FLIR NEW SYMBOLOGY BUG - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 06:07 AM   #21
Tholozor

Great find, that's some pretty crisp footage. Also interesting to see that in the first video, at 2:13, you can see the time in the HUD has a 'Z' indication instead of 'EI.' I wonder if that was a software conversion. Not trying to say ours needs to be changed, just something interesting to see.

Last edited by Tholozor; 05-21-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Tholozor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:45 AM   #22
fmedges

It’s weird that ED was very adamant about what lot of US Navy hornet they were making and what they were not making (foreign hornets with ils for example). Now it seems we’re getting listening pods with foreign export symbology. It’s an odd choice if that’s true.
fmedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:54 AM   #23
Andrei
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Andrei

This is likely to do with the information that ED can use vs what is theoretically available. Perhaps for some reasons they decided to model functionality after the export version of the Hornet to avoid some nasty guests and questions. There's not much we can do about it.
Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:02 AM   #24
AvroLanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbr View Post
Many thanks for the footage. That’s a good find. So OK, it’s real, that’s somethings at least. It differs from the USMC implementation for sure. My guess is that since Marine hornets have software loaded for both Litening and ATFLIR (I believe), the interfaces are designed to have some common functionality between the two. Where the basic export pod functionality is what we have now. Very nice for Spanish skin fans......

Hopefully we’ll see ATFLIR later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedges View Post
It’s weird that ED was very adamant about what lot of US Navy hornet they were making and what they were not making (foreign hornets with ils for example). Now it seems we’re getting listening pods with foreign export symbology. It’s an odd choice if that’s true.
Looks like that’s the case. I imagine finding the correct documentation is the issue. We’ve now got a Spanish pod on a Marine jet with a nice Navy carrier to fly it off. Not the best for immersion.
AvroLanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #25
Santi871
Beta Tester

Considering AFAIK the US is the only major user of the ATFLIR, I assume the ATFLIR symbology will match USN Hornet videos better
Santi871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #26
AvroLanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi871 View Post
Considering AFAIK the US is the only major user of the ATFLIR, I assume the ATFLIR symbology will match USN Hornet videos better
Until we get the Malaysian draft export ATFLIR, with all sorts of strange wiggles and squiggles.....

Bring on ATFLIR.
AvroLanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #27
med-taha

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbr View Post
Good find.

this video really lets me guess if our f/a-18 is really a USN / USMC lot 20 hornet (around 2005) ... and lets me also wonder if we’ll get someday the CAS page etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroLanc View Post
Until we get the Malaysian draft export ATFLIR, with all sorts of strange wiggles and squiggles.....

Bring on ATFLIR.
Well said

Last edited by med-taha; 05-21-2020 at 09:17 AM.
med-taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #28
BarTzi

I wasn't expecting that. I've never seen that symbology before on a US hornet. Well, those videos don't show target coordinates and compass even when the pod points to a target. I guess we shouldn't expect those at this time.

I don't think I will ever use the LITENING if it really ends up being incapable of displaying the two features mentioned above. It makes me feel bad for the devs putting their time into it.
BarTzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #29
Swiftwin9s

Yeah the litening was sold to us as very similar to atflir due them using a common hornet interface. Was that just words to placate the masses after they said atflir wouldnt be coming for some time?

It looks like despite everything that's been said, we are in fact getting a Spanish hornet, not a USMC/USN one.
Swiftwin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #30
obious

I would love Nine or someone from ED to comment here?
Asus Rampage IV Extreme - Intel 3930K @ 4.6Ghz - Zotac GTX 1080TI - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz 16GB RAM - Samsung 860 Evo SSD - Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - HP Reverb
obious is offline   Reply With Quote