Any MiG-21bis Improve Plan?

blklobo

Another art update? Not holding my breath...

I'll do an art update just for you.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

While my faith to Bis is almost gone, I still dream about it.

Yet I can't anymore fly it as it didn't even accelerate as one could think from a rocket with wings.

Like half a year ago I tried to fly it, couldn't get it go past 350kph at 1.2km altitude and 5-10 degree angle. Plane simply stalled from every single stick pull, no matter how small. Immediately after releasing stick, it boosted to 900kph and faster. And that with plane just with cannon.

Even flying 750kph at 15 degree dive resulted serious declaration if pulling stick back slowly to go level flight, and then just be stalled at level flying.

Checking all the configurations that throttle or a stick axis weren't mixed, resetting them and rebind, I just quit trying.

- doesn't roll

- doesn't climb

- doesn't accelerate

- doesn't turn

Even a Su-25 is far more agile, faster and more maneuverable.

Don't touch the stick and it will fly like an arrow, but you have nothing like it was in the early year and nothing like what a F-5 is, that is closest to it performance.

And now it was news to me how SPO-10 should work, as I know the SPO-15 is wrong in DCS, and the SPO-10 felt like it lacked half the features, and now I guess why...

It is these small details that puts my interest down to DCS, when you get more and more of them all the time.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

While my faith to Bis is almost gone, I still dream about it.

Yet I can't anymore fly it as it didn't even accelerate as one could think from a rocket with wings.

Like half a year ago I tried to fly it, couldn't get it go past 350kph at 1.2km altitude and 5-10 degree angle. Plane simply stalled from every single stick pull, no matter how small. Immediately after releasing stick, it boosted to 900kph and faster. And that with plane just with cannon.

Even flying 750kph at 15 degree dive resulted serious declaration if pulling stick back slowly to go level flight, and then just be stalled at level flying.

Checking all the configurations that throttle or a stick axis weren't mixed, resetting them and rebind, I just quit trying.

- doesn't roll

- doesn't climb

- doesn't accelerate

- doesn't turn

Even a Su-25 is far more agile, faster and more maneuverable.

Don't touch the stick and it will fly like an arrow, but you have nothing like it was in the early year and nothing like what a F-5 is, that is closest to it performance.

And now it was news to me how SPO-10 should work, as I know the SPO-15 is wrong in DCS, and the SPO-10 felt like it lacked half the features, and now I guess why...

It is these small details that puts my interest down to DCS, when you get more and more of them all the time.

Mig-21 was design mainly for zoom climb. That’s why the shorter wingspan. Do not expect with this configuration have a good low speed/low altitude flight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While my faith to Bis is almost gone, I still dream about it. Yet I can't anymore fly it as it didn't even accelerate as one could think from a rocket with wings.

+1000

Please fix the Mig-21 so we can enjoy this iconic bird to it's fullest :(.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Mig-21 was design mainly for zoom climb. That’s why the shorter wingspan. Do not expect with this configuration have a good low speed/low altitude flight.
It does have excellent low altitude capabilities, not like modern ones but still excellent. Now pulling stick just slightly and you are stalling. Meaning, you can't fly faster than 350kph at ie. 10 degree angle up.

How you think you would "zoom climb" from a airstrip when you can't accelerate one bit?

The Mig is interceptor, you waited literally to last seconds to take off and climb to bombers altitude in straight high angle raise.

Is it realistic that mig can't do turn smaller than 10km at speed above 350kph?

That bird drops from sky if you touch the stick backward?

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

couldn't get it go past 350kph at 1.2km altitude and 5-10 degree angle

Even flying 750kph at 15 degree dive resulted serious declaration if pulling stick back slowly to go level flight, and then just be stalled at level flying
can't do turn smaller than 10km at speed above 350kph

None of this describes the way the Mig-21 behaves for me.

It does have excellent low altitude capabilities, not like modern ones but still excellent. Now pulling stick just slightly and you are stalling. Meaning, you can't fly faster than 350kph at ie. 10 degree angle up.

How you think you would "zoom climb" from a airstrip when you can't accelerate one bit?

The Mig is interceptor, you waited literally to last seconds to take off and climb to bombers altitude in straight high angle raise.

Is it realistic that mig can't do turn smaller than 10km at speed above 350kph?

That bird drops from sky if you touch the stick backward?

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

you literally want recover the lost of sustentation at low altitud with afterburner. Obviously you want recover with a slight pull up but the case you already lost the sustentation and you go down anyway. So as you have not altitud to recover with a dive, then is no way and you are done. better push slightly forward your joystick while you still have 450kph, bellow this you will crash.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nobody that worked on the Mig-21 works for Heatblur, apart from Cobra which, IIRC only worked on the art. HB isn't to blame for anything.

Not really what I heard, but meh, easier to separate "good guys" vs "bad guys", I guess ...

As for the behavior described above : like many reported, I don't see it behave that way at all. Accelerates well, retains speed at up to 15° AoA, which gives a nice non-10km turn radius.... As well, I tried to reproduce the behavior indicated in a Mantis bug linked above, couldn't, or I misunderstood the issue...

Development / Fixes on Mig21 is very slow indeed, but going hyperbolistic and sometimes plain untrue in bug reporting or issue description is certainly not going to speed up things.

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Development / Fixes on Mig21 is very slow indeed, but going hyperbolistic and sometimes plain untrue in bug reporting or issue description is certainly not going to speed up things.

Sorry, but I just stated as I found out after longer time not flying it. I only checked that there ain't problems with bindings (ie, throttle and pitch same axis) but didn't get it solved. Only tested then that how it behaves (when it doesn't anymore accelerate, when it does, how widely it turns at constant speed etc).

That is why I haven't done bug reports as error must be on my end (without reinstalling module).

--

Hi,

I haven't bought the MiG 21 yet, I'm tossing up between the MiG and the M2000. I think I'd prefer the MiG as I already have BVR capable aircraft with all the modern kit, the MiG seems a bit more...'classic' I suppose, I bit rougher and I like that.

In saying that, it seems to lack support from the developers (I could be wrong it just looks that way from the reading I've been doing). For those of you who have owned the MiG for a while, has it changed much during it's early access? Has it improved? Are you confident it will be fully released?

I'm always cautious when I see something has been in early access as long as this module has. It'd be nice to get bonus $ or be able to use my bonus $, I don't know why this developer has opted not to do that, it's a shame but it's not a deal breaker.

Looking for opinions please, and if you can, any information which supports the ongoing development of the MiG. At the moment all I can find is the bi-plane they're working on and their facebook page doesn't have much recent information on it.

Hi,

I haven't bought the MiG 21 yet, I'm tossing up between the MiG and the M2000. I think I'd prefer the MiG as I already have BVR capable aircraft with all the modern kit, the MiG seems a bit more...'classic' I suppose, I bit rougher and I like that.

In saying that, it seems to lack support from the developers (I could be wrong it just looks that way from the reading I've been doing). For those of you who have owned the MiG for a while, has it changed much during it's early access? Has it improved? Are you confident it will be fully released?

I'm always cautious when I see something has been in early access as long as this module has. It'd be nice to get bonus $ or be able to use my bonus $, I don't know why this developer has opted not to do that, it's a shame but it's not a deal breaker.

Looking for opinions please, and if you can, any information which supports the ongoing development of the MiG. At the moment all I can find is the bi-plane they're working on and their facebook page doesn't have much recent information on it.

I think you should not expect that the plane will significantly change in future, what you see now is pretty much what you get. Nevertheless, the impression that you got from reading the forum might be misleading. It is already a nice plane and there are a variety of things to do: Intercept bombers, air to ground rockets are very effective as the piper (with the radar on in a beam mode) can precisely tell you the impact point, it has IFF, it has autopilot, and other stuff you will not find in say F-5. It is challenging to land, it is challenging to fight against F-5s.

Based on my previous experience you can reasonably expect that there will always appear new bugs, but in one or two month the developer shall fix them. When a new piece of technology from ED comes, in one or two month the developer shall implement it. There are other issues that would be so great to have fully developed (ASP, SAU, RWR), but not because the plane would not be enjoyable or playable now, but because the plane is so great that it would become a legend of DCS if it was brought to perfection. That is what people want, but I would not expect that.

Hope this helps.

Based on my previous experience you can reasonably expect that there will always appear new bugs, but in one or two month the developer shall fix them.

That surely is not the experience we are getting with the MiG-21. There are open bugs that are 4 years old, no fix.

When talking about buying a module (this vs. that), there are many opinions about how good it is, how fun it is etc. But all of these should be measured starting from a common point: this is a study sim.

So sure, the MiG-21 is playable, you can shoot stuff, it's fun to land. But does it do all those things in a realistic way, representing the real aircraft?

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Thanks for the input, I think on balance it might be worth buying on sale but doesn’t sound like it has the support to warrant paying full price over a different module. I’ll probably still keep it in mind because the older gear is fantastic and I was after that comparison of a delta wing older fighter vs playing with some of the newer stuff.

Ultimately no matter how interesting it is to fly there’s only so much fun you can have taking off and landing. If it’s not getting updated and isnt likely to have content such as campaigns added then it’s probably best I hold off.

Maybe one day we’ll have more aircraft from that period to bring the MiG into the spotlight again.

So sure, the MiG-21 is playable, you can shoot stuff, it's fun to land. But does it do all those things in a realistic way, representing the real aircraft?

I know a couple of real MiG21 pilots for whom this module would be quite acceptable as a training sim.

On the other hand, I know quite a lot of real armchair pilots for whom this module is not an adequate sim of the real MiG21.

I let you decide who of these two is a better reference. :pilotfly:

I know a couple of real MiG21 pilots for whom this module would be quite acceptable as a training sim.

On the other hand, I know quite a lot of real armchair pilots for whom this module is not an adequate sim of the real MiG21.

I let you decide who of these two is a better reference. :pilotfly:

And since the start, many real pilots said that. And we have had multiple radical flight model changes.

Without ANY "armchair pilots" knowing ANYTHING about how the real aircraft handles, that is what makes everything questionable...

If the first version was developed with multiple real pilots etc to early access, why it got changed radically after EA? Why it got multiple changes?

Like how many years went by that we had the core functions wrong, like a missile selector switch being a "chosen", instead "preferred"?

I don't even know how that gunsight pipper should behave. Should it move and lock on target when IR missile senses a heat source, or should it be fixed and not move? Should the pipper move dynamically showing a calculated impact point for bombs when doing ground attack with radar metering? I don't even know what is the current roll behavior realism status. Does aircraft roll too fast or too slowly, or is it now correct?

One of the major features with Mig was the first nuclear bomb capable aircraft, with lots of trouble from ED old map engine, but that wasn't developers fault as they can't do what ED has not yet implemented.

But when so many things starts to be in the waiting list, it is just hard for many as many has tolerances already pushed to overlimit.

So many core things are depending from ED, like the RWR situation. Real SPO-15 has a totally different radar emission classification and power presentation than what it has now in Su-25A/T, Su-27S and now still likely just refreshed Mig-29S (didn't look that in testing, even when few times in quick air to air missions). And here someone told about the SPO-10 features still missing.

So all that seems to be waiting ED to get radars functions working, goal get right RWR behavior and IFF even.

But considering things like IFF, it has never worked. And how hard it is to make a simple version when is its basics well known?

Even a crude over simple version is better than nothing. Just get a confirmation if target is friend, otherwise just unknown. Yeah, make some fancy things to cause someone be now then a unknown when should be a friend and you get people just quickly learn that unknown is not enemy but requires a visual confirmation etc.

Likely we get these with F-14 coming out, as that is one of its major features to be able visually identify targets at long range.

Developers has often hands tied when they are dependable from other party, in this case Mig-21 developer and ED. If ED doesn't allow something to be done before they do it to all, then everyone is waiting ED to implement it. And if situation changes in ED that feature gets pushed 3-5 years... Sucks to be any customer from any module.

The software business is little odd in many ways compared to real world problem fixing. Ie, if a customer roof is leaking, a constructor doesn't want to hear from manufacturer representative; "wait to the next year, as we are going to release a new product", but get a new replacement on that day so customer gets the roof fixed before annual rain season. Even a temporary fix is better than no fix at all.

As that is the situation. A leaking roof withstand few rainy days with minimal damage, but overtime the rains gets more periodic and heavier and rain season starts and then everyone has a problem.

In this case, module owners are the rain, and house owners are the module developers and roof manufacturer is the ED.

In time, more and more angry customers will appear and it is trouble if the problem doesn't get fixed before there is too much water damage that can't be fixed.

And this ain't only about Mig-21 anymore for some. It is all about the DCS. How can anyone be sure about anything?

It is like a house of cards, you need to get every piece to hold and be correctly placed.

--