How to create "Mode 2" Function for HOTAS

Hi all,

I have seen people who have uploaded their key bindings for various aircraft (Thank you), I am having trouble figuring out how they use or made the lever on the joystick to act as a "mode 2"

Can someone explain how to add this function or create the "Mode 2"? I know that their are modifiers in the keybindings but I don't see anything for the lever

Thanks,

Moki

WARTHOG_AV8B-NA_low.thumb.jpg.2c579bb6aea0c7df707a457e78677c46.jpg

In TARGET select the Advanced option when first creating a profile. After adding the controllers you will have an option to change the control modifiers. There you can set the buttons for In and Out modifier, as we as the Upper, Middle and Lower layers.

EDIT. It is called "Edit Layers" and it in the Assign Parameters window, upper right hand corner.

Edited by AKA_Clutter

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

How to create "Mode 2" Function for HOTAS

If you use Target it’s better to set modifier key or layer there rather than in DCS for more flexibility—DCS setting can’t take advantage of short vs long press, toggle sequence, or macro/chain input.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

If you use target script editor, you can set it up like this:

SetShiftButton(&Joystick, S4, &Throttle, BSF, BSB);// Pinky paddle as shift + Boat switch activates layers (mode1, mode2, mode3 as you call it)

Examples how to setup buttons (different output when different mode/layer selected):

example1

MapKeyUMD(&Joystick, S4, 'u', 'm', 'd'); //when pressing the S4 button, if layer UMD master switch (boat switch on right throttle) is Up, generates a “u”, if middle generates an “m” and if Down, generates a “d"

example2 - using layers (using boat swtch) + submodes (using s4 as shift button) - I means "IN" as shift pressed, O means "out" as shift not pressed

MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, S4, KP1, KP2, KP3, KP4, KP5, KP6);

This one is clearly not easy to read, but we can change the way we display it.

MapKeyIOUMD(&Joystick, S3,

KP1, // BSF button, if shift button In generate Keypad 1

KP2, //BSF, if shift button Out generate Keypad 2

KP3, // BSM, if shift button In generate Keypad 3

KP4, // BSM, if shift button Out generate Keypad 4

KP5, //BSB, if shift button In, generate Keypad 5

KP6); //BSB, if shift button Out, generate Keypad 6

I know its a lot, but ask if you need any more help

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Thank you all for the input. I got plenty of work to do on figuring and practicing using the TARGET software. I typically have been inputting the controls in DCS manually. I am sure its a very rookie mistake

Don't hesitate to ask questions. There is an utility that helps convert the keyboard.html to a TRAGET Macro file. It id "DCS_TARGET_Macro_File_Generator". It is pretty good and easy to use. You still have to setup your profile, but it helps. Or at least I like it.

DCS TRAGET Macro FIle Generator :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1730806/

Edited by AKA_Clutter

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.