Any experience with Samsung Odyssey Plus & DCS yet?

fargo007

Can you share your settings...I’m getting 30 and a similar PC and components as you...

I didn’t overclock it yet...too nervous as I’m not a PC guy and don’t want to damage it

I have a i7 8700k too.

My settings are on the last page.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bun,

From reading lots of threads, my take is that you would do better to spend 500-600 on a GTX 1080ti, then save again to upgrade to a headset with 1440 panels. There is nothing wrong with your 1070, it is just asking a lot of it to run twin 1440 displays. There is another thread here comparing 1080, 1080ti and 2080ti cards. Do the 2080ti’s do better than 1080ti, yep just not dollar for dollar better. The 2080ti only bests the 1080ti by 30% for twice the price.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3687461#post3687461

Lots of info has to be taken into account for what you like, what’s not on the table to compromise and what is. Only you can decide what’s going to meet your expectations. Some folks swear you have to turn off MSAA others wont live without some being on. Some can live without shadows others can’t. What’s the minimum frame rate you can stomach in vr?

My take may or may not be right for you and I am sure there are many others that will roast my post for the opinion it is. LOL. Just remember it’s a hobby that is supposed to make you smile.

Bun,

From reading lots of threads, my take is that you would do better to spend 500-600 on a GTX 1080ti, then save again to upgrade to a headset with 1440 panels. There is nothing wrong with your 1070, it is just asking a lot of it to run twin 1440 displays. There is another thread here comparing 1080, 1080ti and 2080ti cards. Do the 2080ti’s do better than 1080ti, yep just not dollar for dollar better. The 2080ti only bests the 1080ti by 30% for twice the price.

Lots of info has to be taken into account for what you like, what’s not on the table to compromise and what is. Only you can decide what’s going to meet your expectations. Some folks swear you have to turn off MSAA others wont live without some being on. Some can live without shadows others can’t. What’s the minimum frame rate you can stomach in vr?

My take may or may not be right for you and I am sure there are many others that will roast my post for the opinion it is. LOL. Just remember it’s a hobby that is supposed to make you smile.

Good post !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Bun,

Thanks for the information - I appreciate the effort.

My greatest worry about HMD is to see a star shaped group of fuel trucks that turn out to be S-300. I'm still at the setting expectations stage before getting the spending juices flowing. Right now I'm running a 1080p monitor at 60fps with beautiful settings - easiest thing is to stay in prettyland and not think about VR so much.

:pilotfly:

I7-7700K 4.5 GHz / RTX 2080 Ti / 32Gb RAM / 1Tb 850 Evo SSD / Win10 Pro / TM Warthog / Crosswind Pedals / Odyssey+

To be honest, unless you have a binned CPU running at 5.3+ghz, you’ll most likely end up CPU bound before you ever max out even a 1080Ti.

All in VR only, that is.

Just something to consider. Not worth wasting cash on a GPU your CPU can’t feed.

My CPU running at 5.0ghz bottlenecks my 1080Ti at a 70% core load very, very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

To be honest, unless you have a binned CPU running at 5.3+ghz, you’ll most likely end up CPU bound before you ever max out even a 1080Ti.

All in VR only, that is.

Just something to consider. Not worth wasting cash on a GPU your CPU can’t feed.

My CPU running at 5.0ghz bottlenecks my 1080Ti at a 70% core load very, very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first built this system I looked at overclocking and got the CPU all the way to a blazing 4.5 Ghz and decided it wasn't worth it. Computer is 15 months old and runs DCS well on my Asus monitor. VR will have to wait until the next computer build - September 2020. Stuck in prettyland - the headsets look goofy anyway.

Still, we've come a long way from my original Apple 2, 1 Mhz 6502 CPU, 48 k RAM and I was in Heaven when I added the 5.25" floppy drive.

:megalol:

Come on ED optimization...

I7-7700K 4.5 GHz / RTX 2080 Ti / 32Gb RAM / 1Tb 850 Evo SSD / Win10 Pro / TM Warthog / Crosswind Pedals / Odyssey+

Bun, there is nothing quite like VR. Once you experience it, it is hard to go back to a flat screen. Quite a few folks do enjoy the Rift with a 1070 card. It’s just one of those chicken or the egg endeavors to upgrade on a budget. If you don’t have a headset yet maybe a used Rift is a better choice for a first upgrade. They are 1080p and would be easier to run on your card and you get to experience VR. Is the Rift perfect, No, but it is awesome. Does it have SDE, Yes, but I don’t see the room I am in. Does it have God rays, Yes, but I only see them when booting up certain space simulator. Is it all worth it to me, Oh! yeah. My hooked moment came when I was doing a tailslide and looked out the side window just as I started sliding backwards. I actually reached out to grab a hold of a canopy handle to steady myself. I Immediately felt sheepish, verified I was alone and was not witnessed and then had a good laugh at myself.

Once bitten by the VR bug the pursuit of better will be ever present, what will make it a perfect experience? 1080, 1440, 4K, 8k? 1080ti, 2080ti, 3080ti, 4080ti? Well...isn’t that what makes it a great hobby. We have come a long way and it just keeps getting better.

Anything worth doing is worth the sacrifice to do it well.

Bun, I haven't quite decided yet but I'm probably going to sell my Rift now that I have the Odyssey plus. Its a slightly different experience but no screen door with the O+.

I'll have a Pimax soon and the Rift will be gone.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I got my O+ last week and have been flying in VR for 30 minutes a day to slowly get used to the sensation. I was not overly impressed using it in the A-10C or F/A-18, as the degraded graphics makes it hard even to spot an airfield from 10 miles out, let alone spot enemies and other stuff, but was so blown away when I used it with the Huey. That's where VR really shines, at least for me. I'll keep it just for that.

On the technical side, I did all the suggested steps with WMR beta and SteamVR beta and have solid 45 fps with PD of 1.3 in Caucasus with my setup.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

SteamVR beta broke last night, and I could not get it to work. Compositor 306 and 400 errors.

Some investigation led me to just dropping out of the beta, and everything worked again. But how?

So just so everyone is aware, the SteamVR beta works very differently from the way DCS and DCS OpenBeta work.

In DCS, they are different code branches.

In SteamVR, the beta is simply the newest version standing in front of the production one. Each production one itself formerly the beta.

So coming out of the beta at this point puts you right back where you were before. What was formerly beta is now production.

I hope I'm making sense here.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

How did you leave Steam WMR beta?! I opted out, and it STILL launches in beta no matter what I do!

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling even.

SteamVR beta broke last night, and I could not get it to work. Compositor 306 and 400 errors.

Some investigation led me to just dropping out of the beta, and everything worked again. But how?

So just so everyone is aware, the SteamVR beta works very differently from the way DCS and DCS OpenBeta work.

In DCS, they are different code branches.

In SteamVR, the beta is simply the newest version standing in front of the production one. Each production one itself formerly the beta.

So coming out of the beta at this point puts you right back where you were before. What was formerly beta is now production.

I hope I'm making sense here.

I opened steam, right clicked on steamvr in the left pane, then chose the betas tab and used the drop down to set NONE.

Essentially the reverse of turning the beta on.

Turns out the "steam VR" and "steam VR for WMR" are separate things and you gotta turn them BOTH off. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been really enjoying my O+, superb image quality, awesome colors, AMOLED magic at its best.

However, this thing is extremely painful to wear over time compared to the Rift, and that's the biggest downside of the O+ for me.

I mean, I end up what feels like carpet burn or pressure point pain on my forehead, and it's a real show stopper when playing for a while. The Rift never ever caused any pain at all, even after hours of using it.

How do other O+ owners deal with that?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I got my O+ last week and have been flying in VR for 30 minutes a day to slowly get used to the sensation. I was not overly impressed using it in the A-10C or F/A-18, as the degraded graphics makes it hard even to spot an airfield from 10 miles out, let alone spot enemies and other stuff, but was so blown away when I used it with the Huey. That's where VR really shines, at least for me. I'll keep it just for that.

On the technical side, I did all the suggested steps with WMR beta and SteamVR beta and have solid 45 fps with PD of 1.3 in Caucasus with my setup.

hmm, I can spot fighters at 10-15 miles and the KC-130 at 22.5 nm. Did you do that trick with changing the target render scale to 2.0 in the Windows Mixed Reality setting file?

see here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=228658

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

OK, StrikeEagle345,

Please tell us approximately what is the scenario for seeing the Tanker at 22.5 nm - are you below him and see him in the light blue sky. Did you use radar or a callout of his heading to get looking in the correct direction? That is quite a claim and I want to try it since I have the Odyssey+ as well. Just what are your SteamVR settings for SS - I do have the renderTargetScale set at 2.0. Do you wear glasses?

Thanks for your help!

Dave W.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

OK, StrikeEagle345,

Please tell us approximately what is the scenario for seeing the Tanker at 22.5 nm - are you below him and see him in the light blue sky. Did you use radar or a callout of his heading to get looking in the correct direction? That is quite a claim and I want to try it since I have the Odyssey+ as well. Just what are your SteamVR settings for SS - I do have the renderTargetScale set at 2.0. Do you wear glasses?

Thanks for your help!

Dave W.

Of course! I am at the same altitude as the tankers when I can see them. It makes it even easier if there are clouds in the background behind them.

No glassed, (contacts)

I have the renderTargetScale set to 2.0 as well.

SteamVR SS is set to 100%

DCS PD is set to 1.0 with MSAA @ 4x (at PD 1.3, i can still see it but it starts to get very difficult and you really need to look for the tanker. 1.5 PD greatly reduces spotting range)

Also, my system doesn't like running a high PD with the Hornet (CPU bottleneck) and running at 1.0 I discovered I can spot at much greater ranges. MSAA just reduces the jagged lines and shimmering edges.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I have been really enjoying my O+, superb image quality, awesome colors, AMOLED magic at its best.

However, this thing is extremely painful to wear over time compared to the Rift, and that's the biggest downside of the O+ for me.

I mean, I end up what feels like carpet burn or pressure point pain on my forehead, and it's a real show stopper when playing for a while. The Rift never ever caused any pain at all, even after hours of using it.

How do other O+ owners deal with that?

Hey rrohde I have the O+ and have the same issue with the carpet burn feeling. I believe it has to do with maybe only a few points of contact when I wear the O+. Not a perfectly round head. I have adopted wearing a beanie or a soft hunting cap that's insulated, I know it not ideal but it works. I been thinking also of building a strap to attach to the top like the rift that goes over my grape for extra support.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey rrohde I have the O+ and have the same issue with the carpet burn feeling. I believe it has to do with maybe only a few points of contact when I wear the O+. Not a perfectly round head. I have adopted wearing a beanie or a soft hunting cap that's insulated, I know it not ideal but it works. I been thinking also of building a strap to attach to the top like the rift that goes over my grape for extra support.

Great idea with that beanie - going to try that asap, thanks. Also curious how you get one what that strap idea... I was looking at something like this and wondered if that can be customized for the O+.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Great idea with that beanie - going to try that asap, thanks. Also curious how you get one what that strap idea... I was looking at something like this and wondered if that can be customized for the O+.

Nice! ya that's sort of what I was thinking too. Of coarse something that won't ruin the warranty but maybe a way to snap a clip to the front piece and back piece like the Rift top strap stretchy with Velcro. I imagine just a little more support around the cranium would make it a little more comfortable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

some say taking a strap like that and just going from side to side adds support on the top of your head and it makes a difference ..

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I guess some third party mod or DIY mod parts will be soon out on the market.

Something similar to this mod for Vive audio strap.

You will need to be glued some velcro on a side to attach sides and made some 3D printed clip to attach stripe on top. Get some ideas from this video.

Also, there will be possible just to relife weight from the forehead by attaching simple velcro from the side of HMD to strap in the middle near to headphones. The strap will connect this two points and distribute weight more evenly around the head.

Such simple and cheap modification with just glued velcro on existing parts without opening HMD should not lose warranty.