen immediately but if your SPI is accurate enough (with P T it is) it shoud lock at the 7 mile range at least. Also depends on the Maverick variant. D's tend to work best with their IR seeker.

The Maverick will not Automatically lock when you get within its seeker range. You have to TMS forward short to get the seeker to lock as Squirrel said above. I find myself hitting it repeatedly over and over as soon as the MAV seeker is within range because I want to get the heck out of there before the SAM locks me up.

Best way to fire them:

1) Find target with TGP

2) Set as SPI

3) Slave all sensors to SPI

4) Wait for MAV seeker to get in range

5) lock on with MAV

6) RIFLE!

7) find another target or egress

Yeah, the problem with this is that there's no notification as to when #4 happens. With advanced avionics like this there should be, especially since you have selected a MAV profile. The system should auto=lock on either the AREA Track or POINT-Track of the TGP, when the mav is in range of lock. I think other jet avionics have this capability.

You need to lock the maverick once it is over target with TMS forward short. You can tell it's locked when the targeting lines start to shiver a bit.

Yeah, but the problem here is that theMav seeker does not have a zoom on it like the TGP, so even with a MAV lock at distance, I can't tell if I have the SAM locked or the building next to it. Suppose there's a tank AND a SAM sitting next to each other. I've identified and locked the SAM with TGP. But what's to prevent the MAV seeker from locking the tank when in MAV page and SOI?

Edited by Alphamale

Yeah, the problem with this is that there's no notification as to when #4 happens.

Yes there is, the range staple is right there on the left hand side of the MFCD MAV page.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

If you have your target on the TGP in PT mode, you can pretty much garantee that the mav will be looking at that.

Mav to SOI

TMS Up Short

Fire.

Thats all there is too it.

If you want to hit more targets, I suggest setting your slew rate 2 on the mav, and before the attack, work out the approxmate position of you next target using the TGP. When you fire your first mav, slew in the direction of your next target to lock. Knowing your target area is essential to a good attack.

Yes the mav seeker head isn't that great but it's not designed to be a reconaisance device.

Read my post.

Mav must be Sensor of Interest. TMS Up Short to aquire lock. Fury missed a stage out.

With multiple targets close together, how do you know the intended target is locked from beyond visible range. As I pointed out, there is no zoom on the Maverick seeker like there is on the TGP. With the latter, I can easily see the difference between the targets from a much longer range.

I pointed out, there is no zoom on the Maverick seeker like there is on the TGP.

Yes there is, China hat forward short. Although only the IR Mavs have a significant magnifcation.

And PS. Welcome to real world limitations, if there are lots of vehicles close to each other there is no guarantee whatsoever that you'll hit the intended target. Hell, there is no guarantee you'll hot your intended target even if it's the only thing for miles.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

With a PT track from the TGP, the Mav is very accurate at picking out the correct target. But theres always a chance you could hit the wrong one due to terrain or if its a moving target etc.

If its a SAM site, do you really care? Fire and GTFO! Then if you dont hit it first time, come back and try again.

Yes there is, China hat forward short. Although only the IR Mavs have a significant magnifcation.

And PS. Welcome to real world limitations, if there are lots of vehicles close to each other there is no guarantee whatsoever that you'll hit the intended target. Hell, there is no guarantee you'll hot your intended target even if it's the only thing for miles.

Yes I understand the "fog of war" thingy. But this brings up another question. Are there not mavericks that can home in on a laser designated target such as you could do with the TGP? Why can't we have some of those? Hehe

Are there not mavericks that can home in on a laser designated target such as you could do with the TGP? Why can't we have some of those? Hehe

Yep, AGM-65E. Why don't we have them, simples, the USAF didn't authorise ED to include them.

Spoiler

No, I mean beyond Narrow Field. With the TGP, I have three levels of mag. The Wide view, Narrow view and then Zoom view. With the Mavs, you just have the first two. Being 55, my eysight is not that good. It's kinda hard to View the MFCD page from normal cockpit distance while in Mav SOI and see a particular dot as a SAM, even in Narrow View. If I try to zoom my in cockpit view, I lose control of the plan too easily.

If I try to zoom my in cockpit view, I lose control of the plan too easily.

The auto pilot is a wonderful thing ;)

Spoiler

I think you need to plan your attack a bit more carefully.

Get out to 15 miles from the target. Use the TGP in Narrow/Wide mode to find the target you want. At about 10 miles you should be able to use Track mode to get an accurate fix on the target. Set it as your SPI.

Set up your autopilot. Set it to path mode and arm it.

Slew your maverick to the SPI using china hat forward long

Roll in on the target, be at a decent hight, 10k is good. Set a slight descent, around 3 degrees. Set your autopilot on. This should hold the approach.

Set your mav as SOI and attempt to lock using TMS up short. When locked, rifle. Dont worry if you cant distinguish the target through the mav seeker head, its not designed for that.

RIFLE!

I think you need to plan your attack a bit more carefully.

Get out to 15 miles from the target. Use the TGP in Narrow/Wide mode to find the target you want. At about 10 miles you should be able to use Track mode to get an accurate fix on the target. Set it as your SPI.

Set up your autopilot. Set it to path mode and arm it.

Slew your maverick to the SPI using china hat forward long

Roll in on the target, be at a decent hight, 10k is good. Set a slight descent, around 3 degrees. Set your autopilot on. This should hold the approach.

Set your mav as SOI and attempt to lock using TMS up short. When locked, rifle. Dont worry if you cant distinguish the target through the mav seeker head, its not designed for that.

RIFLE!

Agreed. This sounds like the best course of action.

BTW, in other sims I could gain enough altitude to use a CCRP delivery and walk my way over the target for a pickle without regard to ANY ground air defense. What's the ceiling on this sim for something like a SA-15?

Higher than you can fly.

Well after looking it up, about 20k but that doesn't include its flight after its motor is burned out afaik. So I expect 30k ft.