The Enterprise needs your help!!!!!!

Callsign

The Enterprise needs your help!!!!!!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. The Enterprise needs your help!!!!!!

• Save It!
    • Let it be scrapped!
    • The what now?

Isn't part of the material from it going to be used for either it's replacement, CVN-80, or one of the other Ford-class carriers?

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

Isn't part of the material from it going to be used for either it's replacement, CVN-80, or one of the other Ford-class carriers?

Even if that is true the Enterprise is a piece of history not some random ship no one's heard of like the Bon Homme Richard (CV-31)! It's the world's first nuclear carrier for duck-sake. It belongs in a museum or better sailing the seas with a full airwing alongside her Nimitz and Ford class sisters! Just imagine CVN-80 and CVN-65 sailing alongside each other both revolutionary ships! And the Kitty Hawk should be preserved too!

Edited by Callsign

Its upkeep could be quite high, with or without its nuclear plant. Who's paying for that?

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

I guess you could send a letter to your State Senator. I cant think of any other way to accomplish this. If the powers that be have decided to decommission the ship and use thee steel, probably nothing can be done. My buddy was part of the USS Carl Vinson battle group. I have a call into him to see if he has any connections.

I'm not a Navy Guy, but I'd imagine the World First Nuclear Powered Aircraft Carrier is probably also the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier to be scrapped.

I don't know how many reactors Big E had, but I'm sure that has a LOT to do with saving the thing as a museum. Besides, there's another Big E in the works.

Let it go.

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

I guess you could send a letter to your State Senator. I cant think of any other way to accomplish this. If the powers that be have decided to decommission the ship and use thee steel, probably nothing can be done. My buddy was part of the USS Carl Vinson battle group. I have a call into him to see if he has any connections.

He said State Senators are the best bet. He also said that there are so many museum ships now, and they cost so much money to keep up that its probably not going to happen. His ship was slated for a museum piece, It was the Adams Class Robinson, but the Navy pulled the plug on it due to funding and it was scrapped.

I'm not a Navy Guy, but I'd imagine the World First Nuclear Powered Aircraft Carrier is probably also the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier to be scrapped.

I don't know how many reactors Big E had, but I'm sure that has a LOT to do with saving the thing as a museum. Besides, there's another Big E in the works.

Let it go.

8 reactors. Really. I've been on it, hung out in the MMRs, sat around in EOSs (each of which have two reactor panels, which is unique).

There are valid technical reasons for not turning it into a museum. I'm going to miss her, too, but let her go. Maybe they can turn a Numbnutz class into a museum, but they won't let me go in my old playgrounds anyway.

With two exceptions every ship I set foot on in the Navy is either scrap metal, about to be scrap metal, or blown up, sunk, sitting on the bottom of the ocean scrap metal. The parts that survive are in trench 94 at Hanford.

The two exceptions are Cell Block 70, the Carl Vinson and one Ayatollah class frigate that serves with the Taiwanese Navy now.

As good as it is to preserve the world's first nuclear powered supercarrier, the reason to scrap the vessel is the risk posed by the reactors (those were 1st generation naval nuclear reactors after all).

But not all is lost as the Enterprises "island" will be preserved.