How do I use autopilot?

uist1

Is there an autopilot tutorial out there? I can’t seem to get it to work. I set up heading on the hsi and select HSEL on the ufc but she just goes into a lazy turn and doesn’t follow the heading. Won’t hold altitude either or speed on the auto throttle. I must be doing it wrong. Loving every minute of it though!!!!! Might try and post a log/track when I work out how. Thanks

Tried it again. Sometimes it won’t let me select BALT on the ufc. Can see ATC on the hud. I can see the button depressing but it won’t activate. Noticed I have an autopilot message on the right DDI? When I selected a heading on the HSi with the switch it won’t turn towards it with HSEL selected. I’ll try a restart.

I have had the same issue with BALT in autopilot. Found if you are within pitch limits for BALT - push the stick forward slight after pressing BALT (hold for a couple of secs) you will get the : next BALT and it will be activated.

Not very scientific....but is has been a trend I have noticed that works. Maybe a bug, or user error - not sure yet

Attention! BALT and RALT modes won't engage unless you have absolute zero input on the stick.

Easily sorted by putting a 1% deadzone on your stick (as many joysticks will not be at the exact centre when centred, not even the TM Warthog).

• Like 1

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

ok, figured out what BALT is.

if my understanding is correct, it's one of four autopilot modes available to us and is found under the A/P menu on the UFC. the UFC is the console in the middle with the num pad, and the A/P button is found directly under it.

Attention! BALT and RALT modes won't engage unless you have absolute zero input on the stick.

Easily sorted by putting a 1% deadzone on your stick (as many joysticks will not be at the exact centre when centred, not even the TM Warthog).

Thanks man, you're my hero now. This was driving me crazy!

Thanks man, you're my hero now. This was driving me crazy!

I'll pay it forward if I remember, got the tip some someone else in another thread here on the forum yesterday :)

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

It's been fun using the autopilot.

Get level at height? whatever... say 20,000 feet

Turn on auto-throttle (ATC) and Attitude Hold (ATTH) then turn on Heading Select (HSEL).

Then all you need to do is use the (heading switch) top left of the middle display to fly around to wherever? all hands off, so lazy....;) Cool when sightseeing the PG map.

attachment.php?attachmentid=186048&stc=1&d=1527846066

-

Heading_Select.thumb.jpg.4cdc0ad51bbcc8dbf91242c17f62160f.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

First A/P modes light up

Hit a mode

?

always works here

Combinations sometimes don't work well

ATTH then HSEL not a good idea

HSEL first (which I suspect has a ATTH of its own) then BALT does work

(RALT only works close to the deck I think, follow the hills @ 300ft)

also

disabling an AP Mode still has the AP 'engaged' which one can see on the HUD (or HSI?) screen readout left bottom, the A/P 'breadcrumb' readout, your pitch/bank will be 'stuck' somehow

A hard pitch effect happens when you move the stick with a A/P mode disengaged but not A/P itself disengaged

You actually have to "disengage' (key A) A/P itself to (re-)use the stick properly as per the A/P 'breadcrumb' readout and not have a somewhat violent pitch reaction when stick-movement disengages the A/P

(If this is R/L AP behavior, no idea)

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Or as most of the aircrafts, trimming as much as possible close to straight fly with zero input then activating autopilot is pretty a flawless in any aircraft, that<s what i personaly do.

First A/P modes light up

Hit a mode

?

always works here

Combinations sometimes don't work well

ATTH then HSEL not a good idea

HSEL first (which I suspect has a ATTH of its own) then BALT does work

(RALT only works close to the deck I think, follow the hills @ 300ft)

also

disabling an AP Mode still has the AP 'engaged' which one can see on the HUD (or HSI?) screen readout left bottom, the A/P 'breadcrumb' readout, your pitch/bank will be 'stuck' somehow

A hard pitch effect happens when you move the stick with a A/P mode disengaged but not A/P itself disengaged

You actually have to "disengage' (key A) A/P itself to (re-)use the stick properly as per the A/P 'breadcrumb' readout and not have a somewhat violent pitch reaction when stick-movement disengages the A/P

(If this is R/L AP behavior, no idea)

I might be far in space, and just flew a bit the Hornet, spent most the few times on ground learning the start-up or a few carrier trap, and my many hours in the SuperHornet in another old Sim is Far :) and i haven't test it or remember, but one thing to test or take into consideration when engaging BALT or RALT is, the setting on your HUD, if the switch is set tp Radar or Baro might maybe makes a diff on the A/P, not sure, cuz personaly could be tricky if you're flying (extreme case here for the exemple) 400 FT with HUD set as Radar then hitting the A/P with 300 FT as BALT could make you go where you couldnt Anticipate and maybe way lower than 300 FT Radar. But i can be totaly wrong as i said, i haven't tried, only used A/P last night for testing purpuses and all worked fine, but i simly used HSEL and RALT since my HUD was set to Radar Altimeter.

As for RALT working on certain altitude, could be a possibility as lots of aircraft even when you set your HUD on Radar Altimeter, passed a certain altitude it switches to Baro in anyways, but can't remember the Hornet, so might be the case with A/P. duno.

But again, if i am all wrong, don'T do sending tomatoes at my Hornet pls

;P

I can't get auto pilot modes to display the colon and nothing I do will work. I can activate ATC but nothing else works. I have to be doing something wrong but I have looked through the manual and can't find anything. I also added a deadzone as was mentioned but it didn't help. Also, it seems to work fine unless I start cold and dark. Any help appreciated.

Edited by sSkullZnBoneZz

Liquid Cooled i9 11900K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | HP Reverb G2

TM F/A-18 Stick | Virpil WarBRD | WinWIng F/A-18 HOTAS

So. After flying around some more tonight. ATC works perfect for me as does BALT. I set my dead zone and that did the trick. However, when I engage HSEL it works first time. But if I disconnect by applying force to the stick it won’t fly to the heading bug on the hsi again. Just banks past it and circles round and round. Tried disconnecting A/P on the UFC and reconnecting but that didn’t seem to work either. Any ideas?

So. After flying around some more tonight. ATC works perfect for me as does BALT. I set my dead zone and that did the trick. However, when I engage HSEL it works first time. But if I disconnect by applying force to the stick it won’t fly to the heading bug on the hsi again. Just banks past it and circles round and round. Tried disconnecting A/P on the UFC and reconnecting but that didn’t seem to work either. Any ideas?

Try

"A" - Autopilot/Nosewheel Steering Disengage (Paddle) Switch / Stick; HOTAS

then A/P then HSEL

Forcing the A/P mode off by stick movement does weird things, which I don’t think is correct

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

How do I delete this message?

attachment.php?attachmentid=186021&stc=1&d=1527823616

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

This thing has auto throttle? How do you engage that?

all autopilot disengage.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

This is all according to the NATOPS:

1. The AUTO PILOT caution on the DDI means "autopilot did not engage or A/P disengaged after it was selected for any reason except pilot actuation of the paddle switch. The caution is removed after 10 seconds or when the paddle switch is actuated."

2. " ... basic autopilot (heading hold) is engaged by selecting the A/P pushbutton (at which time pilot relief options appear on the UFC) then selecting the ON/OFF pushbutton. Engagement is indicated by the A/P advisory on the DDI. Selecting the ON/OFF pushbutton is not required if ATTH, HSEL, BALT, RALT, or CPL [not in early access] option on the UFC is desired."

I am also getting the AUTO PILOT warning on the DDI and it is not clearing when using the paddle switch to disengage autopilot. It doesn't feel like the autopilot is actually disengaging either, unless I actuate the stick. But that doesn't clear the error on the DDI either. Probably just still a bit wonky being it's early access.

I can't get auto pilot modes to display the colon and nothing I do will work. I can activate ATC but nothing else works. I have to be doing something wrong but I have looked through the manual and can't find anything. I also added a deadzone as was mentioned but it didn't help. Also, it seems to work fine unless I start cold and dark. Any help appreciated.

Same here.

I'll try that later when I get home. Probably just small early access niggles plus pilot error on my part. Been flying with Dcs for years and I have to say this is the most incredible and promising module to date!!

How do I delete this message?

attachment.php?attachmentid=186021&stc=1&d=1527823616

Behaves now as a 'bread crumb' notification of the specific AP mode you're in.

Which is quite useful to test how to use the AP.

I think it also shows or should show error messages, which is also useful.

Whether it's RL .. ?

(Manuals found on the internet differ per source and type and year apparently)

Forcing the A/P mode off by stick movement does weird things, which I don’t think is correct.

Disengage by paddle switch "A" is the right - smooth - way (no nose pitch jerk)