Tgp and atflir

Flightsimnerd

this is also not true. It can be mounted on the cheek stations and wing pylons. Wags even said this capability is coming.

Jeez there's a lot of mis-information about this.

You're right after 10 years in the Navy as an AT I know jack about FLIR pods.

The USN never used the Lightening POD while I was in. NEVER. The USMC would use the Lightening on the centerline on the beach only. While I was in we had two different FLIR pods. One was the FLIR pod which would not laser designate by itself and required the LTD pod which would be used on station 6. The ATFLIR came right at the end of my time in the Navy and could self designate.

You're right after 10 years in the Navy as an AT I know jack about FLIR pods.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3783293&postcount=174

Realy seems to depend on who you ask. By the comments of yourselves, or others observers from a sister service ( USN), along with most publicly available photos would appear It was seldom , if at all used on a cheek station ( yes centerline was the most commonly noticed by observers) , but an adapter to mount on the cheek station did exist for the USMC meaning the capability was there.

Northrop%2BGrumman%2Bto%2BContinue%2BLogistics%2BSupport%2Bfor%2BRAAF%2BFA-18%2BAdvanced%2BTargeting%2BSystems%2B1.jpg

But LEXTalonis ( who is a former USMC Hornet pilot) states he flew with the Lightening mounted on cheek station.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3743218&postcount=57

Ultimately based on what wags said, Lightening will debut being only mountable on Centerline pylon at first, and eventually at some point the Cheek adapter will be added to allow the ability to mount LPOD on the cheek station.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Realy seems to depend on who you ask. By the comments of yourselves, or others observers from a sister service ( USN), along with most publicly available photos would appear It was seldom , if at all used on a cheek station ( yes centerline was the most commonly noticed by observers) , but an adapter to mount on the cheek station did exist for the USMC meaning the capability was there.

Northrop%2BGrumman%2Bto%2BContinue%2BLogistics%2BSupport%2Bfor%2BRAAF%2BFA-18%2BAdvanced%2BTargeting%2BSystems%2B1.jpg

But LEXTalonis ( who is a former USMC Hornet pilot) states he only flew with the Lightening mounted on cheek station.

Ultimately based on what wags said, Lightening will debut being only mountable on Centerline pylon at first, and eventually at some point the Cheek adapter will be added to allow the ability to mount LPOD on the cheek station.

My mistake for generically responding with "Lpod", i should have responded with just "pod" (it has turned into something like calling all soft drinks "coke" in my world) ... marine hornets during the majority of my time in the fleet only had the AT. And it was only used on the cheek.

Bonus context : the Harrier was the first marine asset to receive the lpod. Marine hornet deltas were the only hornet to get a pod at first.

FAC-A was a job closely tied to the implementation of the pod on the hornet for which only two seat hornets would have. It was a WSO qual under the banner of share load tasking (the pilot is still the only individual that ever delivers any ordinance however). Whats more the hornet serving as the FAC-A could not be the delivering aircraft as well for checks and balances. Things have changed over the years. Find us on discord to correctly understand how pods were integrated into marine aviation ...

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

But LEXTalonis ( who is a former USMC Hornet pilot) states he flew with the Lightening mounted on cheek station.

Than I stand corrected and do apologize. Looks like that is on an alpha or bravo hornet.

Lpod never on a cheek. I mis "spoke". Explained on response #29

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3930032&postcount=156

"As noted earlier, the Litening targeting pod went into internal test at the of this month and we are currently on track to release it to you in June. We still first release on station 5, but later add option for the cheek station."

Apparently ED feel otherwise.

I simply think many gave them benefit of the doubt ( especially considering there are photos of Hornets with Lpod on the cheek) considering that many assumed ED decided to do so due to referring appropriate data and consulting with thier subject matter experts.

In such case if you ascertain this is in fact to be unrealisitc mounting for usmc hornets, than I think that needs to rectified by contacting someone representing ED like Wags, considering this is supposed to be representative of a circa 2005 usn/usmc hornet and not a mish mash of features used by foreign hornet operators.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

That's the NiteHawk FLIR pod, the predecessor to the ATFLIR.

It was always on station 4, the left cheek. I worked on the Nighthawk pod and as far as I know it was never mounted any any other station. In fact the only way it would be possible would be to replace the pod aft section which is pretty much the chassis of the whole pod. The ATFLIR came after I got out of the navy, but from what I have seen of it, it looks to have the same form factor and would likely only go on station 4.

I know nothing about the LITENING pod other than that I never saw it on the carrier, or the beach for that matter.

EDIT: I take back that about the ATFLIR, after looking closer, it looks like that might be an adapter between the cheek station and the pod itself.

If you compare these two images, the first being the ATFLIR, you can see how they differ, the interface between the airframe and the pod is all one piece on the NiteHawk. It looks like they could be separate on the ATFLIR.

atflir1.jpg

AAS-38A.jpg

Edited by Rennes

I absolutely doubt next week. Hope we´ll get it in July!

Why the doubt about next week? :) It seems that if they feel optimistic about releasing by the end of the month and the feature is testing well in their internal builds, I don't see any reason why it can't make next week. I wonder if the doubt is being brought on by recent OB updates bringing in anticipated features/optimizations later than planned?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Exactly, espacially there is no Vid or pictures in the Hornet Updates

The Tpod has been seen in multiple videos now mounted underneath the Hornet. The only thing we haven't seen is a lesson video on its operation yet which usually gets posted within 48 hours before release.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Litening pod mounts on the centerline. Every time you do a cat shot the grease accumaltes on the belly. You should see the underside of a drop tank after 14 days. A litening pod would be useless.

There's no grease in DCS! :megalol:

Windows 10 Pro x64 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 8700K @ 5.0GHz (Cooled by H150i Pro), 32GB DDR4 @3200, Asus Maximus X, TM Warthog with F-18 stick, TPR Rudder, Oculus Rift S

The Tpod has been seen in multiple videos now mounted underneath the Hornet. The only thing we haven't seen is a lesson video on its operation yet which usually gets posted within 48 hours before release.

But Not a single picture of the screens in the Hornet. July Is ok if we get a good TGP

It's been quiet on this front. I wonder if there will be an OB this week anyway to possibly introduce it? Sounds like the public version is on the table for tomorrow.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

There have been so many delays, and off patch days I honestly have no clue what the schedule cycle is anymore. Im like 80% sure this week is an OB week. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed for a tgp tutorial Tuesday from Wags. Otherwise its another few OBs away it would seem