Cockpit image clarity versus outside image clarity

gcompc

Hello All,

I've been reading VR posts forever and could not make a logical conclusion on one issue. I've been using the CV1 for a couple of years now and understand the lower resolution and its affects. Been thinking about the Rift S as next headset due to not wanting to upgrade machine (i7-7700k and GTX 1070).

The question I have concerns outside cockpit image clarity. I read where many people who have upgraded to the Rift S are very pleased with in cockpit clarity but most say no change in outside clarity as compared to Rift CV1. I'm not sure about the Reverb or Valve as everyone is very impressed about cockpit clarity but not many really mention in detail the level of clarity outside the cockpit. There are a few who make a comparison that basically state that is sort of underwhelming (for the Rift S at least) and not that much improvement.

My question is why would one not see an overall improvement to the same level both inside and outside the cockpit. This may be the case but I have not read all the details for different headsets. This will help with my decision for my future headset,

Thanks

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD

I see a difference as in I can see the ball as I pass the 90 whereas on my CV1 I don't really see it till the last 200 ft ish. I just think it's easier to see the in cockpit difference. I find it easier to see the targets aspect in a fight now. I don't need to go single circle all the time.to.make.sure I can see his aspect.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

It isn't just in the cockpit, it makes a difference in the clarity of visual contacts in dogfights.

The improvement is really very small, yet it is quite significant. That is to say, it still doesn't even come close to what a 1080p flat panel allows, but I am now willing to fly a lot more missions in VR rather than on the flat panel due to the ability to see better both inside and outside the cockpit.

Of course, about the same time I upgraded from the Rift to the Rift S I also went from a 1080p 46-in LCD TV to a 4K 49-inch LED TV. So I am still flying a lot of flat panel missions to enjoy the amazing 4K graphics.

If the hardware ever improves enough for VR to match flat panel quality, then I will fly 100% VR. Until then, I am going to continue enjoying the advantages of both as it suits me on any particular night.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Outside the cockpit clarity.... Of course Reverb has twice the resolution as the Rift, so everything you see outside is twice as clear.

You can see buildings better and from further away, aircraft look better, but the only practical thing you will see over Rift are the very fine details.

An aircraft at a couple of miles away in Rift may appear as a 4 pixel blob. The same aircraft in the Reverb will appear as an 8 pixel blob. Yes the shape is a little more fleshed out, but if something needs 80 pixels to properly define the larger shape detail for ID purposes, then clearly there is a long time and a lot of money to be spent before we see that.

I reckon I will be retired before then.

General terrain details are better low down, but the terrain itself, being a relatively low resolution construct is not much improved. At higher altitude the terrain looks sharper, but this is mainly due to much reduced screen door effect, rather than more visible detail.

One aspect of the Reverb that is clearly better than Rift is on night missions, you get very much reduced banding effects at sunset / sunrise and the night sky is absolutely rammed with hundreds of stars that are simply not visible in Rift.

As for blacks at night, in cockpit blacks are very much better than night time sky black because of the way the lighting engine paints the sky. It paints it black using colours that never really allow a good black to be observed, it is a kind of murky very dark grey, just the same as in Rift.

Hope this helps.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Thanks to all,

Got it!

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD