Harrier CAS page update - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #41
KlarSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenSim View Post
Everything in the Situation Update and subsequent 9-line is intended to make the pilot understand what is happening on the ground without necessarily having to see it with their own eyes. Yes, the situation can change between the attack brief being passed and the aircraft rolling in, and for those situations exceptions may be passed. Yes, the pilots aren't always working with qualified JTACs, and for those situatuons there is more onus on the pilots to pull the necessary information from the ground unit to mitigate risk to friendlies. But both of those situations are considered fairly varsity and the pilots need to begin with brilliance in the basics before they may consider themselves prepared to deal with highly situational problems like that.

CAS is a lot broader in scope than you seem to think it is. If you want to actually learn what it entails, cracking open an old JP 3-09.3 is a good place to start. Especially some of the vignettes at the tail end of the pub that specifically go over situations where the pilots can't see the targets with their own eyes.

The stuff you seem to be describing is more akin to only a narrow subset of CAS (Type 1 Bomb on Target), which is a much more common method for helicopters and may also use a friendly-centric rotary-wing 5-line or Close Combat Attack (CCA) brief. This isn't representative of all CAS. This is merely 1 of 6 options that may be used dependent on which option is best suited for the job.
For fixed wing western CAS, Type 2 Bomb on Coordinate with a JDAM is probly the 90-95% solution over the last...5-10 years or more. You can do CAS of that variety without ever getting a sensor (eyeball or TPOD) on the target if needed (although its definitely preferred).

Hell even if you find the target in the TPOD, normally you read the coordinates off the TPOD to the JTAC, he then reads back the exact same coordinates to you so you can do it type 2 Bomb on Coordinate...
KlarSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:29 AM   #42
kengou

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
No but you can create them during mission either by using a "time more" condition, or more elaborate by conditions based on position (zone), etc. look for the "mark to" actions, to create markpoints.
I got this working tonight! Thanks. Still need to import using the keyboard combo... in the future it would be great to have a datalink message pop up for you to accept the cas brief.
Hangar: A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | C-101 | F-14 | F-15C | F-16C | F-5E II | F/A-18C | FW-190A-8 | FW-190D-9 | JF-17 | KA-50 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | MiG-29 | P-51D | UH-1H | Spitfire | SU-27 | SU-33

Cockpit: Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5
kengou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #43
fjacobsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengou View Post
I got this working tonight! Thanks. Still need to import using the keyboard combo... in the future it would be great to have a datalink message pop up for you to accept the cas brief.
Could You please attach a mission file ?
I have managed to generate target points using the mission editor with the names T00, T01, T02, T03... - using trigger points -> Once - Time more than 5 sec -> "Mark to group".

But using Ralt+Rshift+8 does not transfer them into the CAS page.

Using the F10 map works fine though.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #44
kengou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacobsen View Post
Could You please attach a mission file ?
I have managed to generate target points using the mission editor with the names T00, T01, T02, T03... - using trigger points -> Once - Time more than 5 sec -> "Mark to group".

But using Ralt+Rshift+8 does not transfer them into the CAS page.

Using the F10 map works fine though.
Miz file attached.

I don't know if this was necessary for it to work, but I had different timings for different mark points creating, instead of all at once. Maybe that helped? I also used Mark To Coalition.
Attached Files
File Type: miz AV8B anti-infantry cas.miz (95.6 KB, 16 views)
Hangar: A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | C-101 | F-14 | F-15C | F-16C | F-5E II | F/A-18C | FW-190A-8 | FW-190D-9 | JF-17 | KA-50 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | MiG-29 | P-51D | UH-1H | Spitfire | SU-27 | SU-33

Cockpit: Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5
Old 03-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #45
fjacobsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengou View Post
Miz file attached.

I don't know if this was necessary for it to work, but I had different timings for different mark points creating, instead of all at once. Maybe that helped? I also used Mark To Coalition.

Thanks alot for the example.
Now it works for me too

I triggered all 4 target marks at once - so no need for seperate timings.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #46
RichardG

Why can't the in-game dedicated JTAC send the info? Why are they coding it to have to mess around with the F10 map??

Works well for the A-10.
RichardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #47
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardG View Post
Why can't the in-game dedicated JTAC send the info? Why are they coding it to have to mess around with the F10 map??

Works well for the A-10.
Different Avionics, different Datalink, different Format, different Weapon implementation. IRL as well as in game...

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #48
Hawkeye_UK

Guys just a little tip for those of us in VR.

In Voice Attack i have entered "Prepare target 1". "Prepare target 2" etc and this then types on the markpoint tag T01, T02 etc - its saves me alot of time and also on Multiplayer mission planning its super convenient not having to reach for the keyboard and peak underneath the Rift S to start typing.

Also i keybinded the left MFD buttons 12/13 from memory to "waypoint up", Waypoint down" again just means don't have to start using the mouse when flying competitively as i tend to need to be more Hotas in the harrier than other modules.

Obviously buy Voice Attack if haven't already done so its a real game changer, don't need viacomm its easy to make your own profiles plus have found remember them better!

Anyway just a little tip may help some who haven't thought about or know about voice attack,

DCS | F14B | AV-8B | F18C | F16C | A10C | JF17 | Viggen | L-39 | MIG 15 | SU27 | SU33 | F15 | MI8 | Huey | KA50 | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy

Liquid Cooled i7 9700K @ 5Ghz & OC RTX2080 Ti Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz | 500GB SSD m2 | Oculus Rift S | TM Warthog | Virpil Warbrd Base | Saitek Side Panel | Steel Series Arctis 7 Heaphones
Hawkeye_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:09 AM   #49
kengou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_UK View Post
Guys just a little tip for those of us in VR.

In Voice Attack i have entered "Prepare target 1". "Prepare target 2" etc and this then types on the markpoint tag T01, T02 etc - its saves me alot of time and also on Multiplayer mission planning its super convenient not having to reach for the keyboard and peak underneath the Rift S to start typing.

Also i keybinded the left MFD buttons 12/13 from memory to "waypoint up", Waypoint down" again just means don't have to start using the mouse when flying competitively as i tend to need to be more Hotas in the harrier than other modules.

Obviously buy Voice Attack if haven't already done so its a real game changer, don't need viacomm its easy to make your own profiles plus have found remember them better!

Anyway just a little tip may help some who haven't thought about or know about voice attack,
No need to bind waypoint up/down, the existing HOTAS button Waypoint Increment is plenty for this task without deviating from realistic bindings

Old 03-23-2020, 12:50 AM   #50
ChickenSim

There really isn't a good reason the in-game JTAC shouldn't also work with the Harrier, or Hornet for that matter.

The procedures are the same (by design, it's a NATO standard). The JTAC should be able to provide a grid coordinate in whichever format the aircraft takes (and the Harrier ought to be able to enter MGRS/GRID anyway). The technical differences between the datalinks (SADL vs. ATHS) are mostly transparent to the player, since both should be able to transmit and receive a digital attack brief.
ChickenSim is offline   Reply With Quote