Well, the F5 certainly gives me plenty of engine out practice

agathorn

No knocks here, but I find it amusing. Probably a norm for jets but this is my first (training on the F5 until the F16 comes out, or I break down and buy the F18 ).

If I fly a mission without external tanks, its a 50/50 toss up if I'm going to find myself gliding to an emergency landing :D

I really need to get better at being aware of my fuel level!

Edited by agathorn

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

Yes i figured this out as well quite often. Compared to the F-18 it carries only ~2000 pounds (vs. ~11000). Sure, the engines and aircraft are certainly not very comparable but still...

Especially during the available BFM campaign, within which you have to fly from the base to the target area, fight against three oponents and return, fuel management is decisive over life and death as during combat you are tempted to fly with afterburner all the time

For such missions, it requires precise calculations of fuel flow rates and discipline, otherwise, as you found out already, you will find yourselves gliding..and not for long :D

Edited by Moafuleum

Yes i figured this out as well quite often. Compared to the F-18 it carries only ~4500 pounds (vs. ~11000). Sure, the engines and aircraft are certainly not very comparable but still...

Especially during the available BFM campaign, within which you have to fly from the base to the target area, fight against three oponents and return, fuel management is decisive over life and death as during combat you are tempted to fly with afterburner all the time

For such missions, it requires precise calculations of fuel flow rates and discipline, otherwise, as you found out already, you will find yourselves gliding..and not for long :D

FTFY