GAU-8/A and MK108 Shell tweaking/modding

I adore the 30mm monsters that the A10C and Bf-109 K4 have on them. I did however find some issues that needed improvement in my oppinion. This is more of a tweak than a mod per se but I do not think there is a "Tweaks" subforum yet. :)

Issues:

To correct these issues I tweaked some .lua files. The results are shown on the video below.

GAU-8/A Dispersion lessened so that most of the bullets now fall within the BATA. Credit to Flagrum for the .lua file solution on this issue

MK108 now actually does catastrophic damage to AI (+bonus, it now fires tracers): something like this

I do not claim to have any data or proof that these are realistic tweaks. I just thought that someone might find them as enjoyable in their SP gameplay as I have done. Nothing more - nothing less.

DOWNLOAD GAU-8 Tweak:

DOWNLOAD MK-108 Tweak

Changelog:

JSGME compatible format

2/2016 Split the tweak into separate files. Tweaked the GAU-8 dispersion value a bit.

6/2016 Fixed MW50 injector not-working issue

Edited by DirtyFret

I like your tweak :thumbup:

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Thanks! It really did wonders to the MK108! :D

Indeed, thanks a lot!

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is great that you guys/ladies enjoy it. :)

Tested! and I like to return again to same dispersion we got in latter builds like 1.2.3.x - 1.2.5.x

Now I can open a tank like a can with less than 200 rounds and not the near 500 rounds without the mod.

Thanks!

I am sorry , I dont understand what you are trying to say. If you like to return to the old dispersion setting you can just unactivate the mod from JSGME. But I am always happy to hear tanks popping to the sound of `BRRRRRRTTT :thumbup:

Did you just remove the AP rounds and add the Tracer ones (that are in the game files but unused), or did you also increase the damage?

I indeed activated the Minengeschoß tracer shells (MGschs) and removed the HEI shells alltogether. As far as I know the AP rounds for MK108 are not available in DCS. I do not genuinely know whether the HEI has any actual function in game. Supposedly, they have/had a hydrostatic fuze which would only detonate the charge if it passed into liquid (fuel) causing catastrophic damage. I am somewhat sure that this is not modelled in the AI damage model - hence I felt that I could remove them.

I added a bit mass to the shell and more explosive material. To compensate the increased mass I slightly raised the v0 (muzzle velocity). I do not think there is a way to directly increase "damage" of any gun expect by tweaking the parameters of the shells. :smartass:

I hope this answers your question :) :pilotfly:

Edited by DirtyFret

It is great that you guys/ladies enjoy it. :)

I am sorry , I dont understand what you are trying to say. If you like to return to the old dispersion setting you can just unactivate the mod from JSGME. But I am always happy to hear tanks popping to the sound of `BRRRRRRTTT :thumbup:

I mean, your mod has the same dispersion (or near) the one we got with older versions of DCS.

It is possible that some changes commited somewhere during the last few patches may have broken something, thus causing the current dispersion effect.

I mean, your mod has the same dispersion (or near) the one we got with older versions of DCS.

It is possible that some changes commited somewhere during the last few patches may have broken something, thus causing the current dispersion effect.

This is a long standing issue that exists probably since the stand alone version of DCS:A-10C. At least the parameter for the dispersion in the LUA files had not changed since then.

First bug reports of this issue must have been made long prior december 2013 - that was when I experimented with this, but I know that it was reported already much earlier.

As Flagrum stated I dont think this has ever had a official fix. But If I understand correctly you like the tweak ? If so - then I am happy :thumbup:

This is a long standing issue that exists probably since the stand alone version of DCS:A-10C. At least the parameter for the dispersion in the LUA files had not changed since then.

First bug reports of this issue must have been made long prior december 2013 - that was when I experimented with this, but I know that it was reported already much earlier.

Indeed and it is your solution I have been using for quite sometime now :). Thanks for pointing out how to modify the dispersion. :thumbup:

I tweaked the Da parameter to a 0.0008 and I tried to build a test range for the A10C on the ground where it would shoot at a concrete wall from 4000ft to test for the exact value of Da but my Mission editor skills failed me. I wanted to see what Da value would result in the 80% of bullets within 5mils at 4000ft. ref. http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/gau-8.htm

In the end I resorted to the test range set-up that I used on the YT video and using saved tracks to keep all of the other flight data identical between runs.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recommend using the following method in order to avoid messing with the entire config file itself. Otherwise you would probably make it revert to an older version than what you currently have. I've installed this mod for the Gau-8 only so I won't be able to tell you what to do for the MK108. Here is the procedure for the Gau-8:

To make this mod work you don't need to install anything. All you need to do is the following

Find the file "shell_table.lua" located in C:\program files\eagle dynamics\DCS World\Config\Weapons

In this .lua file search for gau8, find the line Da0 and replace the current value by 0.0009

Do that for the three different gau8 round types listed. You're done. :)

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, here to report an issue. Upon activating the mod in JSGME, the game simply decides it won't launch. Running 1.5.3.5.1218. I will provide some more info once I get home, I'll see if it generates a crash log.

Thanks for letting me know. Hmmm, if you running into problems Axelerators advice is solid. That's how I used to do it also.

I just tested it and have actively being using this tweak with JSGME for a while now in 1.5.3 with no stability issues or Crash to Desktop issues. If you have any clues on what might be causing it please let me know.

Edited by DirtyFret

• 1 month later...

I just played with the 30mm tweak as it was giving me issues.

The k-4.lua in the mod seems to have been an older one than the current update (1.5.3 open beta for me)and simply had no MW-50 for the Kurfurst.

But while I was in there I got curious. Im GUESSING that the v0 for the rounds is in m/s? Is that correct? Your value of 600 seems much closer than the stock 500 value if so.

Also how is the explosive weight measured? kilos?

EDIT: Regardless, loving this now. 2 hits and a pony is confetti.

I just played with the 30mm tweak as it was giving me issues.

The k-4.lua in the mod seems to have been an older one than the current update (1.5.3 open beta for me)and simply had no MW-50 for the Kurfurst.

But while I was in there I got curious. Im GUESSING that the v0 for the rounds is in m/s? Is that correct? Your value of 600 seems much closer than the stock 500 value if so.

Also how is the explosive weight measured? kilos?

EDIT: Regardless, loving this now. 2 hits and a pony is confetti.

Thanks for spotting this. I'll try to fix this issue asap.

I assumed it's m/s and kg, but that's just an guess. I totally made up those values based on my tests, I wanted 1-3 hits to kill a pony and 3-5 hits to kill a bomber.

Ill try to see if I can fix that MW50 issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesnt' work with 1.5.4, since it seems the Config\Weapons folder doesn't exist anymore.

Yep it doesn't , they moved the shell_table.lua to DCSWorld\Scripts\Database\Weapons\

But it seems ED have fixedthe dispersion issue. The native shell_table.lua show now values of Da0=0.0009. Or maybe I have somehow messed up the files. The original value was Da0=0.0017.

If this is the case I am very happy to announce that this GAU tweaking is now obsolete.:D

• Like 1

Yep it doesn't , they moved the shell_table.lua to DCSWorld\Scripts\Database\Weapons\

But it seems ED have fixedthe dispersion issue. The native shell_table.lua show now values of Da0=0.0009. Or maybe I have somehow messed up the files. The original value was Da0=0.0017.

If this is the case I am very happy to announce that this GAU tweaking is now obsolete.:D

I have a clean DCS install, and in my shell_table.lua the GAU8 value is still Da0=0.0017.

So it seems ED is still using the original value.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Oh :cry:

Sry, I must have messed up the files. Should have double checked before "announcing" stuff and jumping up and down in joy. :P

But yeah, the GAU tweak file (on post #1) has been now updated with the correct directory structure