Major TARGET issues.

Buschwick

Hiya I just recently bought the TM 16000m hotas setup without pedals cause I'm used to twist rudder.

Anyways I can't really figure out a good use for the rudder pedals things on the throttle side so I want to use it with brakes. Without TARGET running everything is 100% fine. But I can't make the break curve how I want it WITHOUT TARGET. (I want break pressure to begin at mid point on the lever thing cause it springs to the middle).

I made a profile with both controllers but that was a disaster. Target doesn't even offer enough axis assignments that are physically on the pair of controllers! So I made one with just the throttle and made the paddle curve exactly how I wanted it...worked great.

But I lose the functionality of all 3 thumb hat switches on the throttle.

The buttons still work fine, got the brake system how I want it...but the thumb hat switches don't work with the profile. With no profile loaded everything is fine...except I don't know what to do with the rudder paddles and hand has to come off to brake with keyboard.

Any help with this or suggestions on alternative software or how to have more control over an axis in DCS would be helpful.

Thanks!

Edited by Buschwick

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh I forgot to add...in the device analyzer ALL buttons work. Just not in DCS. I CAN select the buttons in the drop down menu because they're all listed...but they don't work by selecting the assignment by pressing the hats to assign or in the cockpit after manually selecting the buttons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not solution for TARGET issues, but alternative. ;)

The "paddle" lever in front of TWCS throttle is an axis always centered - due the return to center mechanism spring, restringing their used for other functions than rudder control because are always in 50%.

But with some tricks can use for brakes.

First "I want to use it with brakes", means for "Wheel Brakes" (both) or "Right Wheel Brakes" and "Left Wheel Brakes"?

For the first case (Wheel Brakes) is just matter of assign the axis in DCS axis options, pressing the paddle for one side, e.g. left, then go in "Tune axis", set as "slider" and saturation in 50%.

This make that paddle pressed from middle to left side press "Wheel Brakes" from 0 to 100%. If want can set a "S" curve for axis response.

For the second case, use this axis for "Right Wheel Brakes" and "Left Wheel Brakes", use Joystick Gremlin and divide this axis in two new virtual axes, then assign this virtual axes for right and left brakes, the go to "Tune axis" and set as "slider".

Thank you. :)

I got everything solved now. Took me till now with alot of frustration involved.

Not trying left and right braking.

I have the paddle mapped so anything centered and left is zero brake input, and centered to right is 0-100% for the brakes, effectively rendering the left paddle useless, but right paddle has full control of both brakes with the spring loaded paddle returning brake pressure to zero.

That was not an issue, other than not being able to do that within DCS. I would've never went further than plug and play had that been the case.

I eventually found out that TMs own software, Target, has no idea wtf to do with my setup...at all. It defaults to axis being mapped to multiple controllers...hat switch inputs not being reported as DXbuttons, therefore not detected in game. Windows and DCS knew what was going on just fine till I fired up a target profile.

Everything needed to be setup manually so I had to learn how to do that (mostly what DX controlled buttons are). Then I couldn't figure out how the F to save the changes. Found out you HAVE to have a name for assignments...

Got it working though. It's just really terrible software.

Edited by Buschwick

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Buschwic,

Are you trying to use TARGET Script Editor or the GUI?

The SE offers more options than the GUI.

I understand your frustration. I had similar issues with TMWH HOTAS and TPR Peddals. I figured out a work around, not without help from this community.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS