Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

Bankler as always, thank you and congratulations.

You carrier landing mission has been of great help in honing my carrier landing skills.

Cheers

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Great update Bankler, thanks!

What are some of you high scorers getting on groove times? Normally my groove time was good with human LSOs (I know, subjective), but I am getting a few seconds higher then I would think from the program.

Great mission, but my first run threw up an issue that I think lies with the cats radar altimeter: it's reading approx 125ft too high. Anyone else getting the same?

I’m not 100%, but I believe that the radar altimeter isn’t accurate over water. You need to look at the barometric alt, or deduct ~100ft or so like you found out. I also believe (again, not completely sure) this is intended behavior, like it was in the real F-14. Don’t quote me on it though. In any case, you can use the F10 map to verify what’s working.

I’m not 100%, but I believe that the radar altimeter isn’t accurate over water. You need to look at the barometric alt, or deduct ~100ft or so like you found out. I also believe (again, not completely sure) this is intended behavior, like it was in the real F-14. Don’t quote me on it though. In any case, you can use the F10 map to verify what’s working.

I believe Hornet pilots use the radar altimeter in the pattern, so goes to show I shouldn't take things for granted it would be the same in the cat!

nvm you are correct

Edited by tornadotowel

What exactly are the "abort" criteria? I'm finding myself doing the first part of the pattern basically correct, with "fast" on the last bit after the turn and I'm getting "abort" like 80% of the time?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

What exactly are the "abort" criteria? I'm finding myself doing the first part of the pattern basically correct, with "fast" on the last bit after the turn and I'm getting "abort" like 80% of the time?

It checks if you get above 1200 ft or you’re to far from where you’re expected to be. Hard to tell where it goes wrong for you. Does it say anything more than “aborted”? If you want, you can attach a trk so I can look. Then I should be able to know for sure.

It checks if you get above 1200 ft or you’re to far from where you’re expected to be. Hard to tell where it goes wrong for you. Does it say anything more than “aborted”? If you want, you can attach a trk so I can look. Then I should be able to know for sure.

Usually its too high too low, but not like 1200, usually I'm like 400-700 ish. Too fast or slow is typical. Usually I'm ok on distance abeam, sometimes I pork it tho, maybe thats the trigger.

How far off the carrier should I be per tacan on the intial break (entry) I'm typically .2mi. Also when to start the break, I'm doing right after the first grade?

Also with the F14, I notice that it uses the baro alt, not radar alt is that right?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It won’t give you an abort for altitude error unless above 1200. And no aborts for wrong speed. Again, does it say anything else than “aborted”? And can you provide a trk or tacview file?

You can break anywhere from the bow to approx 4 nm. It’s your choice as long as you’re lined up with the brc. For the Tomcat altitude, since you’re over water, baro is probably the easiest to use. You can also use radar alt but have to deduct 100 ft or so (details about why on page 19 in this thread).

Firstly, this is an amazing mission, truly brilliant. Excuse the noob question but I don’t get any prompts going round the circuit and don’t get a final score. Is there anything I should be doing? I’m definitely 800 ft and 350 knots going past the carrier.

Cheers!

Bankler, does the score in the tomcat look right to you?

I was only slightly low in the 90 and had a long groove time. But for some reason, that two things cost me 20 points?:unsure: I assume one extra groove second is worth 3 points?

OrJNHoI.png

Anyway, any advice on cutting my groove time? I seem to stuck in between 21~23sec, even though I could perform everything from abeam down to the ramp perfectly.

Edited by Lymark

Firstly, this is an amazing mission, truly brilliant. Excuse the noob question but I don’t get any prompts going round the circuit and don’t get a final score. Is there anything I should be doing? I’m definitely 800 ft and 350 knots going past the carrier.

Cheers!

You need to pass the trailing ship behind the carrier below 1200 ft to get the script to start.

Bankler, does the score in the tomcat look right to you?

I was only slightly low in the 90 and had a long groove time. But for some reason, that two things cost me 20 points?:unsure: I assume one extra groove second is worth 3 points?

Anyway, any advice on cutting my groove time? I seem to stuck in between 21~23sec, even though I could perform everything from abeam down to the ramp perfectly.

Thanks! No, it doesn’t look right. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll need to double check for bugs related to scoring on the Tomcat! That one should be 70 points or so.

Cutting the groove time is hard. Turning final a little earlier helps, like the second you get the abeam score or even slightly before (it won’t mess up your abeam score if you start the turn only one or two sec before the abeam score shows up). Try not to be angling approaching the groove slowly, but instead do a quite determined turn straight into the groove, so you don’t go wings level before you’re lined up.

Also, don’t forget that the script isn’t perfect. Depending on your approach, a real LSO might very well have started the stopwatch later than the script does. So don’t take the groove time too seriously. If you think you’re doing good, you probably are. :)

You need to pass the trailing ship behind the carrier below 1200 ft to get the script to start.

Cheers Bankler! Again, fantastic mission, it's made the F18 much more of a module for me. Only recently upgraded to a new pc that can run DCS in it's full glory so I'm now trying it out as much as possible.