Mission: Hover Practise

Telomere

After passed the test 1, can't trigger test 2 in DCS 1.210.

May anybody can recover it? Thanks!

I really like Huey now.

In order to start the second test, you need to talk to your Instructor via the F10 radio option.

Bring up the radio with "Pilot's radio trigger RADIO", then F10 and "I'm ready for the second test" or so. :thumbup:

Jeez I thought it was me. I got lousy scores in 2nd test so I never tried again. I thought the instructor was a fool so I armed my chopper and killed him;)

I should have thought of that... :music_whistling:

There's obviously something wrong with the second test. Since I usually score high on the first test, I had a hunch it had to do with the heading being off and checked the mission.

The limits are to stay within +/- 5 degrees of the assigned heading (N, E, S, W). With all headings being off circa 6 degrees on the current map, I changed the test and added 6 degrees to all the heading checks; see Screenshot for example on the "North" check.

Next time, I scored 71 out of 100 on the second test.

Telomere, you still around? I think if you update the mission this way, the test should work fine again. :thumbup:

Screen_141026_201422.jpg.3afae9fac71e6a74c762945e66e59101.jpg

In order to start the second test, you need to talk to your Instructor via the F10 radio option.

Bring up the radio with "Pilot's radio trigger RADIO", then F10 and "I'm ready for the second test" or so. :thumbup:

Thanks m8!

Sorry all. Don't mean to dilute this thread but never "installed" a mission before. Where do I put files after they're downloaded?

Thanx for any help.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Where do I put files after they're downloaded?

You could place them pretty much anywhere and then navigate to that folder from within DCS, but there are ways to make the whole process a bit smoother. :)

Once downloaded, move the mission to C:\Users\{Your Username}\Saved Games\DCS\Missions

There's usually also a library called "Saved Games" available from the Windows Explorer; that's simply a quicker way to access the same Saved Games folder.

Then, in the DCS main menu, click "MISSION", on the left side select "My Missions" and your new mission should show up in the list of available missions.

(The above assumes you use Windows 7 or Windows 8 and your DCS World is up to date, currently version 1.2.10)

Screen_141028_021751.jpg.6cf5b2918ee50da8a503fbf0c2f327ac.jpg

You could place them pretty much anywhere and then navigate to that folder from within DCS, but there are ways to make the whole process a bit smoother. :)

Once downloaded, move the mission to C:\Users\{Your Username}\Saved Games\DCS\Missions

There's usually also a library called "Saved Games" available from the Windows Explorer; that's simply a quicker way to access the same Saved Games folder.

Then, in the DCS main menu, click "MISSION", on the left side select "My Missions" and your new mission should show up in the list of available missions.

(The above assumes you use Windows 7 or Windows 8 and your DCS World is up to date, currently version 1.2.10)

Got it Yurgon. Thank you very much.

Telomere. Instructive and FUN!! Thank you.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Yurgon #56 - that's what i was waitin for. Thanks for askin the ? Chic

• Like 1

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard / Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda T1000DM003 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5” HD / Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz / Memory: 24 GB Ram / SSD: SAMSUNG 2TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM / Samsung 42" Curved 4k MonitorControls: X-55 / Warthog / MFG Crosswind / VKB Mk.IV / TrackIR

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to know. Thanks HJ.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hovering with huey in dcs is like suicide. i don't think it is even close to real thing.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

ebabil

hovering with huey in dcs is like suicide. i don't think it is even close to real thing.
Really??

• Like 1

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

Well brother every person has the same expression when he started flying huey but after some practice huey is the best module ever created. After some practic you will be able to fly it with your finger tips.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Practice, practice, practice.

Then practice, practice, practice, practice, practice some more.

I cannot speak to the real thing or not personally, but then neither, I suspect, can you.

I do know that on these or the 224th forums there are enough Huey pilots who would disagree with you. Deviances from the "real thing" have to do with engine temperature modeling, N1/N2 indicator descrepencies, etc., but otherwise it nails it pretty hard.

If you are thinking that it is not close to the real thing because YOU cannot hold a hover, well, sorry to say the problem is squarely with you. Swallow some pride, and go back to practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.

FYI, I am not condemning your lack of skill, I was where you are, and probably am still much closer to where you are than many other adept Huey drivers:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=162142

I can say that now I can routinely get 60/60 on the first round of this mission, whereas when I started I was lucky to stay in the airfield without crashing. I do pretty well in the second round, but it takes me long enough to turn to each heading that I end up getting C grades. Where I still routinely crash and burn or do not even come to close is the last one, i.e. hovering over the containers.

But between 0/60 and 60/60, were lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of practice.

One thing I did NOT do, however, was blame the helicopter or sim .... :(

• Like 1

It does take a while to get onto hovering. I spent about 10 hours practicing nothing but hovering.

You must have Rudder Pedals set up for smooth transitions between right and left (like a dead zone at the center detent) because hovering requires as much inputs from the rudder pedals as it does from the Cyclic.

For a while I was trying to control all directional motion with the stick/cyclic only.

Then I discovered that a little bit of rudder one way makes the Huey move forward and a bit of rudder the other way makes the Huey move backward. So it's not all stick.

You must learn a balance between pedals and cyclic to hover in one spot.

Bearfoot says it right ... practice practice practice.

SnowTiger:joystick:

I have huey since the first day of the release.

I can hover, I can attach sling loads, land on decks or platforms , can engage targets.

But always dealing with controller and never feel safe. This doesn't happen with mi8. It should be more steady. Watches lots of videos of huey and they control the helicopter way too easily. This is what I mean.

I always feel that if the real huey is like that I would never use it I would never get in it even as a passenger. But I believe this is not like in real life.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I can hover, I can attach sling loads, land on decks or platforms , can engage targets.

But always dealing with controller and never feel safe. This doesn't happen with mi8. It should be more steady. Watches lots of videos of huey and they control the helicopter way too easily. This is what I mean.

I always feel that if the real huey is like that I would never use it I would never get in it even as a passenger. But I believe this is not like in real life.

Yes, the Mi-8 is way easier than the Huey.

And the Ka-50 is easier than the Mi-8.

And the Huey is easier than the Gazelle.

From all accounts, some aspects of flying and esp. hovering IRL are easier due to more senses being engaged (esp. inertia), thus allowing better anticipation and response to helicopter movement before it occurs.

But that does not mean the FM as such is wrong or "nowhere close to reality".

Watching expert/trained pilots IRL carry out hovering and other maneuvers effortlessly while you cannot also does not mean the FM is wrong (and, frankly, there is something comical about offering this as evidence of the FM being wrong :), but don't worry seen this line of reasoning from lots of folks, esp. over at IL2 where they claim a particular aircraft is undermodeled because they keep getting shot down without hitting anything whereas IRL many aces flew that aircraft).

Let me ask you this: have you even looked for the dozens of videos of people effortlessly pulling off smooth hovers .... in DCS?? There are many such. Completely invalidates your "IRL it seems easy, for ME in the sim it is hard, therefore sim is wrong" argument, no?

Search these forums and reddit: chorus of complaints from people who stepped into a Huey after being long getting used to being experts in the KA-50. Same goes for Gazelle after learning the Huey.

So, again, it is not the FM.

It is you.

And yes, you never can relax on the controls in a hover: constant adjustments all the time in all controls. Don't overcorrect. Feed the input before you need it. Stop the input before you want it to stop. Allow for the lag in response. Helicopter pilots are living a second or two in the future.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.

Good hardware controls, especially a good rudder makes a big difference.

Also, for a better insight as to what it took to control a Huey IRL, read "Chickenhawk" or "Guts 'N Glory". At the cost of ego, you will see your belief is very, very, very wrong.

Practice, practice, practice.

Then I discovered that a little bit of rudder one way makes the Huey move forward and a bit of rudder the other way makes the Huey move backward.

I think this is modeling the increase/decrease in power to the main rotors as less/more power is diverted to the anti-torque rotor? Just another nice touch indicating the sophistication of the flight model!