The Pentagon's Weapons Are 'Easily Hacked' With 'Basic Tools'

Hawkeye60

America’s newest weapon systems—the F-35 jet, missile systems, and other cutting edge machines—aren’t ready to withstand cyber attacks and can be “easily hacked” using “basic tools.”

That’s the finding of a new report from the Government Accountability Office (GAO)—a non-partisan agency that investigates issues at Congress’ request. In a report published on Tuesday, the GAO found “mission-critical cyber vulnerabilities in nearly all weapon systems that were under development.” According to the report, software-enabled functions that are “potentially susceptible to compromise” include targeting missiles and flying aircraft.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3km4eb/pentagon-weapons-easily-hacked-gao-report

Oh dear...........:doh:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Does that mean the underlying software is some form of Windows? :music_whistling:

And probably one that is "no longer supported by Microsoft"...

The underlying question is, is the operational advantage of a networked airforce / army / navy big enough to negate the inherent risks?

We simply have to accept that every networked thing can be hacked by a determined adversary. It is possible to make it slightly difficult by passwords, encryption etc., but to make it "impossible" means that you have to physically isolate (or remove) the network.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

And probably one that is "no longer supported by Microsoft"...

The underlying question is, is the operational advantage of a networked airforce / army / navy big enough to negate the inherent risks?

We simply have to accept that every networked thing can be hacked by a determined adversary. It is possible to make it slightly difficult by passwords, encryption etc., but to make it "impossible" means that you have to physically isolate (or remove) the network.

Good point. One for which I dont have an answer. I sincerely suspect that said risks are minimized or rather that the advantages are vstly superior to the risks when you believe you are technologically and cybernetically more advanced than your potential enemies, and as such, you will be a step ahead. But that is a very dangerous assumption that could not be true any longer in some years...

have you guys ever researched who exactly funds gao???

"credible" is the last word id use to apply to anything that comes out of gao. gao has produced more bogus reports than any one organization ive seen to date.

their attempt to criticize the f-35 vs a-10 flyoff test demonstrated complete ignorance of even the rudiments of the subject matter.

Edited by probad

have you guys ever researched who exactly funds gao???

"credible" is the last word id use to apply to anything that comes out of gao. gao has produced more bogus reports than any one organization ive seen to date.

their attempt to criticize the f-35 vs a-10 flyoff test demonstrated complete ignorance of even the rudiments of the subject matter.

Haha...Agreed! :thumbup:

GAO is FAR from non-partisan...haha

In fact, saying any government agency is non-partisan is funny. They all take sides. They all have agendas. ;)

...plus look who wrote the article...vice, what a joke.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Never believe everything you read on the internet! :smilewink:

America’s newest weapon systems—the F-35 jet, missile systems, and other cutting edge machines—aren’t ready to withstand cyber attacks and can be “easily hacked” using “basic tools.”

Hmmm, I wonder why all the satellites have been launched into orbit :huh: can it just be to use some extra money :doh: And why would they ever have a "Space force" to protect them, hmm, makes one wonder, right? :helpsmilie: