Spitfire Customized Cockpit: Lists liveries??

Nealius

I just noticed this, and it's quite strange. I'm not sure what's going on, but in the "Special" tab of the settings, under the Spitfire's Customized Cockpit, I end up with a list of Spitfire lliveries instead of the standard "Default," "English," "<insertlanguagehere>".

Is this normal?

Found the problem. If I install the Spitfire liveries in C:/Users/<username>/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries, this dialogue appears. If I remove the liveries from that folder, the dialogue disappears.

I'm fairly certain I have more Spitfire liveries than the ones that appeared in this erroneous dialogue, so I'm wondering if there's something funky in the description.lua files of those specific liveries.

Edited by Nealius

Found the problem. If I install the Spitfire liveries in C:/Users/<username>/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries, this dialogue appears. If I remove the liveries from that folder, the dialogue disappears.

I have the same issue, thanks for finding out why. I see the issue with or without mods although as I mentioned in another thread I do use the symbolic link method as per Skatezilla/uboats explanations to move all my custom skins off my C drive.

Isn't that the correct location for non official aircraft skins nowadays?

I noticed there is an additional underscore in the Spitfire cockpit liveries folder name compared to the aircraft folder name. eg Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX

Could that have something to do with it?

<edit> Just tried removing the underscore and it didn't help. However also noticed as you did that if I get rid of my non official Spitfire skins folder I no longer have a drop down for cockpit livery selection at all. All other aircraft skins work fine as does the custom cockpit liveries I use to get English language for other aircraft

Untitled.thumb.jpg.18368552e4763879972191990c65d0ca.jpg

Edited by Stonehouse

Isn't that the correct location for non official aircraft skins nowadays?

It's supposed to be, but I can't get any skins for my 12 modules to work by installing through that method. They will only work if I install directly to CoreMods or Bazar in the main install.

Ok very strange that it doesn't work for you. All my 3rd party skins work fine even though they are accessed via a symbolic link to a different drive from C:/Users/<username>/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries. I do also note that like you I do not see a default cockpit livery in the cockpit livery drop down for the Spitfire as I do see for every other module - I only see the 3rd party skin folder names and not the 3rd party skin folder names plus Default.

It is like a reference somewhere to the standard cockpit livery folder DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX is not quite right and so the game doesn't see it and instead is pointing at the aircraft skins folder. Perhaps a typo in a path somewhere in some lua.

The other thread is here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190778&page=11 with my post and some replies from some others who also have the same issue. At least one of them says they have a completely stock install and don't use mods or sym links and see the same issue.

<edit> interestingly if I copy the default folder from DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX to the equivalent of C:/Users/<username>/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries, I then see a "default" cockpit livery option. Which seems to confirm that the game is looking in the wrong spot for cockpit liveries for the Spit. Not sure it does much if I choose it though, although it is a pretty small change looking at the description.lua so it may simply be that I am not seeing the difference.

Edited by Stonehouse

Do you think having my DCS drive separate from my OS drive could be causing the skins to not work in the Saved Games folder?

It could be ... if you just moved your Saved Games folder by cut/paste ... then Windows wont recognize it as the special folder it is.

The proper way to move the Saved Games is this:

You should go to your user folder, right click on "Saved Games", select properties, then Location and then use the "Move" button .. my windows is in spanish, but the dialog is like this:

VYlzAM8.jpg

Best regards,

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Do you think having my DCS drive separate from my OS drive could be causing the skins to not work in the Saved Games folder?

I could be wrong but don't believe so as this is exactly how I have it. I have several large multi TB drives that have been partitioned appropriately for my needs. C drive is the system drive with the o/s etc and the location of the saved games folder as a result and DCS is on a different partition. To save space on my C drive partition I have placed a symbolic link to my third party skins on yet another partition. Everything except the Spitfire's cockpit livery works fine. Note that the C:\Users\username\saved games folder is part of the O/S file system not part of DCS.

I never moved my Saved Games folder, but I may have moved the main DCS install, or parts of it, from my OS drive to my SSD. Track files and logs save just fine in my Saved Games/DCS.openbeta folder, so DCS knows where it should look for the liveries, I think, but somehow can't actually do it.

• 5 months later...

Spitfire have no liveries to choose from in the Ground Crew->rearm/refuel window. Searching forums this thread seemed appropriate to add to.

I have three modules: P-51D, Spitfire and FC3. Liveries work for all planes except Spitfire (not tested every FC3 plane, only the F-15C, I assume all other FC3 plane liveries works).

Related possibly. Reading threads I get the impression that every plane should have a Customized Cockpit option in the Options->Special tab. I have no "customized cockpit" for the Spitfire or the P-51D. I have "customized cockpit" (in special tab) for all other planes (including TF-51D).

Mods (all under "Saved Games"):

I have a Spitfire cockpit mod placed under C:\Users\myusername\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries. This is where they should be placed I learned. It makes no difference if this cockpit mod is in place or not.

As an experiment after reading Stonehouse post #10 this thread (last paragraph) I tried copying the SpitfireLFMkIX and the SpitfireLFMkIXCW from C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\WWII Units\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries. Not same place as Stonehouse copied from but this is where the liveries exist.

After doing this I got a) "Customized Cockpit" tab for Spitfire that didn't exist before and b) it contains a list of liveries as other people have seen. Borrowing the image from first post in thread:

attachment.php?attachmentid=194326&d=1537500535

Something I did that I believe is unrelated but I'll mention it anyway. I initially installed stable version and then used updater.exe to modify to open.beta. For this reason it doesn't say "open beta" anywhere in folder names, although I am running open beta.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Spitfire have no liveries to choose from in the Ground Crew->rearm/refuel window...

I can reproduce this situation if in ME I select a country other than UK or Russia for my Spit. Reason: The "description.lua" in the folders under "...Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\WWII Units\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\SpitfireLFMkIXCW" or "Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\WWII Units\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\SpitfireLFMkIX" have a line that specifies the countries for which the respective liveries van be used. If you haven't added any user files, the only countries for which these liveries can be used are the UK and USA. If you select USA for your plane (the one for the Player), you will not be able to select a livery, neither in ME nor in Rearm/Refuel. In the mission, the Spit will then have a UK livery.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Ok. That makes sense for the liveries. It's not a bug, it's just how the program works.

Setting Spitfire nationality as UK I can select liveries in offline missions. Online is the same thing. In Hoggit training map Spitfire is set as USA, so that's why I can't set liveries. Because every other plane I tried, I could set liveries for, I got the misconception that maybe there was a bug with the Spitfire.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))