HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Looking inside my HMD, it says 1 year warranty too. Oh well.

IMG-0943.jpg

Hmm. Just looked at my sticker and it says two years, not three. I guess the "enhanced warranty" I paid for in buying the Pro just means expedited replacement, rather than time extensions.

Any headset sold in Europe will have a two year warranty by statute.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I'm seeing some stock at BLTShop, but not sure if it is the second "corrected" batch. 4 units in stock. Not very many yet. More due in around the 8th. I think I'm going to wait for HP to list them, though, in case it isnt the right headset for me and I need to return it. Hoping that new stock will filter out so we can get updates on the corrected headset. A lot of positive reviews despite the growing pains

Sounds like the ideal headset for DCS VR.

Edited by msgreene77

Intel i7 8700K / ASRock Pro 4 / 32 Gb Patriot Viper 3200mhz DDR4 / Founders Edition RTX2080 / 250 Gb Westgate SSD for OS / 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD / Win 10 - 64bit / HP Reverb / VKB Combat Stick & Thrustmaster WarthogThrottle / MFG Crosswinds Pedals / 32 Input Button Box / Saitek Throttle Quadrant

I bought from ShopBLT so no refund unless there is a warranty claim within 30 days. I don't plan on refunding but its curious that mine is only good for 13 months direct from HP.

What product number or name did you use? My search didn't bring anything up.

EDIT: Just saw the picture. It's printed on the HMD. I'll go look.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm seeing some stock at BLTShop, but not sure if it is the second "corrected" batch. 4 units in stock. Not very many yet. More due in around the 8th. I think I'm going to wait for HP to list them, though, in case it isnt the right headset for me and I need to return it. Hoping that new stock will filter out so we can get updates on the corrected headset. A lot of positive reviews despite the growing pains

Sounds like the ideal headset for DCS VR.

I bought mine form ShopBLT last week and got the new cable clip so Im sure these are the second batch and this one has zero issues so far. No flickering and no screen dimming after many hours of use. I'm also using the USB port from my motherboard.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Ok after much testing, I think I found the best settings for me to stop the jittering when looking out the sides to the cockpit. With WMR reprojection on, I found with my graphics settings, DCS is very smooth if I can maintain close to 13 - 20ms of GPU frametime and keep CPU frame time at or below 23ms. I tried 100% Steam SS and 1.0 DCS PD and I would constantly hit 20ms or higher on GPU frametime and the CPU frametime will go nuts if I had more planes and vehicles to 50 - 250ms. This was completely unplayable even with very low graphics settings. Once I moved SteamVR SS to 20% fixed into manual mode and DCS set to 2.0 - 2.5 PD, the graphics look just as good as 100% SS and 1.0 DCS PD but I can now maintain 13 - 18ms on GPU frametime and 20 - 23ms CPU frametime with a lot more vehicles on the map. The Reverb run almost as smooth as my Index now.

Conclusion is even with low GPU frametime, if the CPU frametime gets too high, it too will cause jittery scenes as well so the trick is to keep both of them down. fpsVR is a essential tool to test your system. FYI - fpsVR does not work with a rift s I believe.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I bought mine form ShopBLT last week and got the new cable clip so Im sure these are the second batch and this one has zero issues so far. No flickering and no screen dimming after many hours of use. I'm also using the USB port from my motherboard.

Thanks for the reply. Any chance for a photo of the clip/cable? I'm curious to see how it differs from the previous model.

Intel i7 8700K / ASRock Pro 4 / 32 Gb Patriot Viper 3200mhz DDR4 / Founders Edition RTX2080 / 250 Gb Westgate SSD for OS / 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD / Win 10 - 64bit / HP Reverb / VKB Combat Stick & Thrustmaster WarthogThrottle / MFG Crosswinds Pedals / 32 Input Button Box / Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Thanks for the reply. Any chance for a photo of the clip/cable? I'm curious to see how it differs from the previous model.

IMG-0935.jpg

How is the heat ?

If I don't run a fan my unit gets really hot.

Also, are the actual cables the same ?

From what I saw the only fix was some sort of clip you put over the connector ?

HP support did not have the Reverb as part of their consumer division. It took the customer service rep a few minutes to figure out the Reverb is part of their commercial division before he found their phone number to transferred me to their customer support.

Post that phone number here, we can all give them a call and let them know what we think.... :)

Only my Pro model had three years. The Best Buy Consumer model is one year. I gather from the HP tech rep that they did that for the first batch of Pro's direct from HP for early adopters. It seems like they anticipated problems.

It's very rare that the consumer version would get 3 years and the pro model only one year. In the US very few products have a manufacturer warranty more than one year any way. At least that's how it is with most electronics. In Europe it's bit different.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Only my Pro model had three years. The Best Buy Consumer model is one year. I gather from the HP tech rep that they did that for the first batch of Pro's direct from HP for early adopters. It seems like they anticipated problems.

My question would be - if they are shipping updated 'fixed' units, has anyone tried contacting them to see if they would replace the older units ?

I was told beyond the return period it becomes a warranty repair. I was also told that may mean a complete replacement but the unit may be refurbished at that point. I don't have a problem with that as long as there are no scratches on the lenses.

Post that phone number here, we can all give them a call and let them know what we think.... :)

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

That's pretty crappy on their part. If you have an older model with them now knowing it had issues, I feel like they should replace them. But I think they want to avoid a recall.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

It says when I got the one from Best Buy they were only online for 30 minutes before being sold out. As I suspected there were other issues besides just the cable issue. That update is from July 30th and they are just talking about the dimming issue? I see now why they are talking about a V2. The entire unit will likely need to be reworked.

HP Reverb Still ‘Sold Out’ as Reports of Display Issues Continue

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-release-date-delay-slip-out-of-stock/

"Update (July 30th, 2019): HP had expected that new stock of the Pro and Consumer Edition Reverb headset would be available in July, though it appears that only a very limited number of headsets became available for sale. Users over at the WindowsVR subreddit spotted some stock at Best Buy earlier this month but said it was gone within 30 minutes. Presently the headset remains ‘sold out’ at HP.com, Amazon, and Best Buy, with no estimates for stock replenishment.

A spokesperson for HP tells Road to VR that the company is still working on the shortage, but doesn’t have a firm timeline at present. HP maintains that the near unavailability of the headset is due to “incredibly high demand,” but a surprising number of user reported display issues, and a purported HP insider, tell a different story.

Throughout July reports of display issues have continued, similar to those seen in June. A user on Reddit who claims to work for HP and be directly involved with Reverb said at the end of June that the company is actively testing returned headsets in an effort uncover the display issues.

At present we are capturing DOA units to get an handle on all the symptoms reported and we’re plowing through any stock we have here to see if we can repro what is being seen. (I’m testing units at my desk as we speak.)

Luckily, we found on[e] in the office that was having the dimmed LCD issue so we have a bit of a head start.

The fixes will be implemented as soon as we discover what is driving them. (The ‘cable issue’ is the easy one had has been fixed already.)

We hope to hear from HP when they have fully solved Reverb’s issues and the headset becomes readily available for purchase."

That's pretty crappy on their part. If you have an older model with them now knowing it had issues, I feel like they should replace them. But I think they want to avoid a recall.

Edited by Secoda

It says when I got the one from Best Buy they were only online for 30 minutes before being sold out.

HP Reverb Still ‘Sold Out’ as Reports of Display Issues Continue

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-release-date-delay-slip-out-of-stock/

"Update (July 30th, 2019): HP had expected that new stock of the Pro and Consumer Edition Reverb headset would be available in July, though it appears that only a very limited number of headsets became available for sale. Users over at the WindowsVR subreddit spotted some stock at Best Buy earlier this month but said it was gone within 30 minutes. Presently the headset remains ‘sold out’ at HP.com, Amazon, and Best Buy, with no estimates for stock replenishment.

A spokesperson for HP tells Road to VR that the company is still working on the shortage, but doesn’t have a firm timeline at present. HP maintains that the near unavailability of the headset is due to “incredibly high demand,” but a surprising number of user reported display issues, and a purported HP insider, tell a different story.

Throughout July reports of display issues have continued, similar to those seen in June. A user on Reddit who claims to work for HP and be directly involved with Reverb said at the end of June that the company is actively testing returned headsets in an effort uncover the display issues.

At present we are capturing DOA units to get an handle on all the symptoms reported and we’re plowing through any stock we have here to see if we can repro what is being seen. (I’m testing units at my desk as we speak.)

Luckily, we found on[e] in the office that was having the dimmed LCD issue so we have a bit of a head start.

The fixes will be implemented as soon as we discover what is driving them. (The ‘cable issue’ is the easy one had has been fixed already.)

We hope to hear from HP when they have fully solved Reverb’s issues and the headset becomes readily available for purchase."

Yea that sounds like more than just a cable design issue. Seems like it wasn't really ready for prime time yet. Oh well, it will most likely be a long time before I'll be able to have one.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

LOL see post $#2656

Well - I have one but if I want a full refund I have to return it by about the end of the third week in August plus a few days to Best Buy. What is sad is the reputation that has developed now has many being returned that may not have anything wrong with them. HP has to be under some pressure to make some amends on the policy side until their product gets reliable. :smilewink:

I am guessing it is getting time for the "See You In September" lyrics on the fixed Reverb. Could it take them six months to straighten this out? :pilotfly:

Yea that sounds like more than just a cable design issue. Seems like it wasn't really ready for prime time yet. Oh well, it will most likely be a long time before I'll be able to have one.

Edited by Secoda

How is the heat ?

If I don't run a fan my unit gets really hot.

Also, are the actual cables the same ?

From what I saw the only fix was some sort of clip you put over the connector ?

The cable looks the same but may not be as stiff on the double cable but not sure. Yep only a connector clip to keep it for disconnecting so doing the cable Mod is no longer necessary. It felt moderate after 10 minutes being on but I use a fan for it to make sure it doesn't overheat even once. My reasoning is if it overheats once, it may get damaged at that point so I do not want to risk it.

IMG-0935.jpg

Is the connector in the same place before, like a 8 inches or so from the left ear? That looks like a solid collection box now and not a plug in port like the OG version. I beg your pardon, but I dont own a Reverb yet, which is why I'm trying to understand the distinction between the refined version compared to OG.

I do appreciate your help.

Is the connector in the same place before, like a 8 inches or so from the left ear? That looks like a solid collection box now and not a plug in port like the OG version. I beg your pardon, but I dont own a Reverb yet, which is why I'm trying to understand the distinction between the refined version compared to OG.

That is just a clip that pops onto the connector, its kinda janky really. I still zip tied mine to the back to provide strain relief for the cable running into the headset.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think that just covers the connector to immobilize it. I did a similar thing with a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum and electrical tape. I have not had issues yet on this 2nd one but I just past twenty hours on this latest one which is when the first issue showed on the 1st one.

G5KxtMu.jpg

Edited by Secoda

It appears that Best Buy has delisted the HP Reverb. I just spoke to them and even though it isn't listed they do have a limited set of Gen 1 replacements in stock. With my 45 day return situation I am better off returning it and waiting for V2 it appears unless the 45 days starts over.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/virtual-reality-devices-and-games/virtual-reality-headsets-for-pc/pcmcat1476726957734.c?id=pcmcat1476726957734

It appears that Best Buy has delisted the HP Reverb. I just spoke to them and even though it isn't listed they do have a limited set of Gen 1 replacements in stock. With my 45 day return situation I am better off returning it and waiting for V2 it appears unless the 45 days starts over.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/virtual-reality-devices-and-games/virtual-reality-headsets-for-pc/pcmcat1476726957734.c?id=pcmcat1476726957734

I feel you. I keep debating buying from BLT now, but their return / teplacement policies don't sound very consumer friendly. I've been waiting for HP to restock some so I can be sure it is the revisited version. I'm biting the bit waiting. I'm anxious to see for myself what the clarity and design does for DCS. I cant stand more than an hour or so in my SO+ before it starts to hurt and I develop a headache. I will be glad when I can replace it. I've been following along in the thread as everyone has their own experiences with the HMD. I have to say I'm still very optimistic about this particular HMD. It just needs those basic fixes, warranty or no.

I called HP just to see what they would say.

I was told the warranty doesn't cover the unit - only "parts" - then I was told I would be better off to return it and get a newer one. Also was told they would only "send me a refurbished one"

Lol what a joke - glad my tape, fan, and cable ties are working...

I called HP just to see what they would say.

I was told the warranty doesn't cover the unit - only "parts" - then I was told I would be better off to return it and get a newer one. Also was told they would only "send me a refurbished one"

Lol what a joke - glad my tape, fan, and cable ties are working...

How can we distinguish what a "newer" headset is / looks like. How do we know if a retailer is selling a new or old version? And only parts? So if it starts crapping out we are stuck with paying shipping and labor for them to fix a defective item? Wow.

This is kind of what I meant. Some have good units and some dont. Doesnt give a consumer much confidence to purchase a product when support for it looks like this is starting to. From 3 year warranty to a 1 year that covers "parts."