Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

With regards to the intermittent white noise/static that flashes on the Rift S, has anybody successfully rectified this yet, or are we still awaiting a fix from Oculus?

I think mine is getting worse which is worrying.

I think we are all "hoping" for a fix from Oculus.

Have not seen any official word on this.

In my case it is not often thank goodness.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, i got an software update today, it only states Version 1.38.1 without anything else in the update news. Anybody knows what they changed/improved/fixed?

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Hm, i got an software update today, it only states Version 1.38.1 without anything else in the update news. Anybody knows what they changed/improved/fixed?

No they did not publish the changes and have not seen anyone in the know mention them.

Update went fine for me with Rift S. There are several over on Oculus forums that it caused them to not have display, and they are having to do a repair of Oculus software.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Prior to 1.38.1, Microsoft wouldn't let my PC have the 1903 Windows 10 update due to an incompatibility identified with my system, but that it would be fixed later.

After the 1.38.1 update, Oculus Home reported that I should "update my USB driver" and linked to Windows Update, which then promptly approved my update to 1903 unlike before.

Coincidence? I think not.

I didn't notice any specific changes for the better or worse after the update. My mic still tends to drop out while playing or after exiting DCS World while running VAICOM. Oh well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, getting this thing to run srs and teamspeak through the audio and mic while running the game sounds through a different source is just a nightmare. Teamspeak came up and the visuals went bonkers. Worked perfect in CV1. The screens on the S are great but this headset is a disaster in every other way. Just about to send it back to Amazon.

Can anyone tell me how to enable the communications menus to show inside VR? I'm trying to use Vaicom Pro but don't know what to say half the time... it does the display what I say (when I say something recognisable) and the text of the response, but seeing the actual menus would be golden for my learning curve. Thanks in advance.

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin

Can anyone tell me how to enable the communications menus to show inside VR? I'm trying to use Vaicom Pro but don't know what to say half the time... it does the display what I say (when I say something recognisable) and the text of the response, but seeing the actual menus would be golden for my learning curve. Thanks in advance.

I believe that's in the settings for Viacom in voice attack. I'm the settings I believe there are tickets boxes for show menus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that's in the settings for Viacom in voice attack. I'm the settings I believe there are tickets boxes for show menus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, but have that checked, but the selection menu's don't appear, I think it is linked to the fact that the "" key does NOT function to bring them up when I am in VR (not that I'd want or be able to use it). I guess I was hoping my warthog PTT switch/hat would bring it up when I pressed it but can't work out how to.

Voiceattack Plugin

Just press and hold the HOTAS activation button for the VoiceAttack radio you want to use and say "Options". The standard communication menu will then show up. I think you may have to enable this somewhere in the VoiceAttack options.

Silly question, but do you have the communication menu key bound to something on your hotas?

No, i did check that but good question!

Just press and hold the HOTAS activation button for the VoiceAttack radio you want to use and say "Options". The standard communication menu will then show up. I think you may have to enable this somewhere in the VoiceAttack options.

Will give that a go when I'm next home, thanks

Voiceattack Plugin

Months of stalking and yesterday pulled the trigger on the rift s.

Blown away worked right out of the box, never chuckled so much with pure delight since I was 3

Obviously now need to start tinkering with settings but that’s what we do right ?

Very happy DCSer right here

Blown away worked right out of the box, never chuckled so much with pure delight since I was 3

Obviously now need to start tinkering with settings but that’s what we do right ?

:thumbup:

Welcome to the wonderful world of VR!

Don B

And it's true what they say...helos are the best in vr...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

And it's true what they say...helos are the best in vr...

THIS!

Absolutely amazing :joystick: :thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I've been following this thread for some time and I must admit, I'm convinced at this point that the rift s isn't the direction I want to go. I've never had VR but I want something I know is going to work. I don't want to spend more time troubleshooting than actually playing. I've seen some posts that say the CV1 is a good choice but I can only get a used one at this point. Any other recommendations?

ASUS Strix Z370-E, i7 8700k @ 5 GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 MHz, Corsair H100i, WD 1TB SSD

I've been following this thread for some time and I must admit, I'm convinced at this point that the rift s isn't the direction I want to go. I've never had VR but I want something I know is going to work. I don't want to spend more time troubleshooting than actually playing. I've seen some posts that say the CV1 is a good choice but I can only get a used one at this point. Any other recommendations?

I would say out of the current crop, the Rift S is the least problematic and easiest to get set up and going. I have been using mine every day for some time now.

Got it on release date.

I would also suggest getting from Amazon just in case, as it can easily be returned for replace or money back within 30 days.

Don B

You pays y're money and y're takes y'r choice. But I plugged in my Rift S and to borrow a quote from Jensen Huang: "It just works". I've not had most of the problems experienced by some others. One thing I have experienced which has not been 100% is very occasional white noise type screen flashes. But this does not happen very often. And the flash is gone as quick as it happened.

Is it perfect? No. It is good? Yes. How does it compare to the Index and Reverb, specifically in DCS? Currently, I don't know.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You pays y're money and y're takes y'r choice. But I plugged in my Rift S and to borrow a quote from Jensen Huang: "It just works". I've not had most of the problems experienced by some others. One thing I have experienced which has not been 100% is very occasional white noise type screen flashes. But this does not happen very often. And the flash is gone as quick as it happened.

Is it perfect? No. It is good? Yes. How does it compare to the Index and Reverb, specifically in DCS? Currently, I don't know.

I would say exactly the same...

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

I've seen some posts that say the CV1 is a good choice but I can only get a used one at this point. Any other recommendations?

I wouldn't get a CV1 now, especially a used one, unless you can try it first and it's really really cheap. The best bet would be to wait for the Index and others to come out get settled, then see what works best.

I have a feeling that the Rift S will still be near the top overall for DCS once the dust settles. I have the CV1 and for me it's soooooo close to being really good. The small increase in resolution with the Rift S sounds perfect to me.

The Valve Index sounds great but it's more than twice the price for me, and would really need a top level gaming PC to work with DCS.

For me, the Rift S has four basic problems compared to the CV1:

1) the mic stops working when being used by an app such as VAICOM and won't work again until you unplug the USB connector and plug it back in.

2) white noise periodically appears in place of image (not very frequent, but at least once a night).

3) head tracking base reference point periodically shifts to one side, often when mission first starts, but at other random times, too.

4) system loses guardian settings or other such mumbo jumbo and I have to put batteries in the touch hand controllers to recalibrate the forward reference and ground level even though I have guardian safety limits disabled.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]