Is the F-86 useless in DCS World?

Lordbaldur

Now that modding is back in play. Consider adding a bit more muzzle velocity to your M3 50 caliber rounds. Go into the scripts-database-weapons-shell_table.lua. and about 1/5 a page scroll down will land on the M2 and M20 50 cal rounds. Edit BOTH to 890 m/s muzzle velocity. Do this in Notepad++ or compatible editor. A recent update added 870 to the Apit but you want 890 on both. In the 1950s they weren't using crap WWII cartridges anymore, especially after encountering MiGs.

In the Sabre.lua, edit the effective range out to 2000 meters and the lifetime up to 10 for some quality rifle work from these weapons. The barrel warp is crazy too. You can edit the heat et al down by 75%

Now on the flight model side, I gripe about MiGs having cymax greater than 1 at v=0 which is impossible. If you mean Mach 0.15, then the matrix needs to show that. V=0 is lift coeff =0 no matter how you slice it. However, this is also true in the Sabre.lua! So even the Sabre is cheaty in this respect. The SFM has cymax at about 1.1 or so in both aircraft. Roll rates should still be a little more different even though they are in the right proportions with Sabre better than MiG.

Also note, dive kills are possible in the Sabre. I have locked 2 pursuing Migs into compressibilty dives at about 380 kts before popping the speed brake and pulling out. The MiGs have kept going.

G tolerance on the MiGs is a bit high too, you can cut that down to 0.20 g suit and max gs down to 5 or 6. 8 Gs in sustained high speed dog fights? I don't think so, not without a g suit. Diving away is actually a pretty good defense tactic after the updates. Be sure not to get low e when out numbered. You can with space but not when you can get snagged from behind.

Edited by Squiffy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

• 4 weeks later...