Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

• ED Team

Hey everyone,

Oculus was kind enough to send us a couple Rift S kits to ensure best performance in DCS World. Based on the previews I've been reading from GDC, I was expecting more of a lateral quality move, with added inside-out tracking. However, compared to the Rift, I'm seeing a significantly higher resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I'm very impressed with the DCS World experience in the Rift S. Inside-out tracking has been flawless for me, and Rift S setup could not be easier. If you are a Rift owner, I'd certainly suggest taking a very hard look at the Rift S; I find the experience considerably better.

Oculus has not asked me to write this, nor compensated in any way. I'm just a bit giddy after just flying with it.

Also, I’m sure you’re asking: where is the VR performance boost!? It’s coming. The VR optimization of the Caucasus map is done, and now the team is optimizing the other maps for improved VR performance. Once done and tested, we’ll release this in a future Open Beta.

I'm starting a new sticky for this impressive device.

Thanks

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Wags! appreciate the Rift S feedback, and the VR update!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks Wags!

Oh man, now I’m not sure between Reverb and Rift S! I had my mind made up until now...

Do the new touch controllers work in game? I understand that WMR controllers don’t, and I’ve gotten very used to using touch controllers to manipulate switches...

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I think I'm more excited that Oculus knows about DCS. Good news though.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Thank you for this quick note. Does the lower refresh rate affect anything? I’m looking to get into VR and this looks fairly cheap and decent for someone like me with an older computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, Vega64 @1080p

• ED Team
Thanks Wags!

Oh man, now I’m not sure between Reverb and Rift S! I had my mind made up until now...

Do the new touch controllers work in game? I understand that WMR controllers don’t, and I’ve gotten very used to using touch controllers to manipulate switches...

Reverb looks great too, but curious to see performance with those panels.

Thanks

• ED Team
Thank you for this quick note. Does the lower refresh rate affect anything? I’m looking to get into VR and this looks fairly cheap and decent for someone like me with an older computer.

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, Vega64 @1080p

I see no difference.

Thanks

Many thanks Wags!

What about the SDE? Compared with Samsung O+.

Hope the VR optimization coming soooooooon!

13700k @5.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 4000MHz CL14 | ASUS Z690 TUF  | GIGABYTE RTX4090 Gaming OC | Samsung 970PRO 512G + 980PRO 2T

GIGABYTE M32U | HP Reverb G2

Warthog HOTAS | TPR | JetSeat | TrackIR5

Windows 11

Thanks Wags. Sounds better than initial responses of the S. I know a lot of folks are anticipating the reverb but I'm not sure even a top of the line PC is going to be able to push those panels to desired performance. Especially without Fov rendering.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I think I'm more excited that Oculus knows about DCS. Good news though.

Indeed! Great news. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Now we need to figure out a way for Valve to send you an Index.....

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC @ 4.2GHz) | MSI B450 Tomahawk | 32GB G. Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3200 | MSI Duke RTX 2080ti | 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Track IR 5 | HP Reverb | TM Warthog HOTAS (with Delta Sim Slew Mod) | TM F/A 18 Stick | TM TPR Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | Jetseat FSE | Windows 10 Pro

DCS Modules: CA | FC3 | F-86 | UH-1 | Spitfire | P-51D | BF 109K-4 | F-5E | F-14 | F/A-18C | Normandy | Nevada | Persian Gulf

Thanks Wags for your post! Im also in the market for upgrading my old rift cv1. It would be pure gold if you could review and compare the other devices, including valve's index and the reverb. There are videos and reviews out there, but all I care about is how they perform and feel in DCS. Maybe ED could get their dev's to send you a test headset and you could give us a recommendation for purchase:)

Thanks for the update.

I’ve got to ask, if the Caucasus map VR change is ready first, could that be released in advance of the other maps?

Just to be clear, I did read the part about testing still being required, so I’m not expecting it for a few more weeks at best.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

@Wags: could you please let us know what is your perception for black levels with Rift S?

There are a lot of comments on the internet complaining about the LCD implementation which lacks in black levels compared with OLED display. However while this might be true, I am still wondering if this is really visible within DCS environment.

Thank you

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

@Wags: could you please let us know what is your perception for black levels with Rift S? ... I am still wondering if this is really visible within DCS environment.

This comparison should hopefully be done with my sRGB gamma fix, as otherwise the black levels will be elevated: http://www.kegetys.fi/srgb-gamma-fix-for-dcs-world/

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

Hey everyone,

Oculus was kind enough to send us a couple Rift S kits to ensure best performance in DCS World. Based on the previews I've been reading from GDC, I was expecting more of a lateral quality move, with added inside-out tracking. However, compared to the Rift, I'm seeing a significantly higher resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I'm very impressed with the DCS World experience in the Rift S. Inside-out tracking has been flawless for me, and Rift S setup could not be easier. If you are a Rift owner, I'd certainly suggest taking a very hard look at the Rift S; I find the experience considerably better.

Oculus has not asked me to write this, nor compensated in any way. I'm just a bit giddy after just flying with it.

Also, I’m sure you’re asking: where is the VR performance boost!? It’s coming. The VR optimization of the Caucasus map is done, and now the team is optimizing the other maps for improved VR performance. Once done and tested, we’ll release this in a future Open Beta.

Thanks

Dear Matt,

I am concerned about the LCD display instead of the OLED that we have from the rift. Especialy black color (night flying) is not as black as in the rift. Very curious about the answer. Thank you. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Thanks for this along with the update on VR optimization, really looking forward to when that gets done.

I was set on going for the Valve Index , might consider the Rift S a little more now will see. Heck I may end up getting both in the end lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

uhhh, that sounds really awesome.. i need to see how street prices will settle but i might be sold already :)

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

I'm seeing a significantly higher resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as well as spotting units outside the cockpit.

Does this not highlight why people are irritated by the DCS spotting system when that same improvement in readability and visual fidelity is at the cost of making it *even harder* to spot enemy aircraft?

The two are at odds at the moment, and it hampers people's desires of upgrading if it just becomes a handicap.

Hey everyone,

Thanks

Hello Wags,

great to hear about that.

Are you and the Team aware of the theoretical possibility to use the Rift S cameras for native Hand Tracking?

John Carmack tweeted about this some month ago and suggested that this may be a feature, that could be added to the SDK at a later point.

DCS would be a natural fit for Hand Tracking, as the tracking precision requirements are somewhat lower when just flipping switches compared to a fast past VR action game...

Just wanted to make sure, you are aware of this...