Steam vs Oculus updates

Svsmokey

So i've been agonising over Rift S vs Index . One factor is the Oculus software , which has been generally considered the standard . But Zuckerberg is pissing me off ! Forced updates , with no apparent ability to revert , and of no benefit to my headset or Windows version . Today i dealt with yet another update interrupting my DCS session ,waiting a half hour to update , troubleshooting the audio and the loss of the Oculus debug tool , finding the new file , and experiencing a degradation of performance when i did run the new version of Debug , in which the "disable adaptive graphics performance" doesn't seem to work .

So i have two questions :

Does Steam VR force updates ?

Can you revert if necessary ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

So i've been agonising over Rift S vs Index . One factor is the Oculus software , which has been generally considered the standard . But Zuckerberg is pissing me off ! Forced updates , with no apparent ability to revert , and of no benefit to my headset or Windows version . Today i dealt with yet another update interrupting my DCS session ,waiting a half hour to update , troubleshooting the audio and the loss of the Oculus debug tool , finding the new file , and experiencing a degradation of performance when i did run the new version of Debug , in which the "disable adaptive graphics performance" doesn't seem to work .

So i have two questions :

Does Steam VR force updates ?

Can you revert if necessary ?

Oculus has been doing it this way for quite some time, at least as long as I have had mine which I got in Jan 2017. Yes it would be nice to give an option to update rather than a forced update, guess they have their reasons behind this.

I have been real lucky though, never had an instance so far with an update messing up my Rift or Rift S <knocking on wood>.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Glad you are having good luck with your 2nd Rift S Don . I am frustrated because i had three days of glorious performance with my CV1 before another forced update broke the debug tool . An S would doubtless be kinder to my 1070 , but if Steam VR updates are not forced , or can be reverted , I'll be giving the Index a long look .

If i may ask , what are your impressions of the Rift S's build quality ? Another concern....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Glad you are having good luck with your 2nd Rift S Don . I am frustrated because i had three days of glorious performance with my CV1 before another forced update broke the debug tool . An S would doubtless be kinder to my 1070 , but if Steam VR updates are not forced , or can be reverted , I'll be giving the Index a long look .

If i may ask , what are your impressions of the Rift S's build quality ? Another concern....

Not as robust as Rift CV1- both headset and Touch controllers, but seems to be sufficient at least so far. I can not make a comparison with other brands as I have not owned any of them so far.

Have you tried a repair of the Oculus software to fix the debug tool issue?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not as robust as Rift CV1- both headset and Touch controllers, but seems to be sufficient at least so far. I can not make a comparison with other brands as I have not owned any of them so far.

Have you tried a repair of the Oculus software to fix the debug tool issue?

Hmmm...i have not . Thanks !

Thanks again , Don , for the suggestion . Repair hung up on the download , but a complete re-install worked . Performance is back :)

Thanks again , Don , for the suggestion . Repair hung up on the download , but a complete re-install worked . Performance is back :)

:thumbup:

Good deal!

Don B

Thanks , fingers crossed for ability to revert...