Rockets OFP2 vs KOM

Taz1004

Was gonna ask this on my other heading hold thread but figured this is separate topic.

From what I can gather, OFP2 is newer rocket with twice energy and longer range. But in game, it has same range as KOM. This is confirmed in nurs_table.lua which shows both having same range, fuel_mass, and work_time. Is this correct?

And as for warhead, KOM is supposed to be shaped-charge and OFP2 is supposed to be HE but what they can kill in this game is identical. I can't destroy tanks with KOM unless I'm sitting right next to it from the rear.

And for killing light armors, infantry, and trucks, OFP2 works better as its warhead mass is set at 9.2 and KOM warhead is set to 3 in the lua file. OFP2 has 3 times bigger expl_mass too.

So what's the reason for using KOM over OFP2?

Edited by Taz1004

In DCS, none. Problem comes from a coeff of damage bonus in case of pen by the rocket, which is far too low, and so 3-4 S-8KOM are needed to set fire to a tank even if the code considers that they all went through the armor.

So go OFP-2. KOM are globaly useless unless, as you said, aiming from 50 m and so be sure that many rockets hit your target. Else, for tanks, use vikhrs or API canon at low rang on the lower flank.

Edited by dimitriov

In DCS, none. Problem comes from a coeff of damage bonus in case of pen by the rocket, which is far too low, and so 3-4 S-8KOM are needed to set fire to a tank even if the code considers that they all went through the armor.

So go OFP-2. KOM are globaly useless unless, as you said, aiming from 50 m and so be sure that many rockets hit your target. Else, for tanks, use vikhrs or API canon at low rang on the lower flank.

Thank you for the response. And what about the range of KOM vs OFP2? Should OFP2 have longer range with more fuel mass?

run several times these two missions below. one with KOM and the other OFP. I did several times and OFP is slightly better.

edit: OFP is the first upgraded serie of the S-8 rockets. Probably better performance in range, but the nature of been unguided make this missile the same in effective range. Russian made from this upgrade serie, the laser guided rockets. Different construction.

Su-25 S-8OFP effectiveness.miz

Su-25 S-8KOM effectiveness.miz

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no damage modeling for ground units, hence KO has no effect that OFP does.

KO problem is that it is shaped charge, so you need direct hit. It effect to surrounding when exploding is minimal, almost non existing.

The OFP is meant to blow stuff at large radius and not penetrate. So completely opposite from KO.

Once we get proper damage modeling on ground units and these rockets hey fragmentation and other effects, we should get better results.

Until then, use HE. So OFP2 it is.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

S-8KOM = HEAT warhead

Effective against many APCs and most air defense units. Usually requires a direct hit, so they are best fired in (accurate) bursts to increase hit probability. Splash damage is minimal.

S-8OFP2 = HE fragmentation warhead

Effective against infantry and unarmored targets. Larger splash damage. Generally ineffective against any armor. Shorter range compared to KOM.

So, if you're just going up against 'soft' targets, pick the OFP2. For everything else pick KOM. You can always bridge the gap with your 30mm cannon.

S-8KOM = HEAT warhead

Effective against many APCs and most air defense units. Usually requires a direct hit, so they are best fired in (accurate) bursts to increase hit probability. Splash damage is minimal.

S-8OFP2 = HE fragmentation warhead

Effective against infantry and unarmored targets. Larger splash damage. Generally ineffective against any armor. Shorter range compared to KOM.

So, if you're just going up against 'soft' targets, pick the OFP2. For everything else pick KOM. You can always bridge the gap with your 30mm cannon.

That wasn't the question. And has been answered already.

Edited by Taz1004

For the range I think IRL difference is quite thin and more likely ot be explained by the mass difference between both warheads. I don't think they modified the engine etc as the general soviet idea of warfare is to produce fast and simple.

But aerodynamics of both rockets are not the same in DCS because of the weight difference, as you need to set up your ballistic rotactor to 4 instead of 0 for ofp2.

But again, well, KOM in their current state simply are dead weight to carry. Even OFP2 actually lack a lot of punch compared to IRL results (but this applies to every ground ammunition in game). You need to train a lot, on my side after countless hours of practice I'm able to put un full load of thel in a +-50m diameter circle from 2.5 km. Then they become effective on a convoy for example, but even with high accuracy, fact is that most vehicles are insanely resilient, like bmp serie for example. I would call the rockets the "cherry on the cake" more than an actually very efficient weapon.

As said by another earlier, problem too comes from lack of detailed damage on a vehicle. An OFP2 exploding on an MBT will actually heavily damage it by destroying optics, canon, tracks and all the relatively fragile gear.

Nicolas

Edited by dimitriov

• 2 weeks later...

Google Translate

Thanks for the answers everyone. I don't know why I can't seem to find data on OFP2. I can only find OFP1.

The S-8OFP1 and S-8OFP2 were prototypes of unguided rockets. They were first demonstrated at the IDELF-2006 international exhibition.

S-8OFP_MVSV-2006_01.jpg

Inscriptions on nameplates (from near lying to far):

1. Неуправляемая авиационная ракета С-8ОФП1
    S-8OFP1 unguided aircraft rocket

2. Неуправляемая авиационная ракета С-8ОФП2
    S-8OFP2 unguided aircraft rocket

3. Корректируемая авиационная ракета С-8КОР1
    S-8KOR1 guided aircraft rocket

The S-8OFP1 rocket with a penetrating HE-fragmentation warhead and an instantaneous or delay contact fuse.

The S-8OFP2 rocket with a HE-fragmentation warhead and an instantaneous contact fuse.

In the 2010s, on the basis of these prototypes, a general-purpose S-8OFP Broneboyschik (Russian: Бронебойщик, 'Anti-tank rifleman') rocket was developed, in which the performance characteristics of the above two prototypes were combined. In 2019, the test cycle of this rocket was completed, and as the press writes, it began to be supplied to the Russian Aerospace Forces.

S-8OFP_MVSV-2006_02.jpg

Original in Russian

С-8ОФП1 и С-8ОФП2 – это были прототипы НАР. Впервые они были продемонстрированы на международной выставке МВСВ-2006.

Надписи на фирменных табличках (от ближней лежащей, к дальней):

1. Неуправляемая авиационная ракета С-8ОФП1

2. Неуправляемая авиационная ракета С-8ОФП2

3. Корректируемая авиационная ракета С-8КОР1

Ракета С-8ОФП1 с осколочно-фугасной БЧ проникающего типа и контактным взрывателем мгновенного или замедленного действия.

Ракета С-8ОФП2 с осколочно-фугасной БЧ и контактным взрывателем мгновенного действия.

В 2010-х годах на основе этих прототипов была разработана единая ракета С-8ОФП «Бронебойщик», в которой объединили ТТХ вышеупомянутых двух прототипов. В 2019 году завершился цикл испытаний этой ракеты, и как пишет пресса, она начала поставляться в ВКС России.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

The S-8OFP1 and S-8OFP2 were prototypes of unguided rockets. They were first demonstrated

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in the performance characteristics of OFP2. Mainly the range. Is that indicated in the image? Looks like the lower half page of that pamphlet?

Google Translate

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in the performance characteristics of OFP2. Mainly the range. Is that indicated in the image? Looks like the lower half page of that pamphlet?

In the photo, it is rather difficult to distinguish the performance characteristics of the S-8OFP2 rocket. Personally, I could only read what is indicated there in order (from top to bottom):

• Caliber…
  • Length…
  • Weight…
  • Warhead…
  • Warhead weight…
  • Explosive weight…
  • Fuse…
  • Carrier type…
  • <…>

The rest of the S-8OFP2 nameplate in the photo is obstructed by the S-8OFP1 rocket.

I already wrote about the type of warhead and the fuse in my previous post. Perhaps you can make out the numbers on the nameplate better than me.

Original in Russian

На фото довольно сложно различить ТТХ ракеты С-8ОФП2. Лично я смог прочитать только то, что там по порядку указаны (сверху вниз):

• Калибр…
  • Длина…
  • Вес…
  • Боевая часть…
  • Вес боевой части…
  • Вес взрывчатого вещества…
  • Взрыватель…
  • Тип носителя…
  • <…>

Остальная часть фирменной таблички С-8ОФП2 на фото загорожена ракетой С-8ОФП1.

Про тип боевой части и взрыватель я уже писа́л в своём предыдущем посте. Возможно Вы лучше меня сможете разглядеть цифры на фирменной табличке.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

• 11 months later...