Buying new VR headset, Pimax 5k+ or HP Reverb

bies

Hi, i would like to try VR for the first time.

I would like to buy Pimax 5k+ or HP Reverb to play DCS and IL-2 since this two headsets are being recomended by other guys. Is it a good choice? Are there some guys having/trying both of them? Which one should be better for DCS?

I know Pimax has bigger FoV when Reverb - better image clarity.

What about performance of both in DCS, is Pimax playable with it's paralel projection for canted displays? I have bought 9900k and 2080ti.

cheers

Hi, i would like to try VR for the first time.

I would like to buy Pimax 5k+ or HP Reverb to play DCS and IL-2 since this two headsets are being recomended by other guys. Is it a good choice? Are there some guys having/trying both of them? Which one should be better for DCS?

I know Pimax has bigger FoV when Reverb - better image clarity.

What about performance of both in DCS, is Pimax playable with it's paralel projection for canted displays? I have bought 9900k and 2080ti.

cheers

Pimax in current state is much worse FPS-wise than Reverb. And Reverb is more clear. Pimax clearly wins the FoV battle.

I have both. And Pimax 5K+ hasn't seen the light of day since I got the Reverb.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

My experience with the Pimax is not good. I have top end specs and can't get it to look as good as my CV1 without it being a stuttering mess. If you fall in to the average IPD category get the Reverb.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I would not discount the Rift S, especially for first time VR buyer.

It is a nice kit and works quite well, without much fussing about with it. Very easy to get set up and running. Nice image clarity and good performance.

I have been using mine daily since getting it at release little over a month ago.

It's main shortcoming IMHO is the audio strap. I like good audio and to me the strap does not fit in that category, so I got a set of Klipsch Earbuds, plugged them into the Rift S audio jack, and my audio is fantastic. I actually prefer earbuds myself. Also can get headphones, would just need to make sure they will fit over the Halo strap of the Rift S with no problem.

Or if audio is not that big a deal for you, then the strap would likely be fine.

Some good reports on the Reverb, however it has some issues that may be hardware related. I am considering getting one just for flight simming, but will wait and see how things shake out with it and see if there is a hardware change.

Index there would be quite a wait for, and also with the tracking system with the Lighthouse is rather pricey.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thank you all for your answers. In a week first customers should receive their Valve Indexes so i'll wait for first reviews, idk why but many people expect a lot from this headset. We will see.

My experience with the Pimax is not good. I have top end specs and can't get it to look as good as my CV1 without it being a stuttering mess. If you fall in to the average IPD category get the Reverb.

Can you be more specific ?

I have the CV1 and looking forward to buying the P5k+. So the P5k+ isn't as clear as the cv1 ? Screen door effect ? Fps ?

I'm in same boat. I love what I'm reading about the Reverb. Higher resolution is what I want. I'm not even just talking about in cockpit, I'm talking about outside the cockpit.

I am running 9700k OC to 5.0 and a 1080ti. I get 80 fps with Odyssey at 200% and Rift S similar. I returned the Rift S though as the clarity outside the cockpit is just not that great to me.

My biggest concern is IPD, I have 58 ( I think Wags said he was 59).

So the options are Pimax 5K+ where I can adjust the IPD and get the better FOV - or - HP Reverb with the better resolution.

One factor with Pimax 5k though is I'm going to not only need to buy a VR unit but I'll need to get a sensor and controllers, so that is extra $$ . (they have a bad model imo, everyone else includes this ???).

Leaning toward the Reverb - better cost, better resolution... and hoping the IPD isn't a big factor...

I am running 9700k OC to 5.0 and a 1080ti. I get 80 fps with Odyssey at 200% and Rift S similar. I returned the Rift S though as the clarity outside the cockpit is just not that great to me.

80 fps? What are your graphics settings for the game? I have a very similar hardware setup (except CPU), just curious if the CPU is holding me back by 30 fps.

Thanks,

Sorta

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

80 fps? What are your graphics settings for the game? I have a very similar hardware setup (except CPU), just curious if the CPU is holding me back by 30 fps.

Thanks,

Sorta

CPU is huge with VR and DCS

I'll take a screenshot of my settings

One factor with Pimax 5k though is I'm going to not only need to buy a VR unit but I'll need to get a sensor and controllers, so that is extra $$ . (they have a bad model imo, everyone else includes this ???).

In fairness, they use Lighthouse sensors. Valve tied their hands.

In fairness, they use Lighthouse sensors. Valve tied their hands.

And it *is* the best tracking mechanism. Always was. WMR is good enough for flight sim'ing, but if you're thinking of interacting with the entire room, it's a better way to go (the lighthouse route)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1